A Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michael…

A Yellow Raft in Blue Water (1987)

by Michael Dorris

Series: Rayona (2)

1,713316,326 (3.84)1 / 61

Starting in the present and moving backward in time, this is the thrice-told tale of three women... 15-year-old part-black Rayona, searching for a way to find herself...her American Indian mother, Christine, consumed by both tenderness and resentment towards the people she loves...and the fierce and mysterious Ida, the mother and grandmother whose haunting secrets, ancient betrayals, and undying dreams echo silently though the years, bonding and braiding together the three strands of their shared past- and their future.
  cdiemert | Jul 30, 2017 |
This is one of my all-time favorite books. It admirably shows the danger of keeping poisonous family secrets and how the poison dribbles down through the generations to affect all members of the family. Michael Dorris channels the voices of his female characters with great skill. ( )
  Deelightful | May 16, 2017 |
This book was very long. But it had lots of emotional parts, that kind of connects with my life. ( )
  sabrina.zhu | Jan 6, 2017 |
The book is about three characters and their stories from their point of view. the three characters are Rayona who is the daughter of Christine and Christine is the daughter of Aunt Ida.the story gets told from their point of view and as you read the story you slowly unravel the secrets that each character is hold. ( )
  TiffanyKhuu | Jan 6, 2017 |
I thought this book was moderately enjoyable for me to read because the book talked about how a young girls life was very strange due to her family's secrets. I like the story's different perspectives in the family and I would recommend this book to people because of its interesting turn of events in the end. ( )
  SimonLuong | Jan 5, 2017 |
For Louise Companion through every page, Through every day Compeer
I sit on the bed at a crooked angle, one foot on the floor, my hip against the tent of Mom's legs, my elbows on the hospital table.

Starting in the present and moving backward in time, this is the thrice-told tale of three women...15-year-old-black Rayona, searching for a way to find herself...her American Indian mother, Christine, consumed by both tenderness and resentment toward the people she loves...and the fierce and mysterious Ida, the mother and grandmother whose haunting secrets, ancient betrayals, and undying dreams echo silently through the years, bonding and braiding together the three strands of their shared past-and their future. (0446387878)

Michael Dorris has crafted a fierce saga of three generations of Indian women, beset by hardships and torn by angry secrets, yet inextricably joined by the bonds of kinship. Starting in the present day and moving backward, the novel is told in the voices of the three women: fifteen-year-old part-black Rayona; her American Indian mother, Christine, consumed by tenderness and resentment toward those she loves; and the fierce and mysterious Ida, mother and grandmother whose haunting secrets, betrayals, and dreams echo through the years, braiding together the strands of the shared past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:29 -0400)

Moving backward in time, Dorris's critically acclaimed debut novel is a lyrical saga of three generations of Native American women beset by hardship and torn by angry secrets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,735,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible