And Tango Makes Three (2005)

by Justin Richardson, Peter Parnell

Other authors: Henry Cole (Illustrator)

At New York City's Central Park Zoo, two male penguins fall in love and start a family by taking turns sitting on an abandoned egg until it hatches.

English (301)  Spanish (1)  All languages (302)
I am reading through as many banned/ challenged books as I can. All I can say is book banners, are you kidding me? Y'all. This is not a ploy to further the "gay" agenda or anything of that nature. It's about penguins who adopt a baby that would otherwise not be cared for. The penguins are, in fact, both males, but it doesn't glorify same-sex couples or whatever in the hell y'all want to call it. It's told in a very matter-of-fact manner easy for small children to understand. My six-year-old with Down syndrome said "Awwww he's so cute. Look at the penguin." She also said, "two daddies? Okay." She also reread the story to me and said, "Carousel at the zoo. I ride the carousel. Penguins need an egg. Aww, the daddies. The end." She's quite traumatized. ( )
  GhostDuchess | Apr 8, 2022 |
Very cute. ( )
  Georgiaeli | Mar 8, 2022 |
This is a non-fiction, picture book. I will use this book with 5 to 9 years old children. I love this story because it is a true story about two penguins in the New York Zoo that hatched and raised a penguin chick. A zookeeper noticed that the two male penguins behave like regular male-female couples. When the zookeeper gave them the egg to hatch, both penguins took turns to took care of the egg until “Tango’ a little penguin was born. ( )
  karlah1 | Feb 28, 2022 |
"In this true, straightforwardly (so to speak) delivered tale, two male chinstrap penguins at New York City’s Central Park Zoo bond, build a nest and—thanks to a helping hand from an observant zookeeper—hatch and raise a penguin chick. Seeing that the penguins dubbed Roy and Silo “did everything together. They bowed to each other. And walked together. They sang to each other. And swam together,” their keeper, Mr. Gramzay, thinks, “They must be in love.” And so, when Roy and Silo copy the other penguin couples and build a nest of stones, it’s Gramzay who brings a neighboring couple’s second egg for them to tend, then names the resulting hatchling “Tango.” Cole gives the proud parents and their surrogate offspring small smiles, but otherwise depicts figures and setting with tidy, appealing accuracy. Unlike Harvey Fierstein’s groundbreaking The Sissy Duckling (2002), also illustrated by Cole, this doesn’t carry its agenda on its shoulder; readers may find its theme of acceptance even more convincing for being delivered in such a matter of fact, non-preachy way. (afterword) (Picture book/nonfiction. 5-9)" www.kirkusreviews.com, A Kirkus Starred Review
  CDJLibrary | Jan 27, 2022 |
A cute read. Two male penguins are given an egg to hatch after they build a nest and sit on rocks. The baby is Tango. True story.

I checked it out after I found it was banned.

The baby penguins are really, really cute in these drawings.

I liked it. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Like so much children’s literature, the story here, because it occurs in the context of the animal kingdom, is a parable, and so it may prove less threatening to some who might be troubled by its human implications. (But only to people who have forgotten Aesop and La Fontaine!) What matters supremely is that Tango’s story is actually—like Heather’s—the story of a wanted child born to a set of parents who are devoted first to one another and then to him. Penguins, ahem, are black and white.

Richardson, Justinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parnell, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, HenryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Remin, KatarzynaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lita, for Lucy Jane, and for Maddy and Ben -- J. R. and P. P.
To Nate, and penguin lovers everywhere -- H. C.
In the middle of New York City there is a great big park called Central Park.
We'll call her Tango," Mr. Gramzay decided, "because it takes two to make a Tango."

Based on a true story, this charming and heart-warming tale proves that all you need to make a family is love.
In the zoo there are all kinds of animal families. But Tango's family is not like any of the others.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,408,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible