The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

The Turn of the Key

by Ruth Ware

Rowan accepts a nanny position in a remote area of Scotland. When she arrives, she is completely taken in by the “smart” house, the beautiful scenery, the enormous salary and the seemingly perfect family. The smart house is completely CREEPY! No privacy whatsoever…among other things..and the “perfect family”….oh no! Not even close!

This book is twisted! Between the completely wired, gothic house, the weird owners, the poison garden and other creepy issues, this story had me on the edge of my seat. Which is shocking…I usually don’t like this format. It is told in letters to a solicitor by the nanny. Oh, did I mention the nanny is sitting in jail accused of killing one of her charges? Well! She is!

The only reason this book is not getting 5 stars is the ending. The end of this story does not fit the build up. It is rushed and completely unsatisfying. But, do not let that stop you! It is still a great read! You do not want to miss this sinister tale! ( )
  fredreeca | Aug 20, 2019 |
Gulp....this is a wonderful page turner but I must admit that the ending left me just a little...empty??? I haven't looked at other reviews just yet but I'm wondering if this is a common feeling. What really did happen in the end? Where IS....the main character?

Okay....now I have checked out some of the earlier reviews and....there is a lot of agreement---I'm not alone!! ( )
  nyiper | Aug 19, 2019 |
This ended up being a pretty good ghost story and mystery. However, as I listened to the audio version, I almost gave up shortly after starting. The narrator's voice was too hysterical, too strident for me. Fortunately, that toned down a bit, but throughout the book, she was given to extend the creak, creak, creaks of the story into very drawn out “creeeeeeaks” in a supposedly ghostly voice, That became annoying.

This story started as an epistolary story, with a prisoner, a nanny, writing a jurist, hoping for legal help. Then it would go into a long part of the story, traditionally told. Then back to the letter. I don't know if the print editions show some sort of different between the letters and the rest of the narrative, but in the audio, there was no delineation, so the flow was awkward.

The prisoner is in prison because of the death of a child under her care, but we don't know any details until almost the end of the book. The half-Victorian, half modern house was a ridiculously “smart” house, everything control my panels and apps. And there was no one to help, no parent, except for a handyman and a sternly disapproving part-time housekeeper. And very creepy things happened.

It was an interesting story, and in the end, the reader learns about the death of the child, what happened. Still, when I finished, I thought, “yeah, but what about...?” It took just a little bit of reflection for me to answer that, and there was no longer any mystery. It's a good story if you can bear to read about the death of a child, but I'd suggest reading it rather than listening. To my ears, the narration was a distraction rather than adding to the story. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Aug 17, 2019 |
Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware is a Suspense Mystery Thriller that has scary and creepy plot twists to the very last pages. I have read every book Ruth Ware has written and enjoyed each one. In this book the characters are intriguing but all seem to have very disturbing personality traits and values. The smart house blended with a Victorian house was an interesting addition since both added to the creepiness of the story. I enjoyed this book except for the ending. There was no real resolution of what happened to the characters except for one person. To the very last pages I would have given this book 5 Stars but because of what I felt was an unresolved ending I will give it 4 Stars. ( )
  CassiesBooksReader | Aug 17, 2019 |
Rowan takes a job as a nanny at a secluded home in Scotland. The mother gives her full disclosure that previous nannies have left because the house is rumored to be haunted, although she hasn't seen any evidence of this herself. Rowan is left with an 18 month old, a 5 year old and a hostile 8 year old. The bulk of this story takes place over the course of a week. You don't know the true reason why Rowan has been arrested until about 30 pages till the end. This was one of those books where if I was reading it, I was wrapped up in it but if I got interrupted, I would walk away from it. It wasn't an "oh I can't wait to get back to it" kind of book. That being said, the last 100 or so pages, I couldn't wait to get back to. From a smart home in which things fail, footsteps in an attic, and a locked door in the nanny's bedroom, everything finally comes together. ( )
  marykuhl | Aug 16, 2019 |

"From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of In a Dark, Dark Wood, The Woman in Cabin 10, The Lying Game, and The Death of Mrs. Westaway comes Ruth Ware's highly anticipated fifth novel. When she stumbles across the ad, she's looking for something else completely. But it seems like too good an opportunity to miss--a live-in nannying post, with a staggeringly generous salary. And when Rowan Caine arrives at Heatherbrae House, she is smitten--by the luxurious "smart" home fitted out with all modern conveniences, by the beautiful Scottish Highlands, and by this picture-perfect family. What she doesn't know is that she's stepping into a nightmare--one that will end with a child dead and herself in prison awaiting trial for murder. Writing to her lawyer from prison, she struggles to explain the unravelling events that led to her incarceration. It wasn't just the constant surveillance from the cameras installed around the house, or the malfunctioning technology that woke the household with booming music, or turned the lights off at the worst possible time. It wasn't just the girls, who turned out to be a far cry from the immaculately behaved model children she met at her interview. It wasn't even the way she was left alone for weeks at a time, with no adults around apart from the enigmatic handyman, Jack Grant. It was everything. She knows she's made mistakes. She admits that she lied to obtain the post, and that her behavior toward the children wasn't always ideal. She's not innocent, by any means. But, she maintains, she's not guilty--at least not of murder. Which means someone else is. Full of spellbinding menace and told in Ruth Ware's signature suspenseful style, The Turn of the Key is an unputdownable thriller from the Agatha Christie of our time"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,419,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible