Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

Cocaine Blues (1989)

by Kerry Greenwood

Series: Phryne Fisher Mysteries (1)

Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers (aulsmith)
    Queen of Hearts by Rhys Bowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Royal Spyness mysteries are set in England in the 1930s; the Phryne Fisher mysteries take place in Australia in the 1920s. Both cozy historical mystery series feature smart, independent, and unconventional heroines, and strong evocations of time and place.… (more)

English (100)  French (1)  All languages (101)
I've been on a big Miss Fisher show kick, and I picked up the first three books in a collection. To my surprise, this is a case where the TV show/movie actually IS better than the book. That said, the book is by no means awful--the wonderful characters still shine through--but the TV show is strong and tighter. The big surprise of the book: Miss Fisher is a total Mary Sue. Both men and women lust after her. She's always beautiful. Her ability to predict traps is almost magical in nature rather than logical. I also wasn't fond of the increased risque content. That was something that initially turned me off of the show, and the book had waaaaaaay more.

The plot feels a bit too convenient with an excessive number of characters. The show for "Cocaine Blues" actually improved on this a lot by tightening the plot (Dot working at the house under investigation, and being a key player in making the bust). Phryne Fisher is also a strong character in the show. In the book. she's very young and taking on the detective business to play around. The show makes her more believable because she is far more mature, having served as a nurse during the Great War, she is far more nuanced as a person.

For all my criticisms, the first volume did manage to be a fast and interesting read. I'll continue to read the next two in the collection. ( )
  ladycato | Oct 31, 2018 |
Good fun. ( )
  LinzFG | Oct 20, 2018 |
I first experienced the world of the Honorable Miss Phryne Fisher through the television show adapted from these books. Cocaine Blues, the first book, is also the first episode of that series.

It's interesting to see what changes were made from the book to the screen, many of them probably due to budget, while others made editorially to fit within the set framework of the episodes' design. However, the meat of the story remains the same, as do the characters.

Certainly good to see the characters in their original forms, and I look forward to reading more of the series to see just where the original author takes them.

I love Phryne Fisher, and it's clear to see why most everyone she meets does as well. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Oct 14, 2018 |
A nice read, an engaging, perhaps too-resourceful heroine, in an relatively untrodden setting. Miss Fisher is a wealthy, attractive woman with modern sensibilities, the tale was not too cosy and also not too violent (so perfect, for me), so on to book two!

(Note: 5 stars = rare and amazing, 4 = quite good book, 3 = a decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. There are a lot of 4s and 3s in the world!) ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
this is light, easy, feminist, smart, and fun. not a straightforward mystery but nothing too complicated either. phryne is witty, interesting, intelligent, caring/thoughtful, and fun to be around. i even found all the descriptions of fashion charming, which wouldn't normally be the case.

"Cec did not talk much, finding in general that words conveyed nothing of what he wanted to say."

"A jazz orchestra was damaging the night somewhere, but not near enough to preclude speech."

"'A young man in one's hotel bedroom is capable of being explained, but a corpse is always a hindrance.'" ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jun 9, 2018 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.
Also titled:
Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates
Death by Misadventure

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,188,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible