Among the Living

by Jordan Castillo Price

Series: PsyCop (1)

Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. Mystery. HTML:

"This urban fantasy series follows psychic detective Victor Bayne and partner Jacob Marks in a world where psychic ability is accepted, if still a bit creepy. ... Fans of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books would enjoy this series with paranormal activity as well as romance." - Library Journal
Once upon a time if you told doctors you heard voices,
they'd diagnose you as schizophrenic, put you on heavy drugs,
and lock you away in a cozy state institution
to keep you from hurting yourself or others.
Nowadays they test you first to see if you're psychic.
Victor Bayne, the psychic half of a PsyCop team, is a gay medium who's more concerned with flying under the radar than making waves.
He hooks up with handsome Jacob Marks, a non-psychic (or "Stiff") from an adjacent precinct at his ex-partner's retirement party, and it seems like his dubious luck has taken a turn for the better. But then a serial killer surfaces who can change his appearance to match any witness' idea of the world's hottest guy.
Solving murders is a snap when you can ask the victims whodunit, but this killer's not leaving any spirits behind.
Among the Living is book 1 of PsyCop, an ongoing M/M Urban Fantasy series featuring steamy love scenes, astonishing psychic talents, gruesome murders, and a slew of creepy otherworldly creatures.

.… (more)

I stumbled over this one and thought the blurb sounded interesting - then I checked the reviews and saw that over 70% thought it was a good or great story so I decided to try it as I love a good alternate reality or urban fantasy story.
Unfortunately, this was a struggle to finish. The plot idea was great, but the execution of the story was just plain bad writing. Characters were flat or horribly developed - unless the author intended the main character to be drug-addled and one-dimensional; the MC's sex interest to have zero personality; their captain to be a manipulative hater, and the two female support characters to be flat and helpless.
The transitions were -- weird and inconsistent as they often made no sense. I found myself having to backtrack trying to make sense of where I found myself and that is something I very rarely have to do. The end? just flat - ( )
  DragonJude | Oct 17, 2023 |
interesting premise but badly written. very flat, no depth to telling the story or fleshing out the characters. there's no chemistry between the MCs, and they meet and hookup so quickly i felt blindsided. Lots of interactions between people are glossed over so there's no time to get to know characters. Poor world building, the murder mystery could have saved it but it's barely given any time either.

Also, this book reads like it was written in the 80's for all of its offensive language, not 2006. You're a writer and you can't come up with better writing than derogatory language that hasn't been acceptable for decades?

this is my first book by this author and i will not be trying any others. thank god i got this for free. ( )
  selia | Dec 17, 2022 |
One of the best listens I've had, ever!

I don't usually like audio books. They're often read too slowly, and I forget to listen, if I can stand the narrator's voice in the first place. I am aurally picky, I suppose.

Well.

Mr. Hugh is *the* voice for Vic, and his voices for other characters are good. So, for the first time ever, I recommend the audio version of a book! I am impressed. ( )
  terriaminute | Dec 4, 2022 |
The voice of Vic lulled me, at first. He made me think of Sam Spade, a little. Vic is self-deprecating, seems grumpy, lazy, and evasive. And yet that contrasts with how people react to him. He drug me in, he's snide and weirdly thoughtful. This alternate reality world is presented only through Vic, so it comes in heavily filtered and too personal, if that makes sense. Vic's ability and experience has made him touchy and wary. And yet, he's funny, too. And, as we quickly learn, attractive to Marks.

The end is sharply, decisively written, unlike many romance stories, and though I knew what it would be, I loved it for its very abruptness. ( )
  terriaminute | Dec 4, 2022 |
AHHH!!! So good but so short! I can’t believe I waited so long to start this series — I added it back in 2014 — but there’s more to read now, so I’m super-happy!!! ( )
  claudiereads | Nov 25, 2022 |

Price, Jordan CastilloAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pugh, GomezNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. Mystery. HTML:

Once upon a time if you told doctors you heard voices,
they'd diagnose you as schizophrenic, put you on heavy drugs,
and lock you away in a cozy state institution
to keep you from hurting yourself or others.
Nowadays they test you first to see if you're psychic.

Victor Bayne, the psychic half a PsyCop team, is a gay medium who’s more concerned with flying under the radar than in making waves.

He hooks up with handsome Jacob Marks, a non-psychic (or “Stiff”) from an adjacent precinct at his ex-partner’s retirement party and it seems like his dubious luck has taken a turn for the better. But then a serial killer surfaces who can change his appearance to match any witness’ idea of the world’s hottest guy.

Solving murders is a snap when you can ask the victims whodunit, but this killer’s not leaving any spirits behind.

Jordan Castillo Price is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,409,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible