This Land is My Land: A Graphic History of…

This Land is My Land: A Graphic History of Big Dreams, Micronations, and…

by Andy Warner

512,089,928 (3)None

I want to go where the vegan lesbians are.

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through NetGalley. Trigger warning for sexual violence against women and children.)

"A community founded in upstate New York in 1848 and based on a radical reimagining of society, marriage and child rearing...ended up being one of the world's largest purveyors of cutlery and tableware."

Written by Andy Warner and illustrated by Sofie Louise Dam, This Land is My Land highlights thirty self-made or experimental communities, loosely falling into one of the following categories:
1 - Intentional communities: "Groups of people who chose to radically remake their social structures."
2 - Micronations: "Brief histories of the tiny, unrecognized nations of the world."
3 - Failed utopias: "The bigger the experiment, the harder it falls."
4 - Visionary environments: "Stories of wonderful and bizarre places where individuals make their visions reality."
5 - Strange dreams: "Proposals, plans, and schemes, never brought to pass."

Before visions of radical utopias start swimming through your head (they sure did mine), know that the places featured here range from large-scale art projects created by a single individual (Nek Chand's Rock Garden in India; Ra Paulette's Caves in New Mexico; Nevada's Thunder Mountain Monument); to large, sprawling - if unusual - homes, again built for a single person or family (Freedom Cove, off the coast of Vancouver; Arizona Mystery Castle); to honest-to-goodness intentional communities and communes - one of them even traveling (The Van Dykes).

Among my favorites are the communities and nations created by people seeking to escape oppression and persecution. Chief among these is Libertatia, a city-state established in a bay in Madagascar by a French pirate and a Dominican priest in the 1600s. The crew of the Victoire made a habit of attacking slaving ships, freeing the kidnapped human cargo, and then splitting the bounty equally between all. Newly freed slaves were welcome to join the crew if they desired. Libertatia became their permanent, democratic, anti-authoritarian settlement. At least, if you believe the 1724 book A General History of the Pyrates; there is no physical evidence of the colony's existence today. (I want to believe.)

Sadly, many of these larger communities were either established as tax havens (libertarians seem to be especially egregious offenders here) or as a means for the founders (men, always) to rape and traffic women and children. (You'll never look at Oneida flatware the same way again. And I was rooting for you up until the child rape, Noyes.) I really would have loved to have seen more positive examples, but there you go. People suck more than they don't.

One cool thing: of those sites still in existence, many are open to tourists. The Arizona Mystery Castle seems like a pretty rad vacation destination (but not in the summer, obvs).

http://www.easyvegan.info/2019/05/14/this-land-is-my-land-by-andy-warner/ ( )
1 vote smiteme | Feb 10, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Andy Warner's book This Land is My Land is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible