Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

Cocaine Blues (1989)

by Kerry Greenwood

Series: Phryne Fisher Mysteries (1)

Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers (aulsmith)
    Queen of Hearts by Rhys Bowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Royal Spyness mysteries are set in England in the 1930s; the Phryne Fisher mysteries take place in Australia in the 1920s. Both cozy historical mystery series feature smart, independent, and unconventional heroines, and strong evocations of time and place.… (more)

English (92)  French (1)  All (93)

I have to wonder how interesting of a read this would have been if I had never seen Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Especially since this first book sets up all (or most of) the characters you're familiar with from the TV show.

Now, the police detective is not as you might presume he would be from the get-go (or perhaps I'm forgetting the first episode myself). And her aunt is nowhere to be seen. But Phryne herself is even better in print - I mean, props to Essie Davis, and her ability to pull off both the fashion and the flair - but the book gives you more to sink your teeth into with regards to her character. It makes her unapologetically pleased she's rich, a little bit more unsure of how Australia will treat her, and far more sexy (although I suppose that could be argued as well).

These books are also quite short - more like long novellas than full-length mysteries - so, you can pack a few of 'em in at one sitting, if you'd like. Likely, they're the perfect beach read, although I'm not sure I want to wait 6 months to read the next one. ( )
  khage | Oct 1, 2017 |
I'm not impressed. The main character, though she inerrantly chooses good friends and cohorts, remains completely above the fray, superior to everyone. She faults the lavish displays of others while wearing an over-the top Erté gown. She is friends with the lower classes and financially generous, but I couldn't like her.

The book cover is nice though, and the audio narrator's pronunciation is fun. ( )
  2wonderY | Jul 13, 2017 |
This book introduces The Honourable Phryne Fisher, Lady Detective – except to those of us who discovered Phryne through the television series adapted from the books. Having loved the show, I decided to start reading the books and see how they compared.

In this first Miss Fisher novel, Phryne catches a thief at a dinner party and a couple there are so taken with her quick thinking and detection that they ask her to travel from her home in London to her native Australia; they believe that their daughter Lydia is being poisoned by her husband and wish Phryne to investigate. However, when Phryne arrives she discovers that things are far more complicated than they first seem, and also gets involved with tracking down an illegal abortionist. Busy she may be, but our indefatigable detective also manages to find time for a fling with a Russian dancer!

This book was highly enjoyable in many ways – Kerry Greenwood has an amusing turn of phrase and is very good at picking the humour out of any situation and relaying it to the reader. Given the subjects covered in the book, this is no mean feat! In all honesty the plot is a little bit clunky and gets a bit tied up in itself – it felt like there was maybe a bit too much going on, and the poisoning case was actually less interesting than the search for the illegal abortionist. However, it is the first book in the series and does a good job of introducing us to several characters who (as viewers of the show will know) become regulars in the storylines; Phryne’s maid Dot; the two cab drivers Bert and Cec; and of course Detective Inspector Jack Robinson – although for those viewers liked me who adored the chemistry between Phryne and Jack, well sorry to disappoint but there is absolutely no romance between the two in the book series, and Jack is actually very different to his on-screen incarnation.

Phryne Fisher is a delightfully almost-but-not-quite over the top creation, with charm and more than a touch of impish sauciness. Based on the first book, I can only say that despite it’s flaws, I’m really looking forward to reading more in the series. ( )
1 vote Ruth72 | May 5, 2017 |
Honorable Miss Phryne Fisher travelers back to Melbourne, Australia after years abroad. But she isn't there on a social visit. A couple has asked her to investigate why their daughter gets terrible ill now and then. Is her husband trying to poison her?

It always a bit tricky reading a book after watching a tv series based on it, and vice versa. But I, despite all the difference between the book and the tv-series still enjoyed the book immensely. But I must admit that I miss the sexual tension between Phryne Fisher and Jack Robinson that exist in the tv-series and alas is absent in the book. But despite that, the story was great and I love to read about Australia in the 1920s.

Phryne Fisher is such a wonderful character, adventurous and glamorous. Now I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series!

MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I became interested in the Kerry Greenwood series after watching the Miss Fisher Mysteries on Neflix. The book was fantastic. Somewhat different than the tv series but excellent in its own unique way. I am planning on reading the rest of the series (20 books I think). ( )
1 vote nhalliwell | Nov 13, 2016 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.
Also titled:
Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates
Death by Misadventure

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,646,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible