Christmas Shopaholic: A Novel by Sophie…

Christmas Shopaholic: A Novel

by Sophie Kinsella

New York Times-bestselling author Kinsella returns with a festive new Shopaholic adventure filled with holiday cheer and unexpected gifts.

It’s a while since I’ve caught up with Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood). I think the early Shopaholic books are a must read for any young woman who likes shopping and reading! Unfortunately, like Becky I’ve gotten older and busier and missed out on a couple of books in the series. It certainly doesn’t matter though when picking up Christmas Shopaholic though as settling back into Becky’s life is as comfortable and easy as a good pair of Ferragamos. It was a joy to be back in Becky’s world and I’m definitely going to catch up on the books I’ve missed. You don’t need to have read any of the Shopaholic stories to ‘get’ this book as things are summarised nicely.

As you might suspect from the title, Christmas Shopaholic centres around…Christmas. For Becky, it’s the one time of year she can rely on to be the same with Christmas at her parents and the same familiar faces. Except this year, her parents have decided to change things in a big way. They are temporarily moving to a flat in London (hip Shoreditch of all places) and Becky’s sister Jess will be living at home with her husband. So, that makes it Becky’s turn to host Christmas. Of course, it does offer a lot of new shopping opportunities (Table settings! Baubles!) but Becky finds out that organising Christmas is really stressful. First, there are all the extra people who invite themselves – her mother’s best friend and Becky’s own best friend. Then Becky’s WhatsApp Christmas group starts to bicker, as people argue over which vegetables should be served and how they are served. Soon the barbs get deeper and Becky can’t please anyone. Meanwhile, her ex-boyfriend has appeared in the village. He’s now a rockstar and he’s very keen for Luke and Becky to get to know him and his girlfriend better…

I must admit to occasionally finding Becky’s overspending in the early books annoying, because she didn’t have the money to spend. I think she has toned it down a bit during the series, as well as having gained some wisdom. The overall theme of the book is very, very relatable – the excesses of Christmas (spending, opinions, parties, and general over the top-ness). Of course, at this time of year it rings even more true because the reader is generally experiencing the same things as Becky is. I really felt for her and nodded my head in agreement more than once! The subplots of the ex-boyfriend, Jess’s secret, Becky’s new friend and her parents getting hip in London are all loads of fun. (Especially the ex-boyfriend one – a little raunchy but absolutely hilarious!). While I generally don’t read Christmas themed books (I’m not a Christmas fan), this is one that is a very realistic read. It’s not overly cute and gives you the stress relief you need at the time of year. (Plus, who hasn’t overdone it with the buttercream to cake ratio?)

It’s a delightfully light read with more than a few funny moments. The pages flew by and if I missed out on wrapping some presents or sending yet another animated Christmas card email, so what? Christmas Shopaholic gave me the break I needed during the festive season.

Thank you to Penguin for the copy of this book. My review is honest.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Dec 22, 2019 |
I’ve read a few of the books in Sophie Kinsella’s Shopaholic series but it’s been a while. Christmas Shopaholic is the ninth book to feature Becky Brandon (née Bloomwood).

Christmas is Becky’s favourite shopping holiday season, and she’s looking forward to the traditional celebration at her parents home, surrounded by family and friends. When the Bloomwood’s unexpectedly announce they are temporarily relocating to an apartment in Shoreditch, Becky enthusiastically agrees to host instead, and she’s determined that everything will perfect.

Becky is generally charming, if flaky, with good intentions that tend to go comically awry. In this instance, attempting to create the perfect Christmas experience proves a little more challenging than Becky imagines as she pursues everything from the ideal gift for husband Luke, to the latest must have tree decoration, all while trying to plan a menu that will please everyone. Throw in the reappearance of an ex-boyfriend, a stuffy Men’s club who refuses to sell her raffle tickets, and a disapproving Norwegian ambassador, and Becky has her hands full, though she always has time for shopping.

Christmas Shopaholic is a light hearted and uncomplicated read for the festive season. ( )
  shelleyraec | Dec 17, 2019 |
Will Becky every learn? Thankfully, no, not really. She takes on Christmas, an old men's club, online shopping and silver llamas--a perfect addition to a fun rom-com series that hasn't yet showed its' age. I really liked catching up with all of these characters and even laughed aloud a few times. Her parents were especially dynamic and just goes to show that in the end, it's all about family. ( )
  ethel55 | Dec 11, 2019 |
Christmas seems to have crept up on me this year and I know I need to get started on my shopping. But, the ninth book - Christmas Shopaholic - in Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series is here! And surely a book about shopping and Christmas could inspire me - right?

Those of you familiar to the series will be happy to hear that this latest is a return to the 'old Becky' if you will. (I must admit that the last two books that took Becky to the US fell flat for me.)

Becky's love of shopping has not lessened. Or the predicaments she gets herself into. (And these are so much fun!) All of it is done with the best of intentions of course. But the pressure is on this year - Becky will be hosting the family Christmas.

It takes a bit to make me laugh out loud at a book, but Kinsella had me giggling many, many times throughout Christmas Shopaholic. Just what I needed! Just beneath that humour are some truths as well - family, friends and what is truly important.

I enjoyed catching up with Becky and all of the supporting players. I feel like I've come to know them all and hearing what they're up to is like catching up with old friends.

This latest was perfect reading for the season. The door has been left open for the tenth entry in Becky Brandon, nee Bloomwood's life. I look forward to it! ( )
  Twink | Dec 2, 2019 |
A special thank you to NetGalley and Random House for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Becky Brandon (née Bloomwood) is back in a holiday installment of the Shopaholic series and there's nothing she loves more than Christmas! Well, not including a good sale...or online shopping.

It is the most wonderful time of the year. Her mum and dad always host and there's carols playing, the neighbours coming over for some cheer, Christmas pudding, and of course, presents.

Only this year, Becky's parents are moving and have asked her to host. What could possibly go wrong? Well for starters, her sister Jess needs to have a vegan turkey. How hard can that be to find? And Minnie is asking for a picnic hamper. She can definitely find one online. But Luke only wants aftershave, how boring. Where is his Christmas spirit? Then the guest list, and their demands, start spiralling out of control. And to top it all off, an old boyfriend surfaces along with his pushy girlfriend and it is not exactly clear as to what their motives are.

Will Becky be able to deck the halls and pull off Christmas?

Readers of my blog will know how much I ADORE Sophie Kinsella so it will come as no surprise that I was thrilled to receive an advanced copy of the newest Shopaholic book! Her writing makes me smile and if you haven't listened to a Sophie Kinsella audiobook, I highly recommend it, especially if narrated by Jayne Entwistle.

I love how Kinsella capitalizes on the chaos of Christmas. She juxtaposes the frenzy of the season against the time-honoured festivities. We all have our traditions and there are certainly times where I question some of the things I bring upon myself in the spirit of Christmas. It's totally worth it, right?

These books always border on being a little over the top, but they are so engaging and entertaining. Becky tugs on my heartstrings—she is endearing, fun, and hilarious (even when she's trying to be serious). We could all use more Becky in our lives.

This book is sparkly, festive, and simply delightful. A must holiday read. ( )
  GirlWellRead | Nov 20, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,778,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible