Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers

Strong Poison (1930)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Series: Lord Peter Wimsey (6)

Dashing detective Lord Peter Wimsey is caught up in the murder trial of mystery writer Harriet Vane. Her fiance has died of poisoning exactly as described in one of Harriet's novels -- so naturally she is the prime suspect. As Peter looks on, he not only falls in love with the accused but eagerly helps with Harriet's defense when the first trial ends in a hung jury. Will she be convicted and executed for the crime, or can he save her life and win her hand in marriage?… (more)
Recently added byblessedNjoyful, Ygraine, private library, rena75, tikimama, PickwickPlockPlock
Legacy LibrariesHarry S Truman, Sterling E. Lanier
    Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (sandykaypax)
    Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (aulsmith)
    Among the Bohemians: Experiments in Living 1900-1939 by Virginia Nicholson (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: This explains much about Harriet's predicament that I didn't previously understand.

English (80)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (84)
Wimsey and the Poisoner
Review of the Hodder & Stoughton paperback (2017) of the 1930 original.

I'm reading the entire Lord Peter Wimsey series out of order as I am able to find them and have been enjoying them thoroughly. Strong Poison is a key point in the saga as it is when Wimsey first meets his future wife, detective story writer Harriet Vane (presumably a proxy of author Dorothy L. Sayers). The catch is he has to investigate a poisoning case where she is charged with murder. ( )
  alanteder | Nov 2, 2019 |
Read for class, well written. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Although this is the sixth Wimsey mystery, it's the first in which Harriet Vane appears. The book begins with Harriet Vane on trial for having poisoned her ex-lover. Pretty much every one is convinced of her guilt, but not Lord Peter Wimsey. Wimsey decides to see that she gets off, not merely in a technical acquittal, but in the only way that will not leave a shadow over her for the rest of her life, i.e. finding the actual culprit.

This is a good story with lots of well-drawn characters. I've long been a fan of Dorothy Sayers. She's so much better than Agatha Christie because her characters come to life as real people. Christie merely provides manikins to effect her intricate plot lines. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
It was strange for me to feel Lord Peter really was behaving stupidly this read. I first read these as a teenager and no one seemed more sophisticated and clever than LP. Then in my 30s the classism grated. This read, the precipitous declaration of intent and its persistence seemed off. Of course it is still a very clever, rather fun read, but I don't think it is the best of the Lord Peter books. ( )
  quondame | Apr 23, 2019 |
STRONG POISON (1930) by Dorthy L. Sayers. A very strong book in the series, STRONG POISON shows why Lord Peter was and is such a fan favorite. Herein a young woman is accused of poisoning her former lover. The case looks hopeless of course but Lord Peter Wimsey must step in and prove she had nothing to do with the crime. After all, after one glance Lord Peter knows that Harriet Vane is the woman he will marry. It just wouldn’t do to have her face the gallows before he can get her to agree to the proposition.
This is a witty, light-hearted book, the dialog brilliant and frothy, the charm of both Wimsey and Vane sparkles whenever the two are on the same page, and while the mystery is not a deep one, remember, it is just a sideline to the real show of the romance that blossoms.
This is the sixth book in the series and, to do justice to them all, you should read them in order. What ever you do, do not skip ahead of this one or I promise you will be disappointed in yourself. ( )
  TomDonaghey | Mar 31, 2019 |

Michal,MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

There were crimson roses on the bench; they looked like splashes of blood.
"I often wonder what we go to school for," said Wimsey. "We never seem to learn anything really useful...."

Third printing, 2006

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,515,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible