Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins by Dr.…

The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins (1938)

by Dr. Seuss

For fun!
  wunderlong88 | Sep 3, 2018 |
I was able to read the sequel before this story so I was expecting that this could be better. I love the sequel than this but I still enjoyed reading the story. It's just that I don't think that I found any lesson. ( )
  fugou | Aug 14, 2017 |
I initially chose to read 10 books by Dr Seuss because I love his style ! I also chose books by Dr Seuss because I felt bad that I never read books by him as a child. I read one of his books in high school and I loved it . Therefore, I felt like I needed to attain more information about this world wide known author. This particular book was very interesting and unlike his books where he uses rhymes as his format. This book talks about a boy who had initially thought he had a very old and plain hat that discovers that this hat won't get off of his head. Every time he removes his hat another one appears on his head. This angers the king which feels disrespected because he thinks Bartholomew is purposefully not taking off his hats. This book is very funny and has a sense of mystery to it. I think Seuss is telling the readers that maybe something you may think is very plain and old can actually be something spectacular. While reading the book I think that each one of Bartholomew's hats is coming from his generation of people that owned that hat because in the book he stated that the hat is passed down from his family line. I also feel like this book teaches children to be brave and respectful no matter the situation. I got this idea from the way Bartholomew remained respectful to the king even though it was not his fault. He also teaches children to be brave just as Bartholomew when he said there is no reason to act cowardly when I did nothing wrong. Overall, this book was very interesting and funny to read. I would definitely read this book to my future class. ( )
  kristeen1995 | Mar 1, 2017 |
a fun book about a little boy and his 500 hats
1 book
  TUCC | Jan 23, 2017 |
It continues to enthrall each year when I read it. Very few children have heard of it before they come to school. It is a long book for a primary read aloud, so i like to stop in strategic places to build the suspense. ( )
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
To Chrysnthemum-Pearl (aged 89 months, going on 90)
In the beginning, Bartholomew Cubbins didn't have five hundred hats.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039484484X, Hardcover)

The haughty ruler of Didd, King Derwin (who would foolishly go on to summon green goo from the sky in his later years) showed the first signs of his silly self-importance back in this 1938 Seuss classic, The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.

When Bartholomew visits town one day, selling cranberries at the market for his parents, the King's procession screeches to a halt in front of him; King Derwin then leans out of his coach, demanding to know why Bartholomew hasn't respectfully removed his hat. "But, Sire, my hat is off." He shows the king the hat in his hands that he's just doffed, but sure enough, another identical one sits atop his head. He takes that hat off only to reveal another... and another, and another, and another. Poor Bartholomew goes through 45 hats, then 136, then 233, as the angry king calls in every expert in the kingdom, from Sir Snipps the haberdasher to the Father of the Father of Nadd. In the end, Bartholomew barely gets away with his head (forget about the hats!), as Seuss spins this weird and wacky tale, a strange thing that "just happened to happen and was not very likely to happen again." (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:49 -0400)

Each time Bartholomew Cubbins attempts to obey the King's order to take off his hat, he finds there is another one on his head.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,515,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible