The Jane Austen Society

by Natalie Jenner

""Fans of The Chilbury Ladies' Choir and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society will adore The Jane Austen Society... A charming and memorable debut, which reminds us of the universal language of literature and the power of books to unite and heal." -Pam Jenoff, New York Times bestselling author of The Lost Girls of Paris Just after the Second World War, in the small English village of Chawton, an unusual but like-minded group of people band together to attempt something remarkable. One hundred and fifty years ago, Chawton was the final home of Jane Austen, one of England's finest novelists. Now it's home to a few distant relatives and their diminishing estate. With the last bit of Austen's legacy threatened, a group of disparate individuals come together to preserve both Jane Austen's home and her legacy. These people-a laborer, a young widow, the local doctor, and a movie star, among others-could not be more different and yet they are united in their love for the works and words of Austen. As each of them endures their own quiet struggle with loss and trauma, some from the recent war, others from more distant tragedies, they rally together to create the Jane Austen Society. A powerful and moving novel that explores the tragedies and triumphs of life, both large and small, and the universal humanity in us all, Natalie Jenner's The Jane Austen Society is destined to resonate with readers for years to come"--… (more)

This book is about grief and loss, how purpose can heal the wounds that life bring, and of course, how books can help us cope. Yet in the end, real human relationships are the key to a satisfying life. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Apr 11, 2024 |
The Jane Austen Society is character-driven historical fiction loosely based on the founding of the real first Jane Austen Society. It follows a group of people in post-World War II Chawton, England who are all dealing with losses and begin to find salvation in trying to preserve the cottage where Ms. Austen wrote and revised her work as a museum. This diverse group -- a widower doctor, a bachelor attorney, the daughter of a descendant of Jane Austen's brother, a reluctant farmer, a young teen forced to quit school and going into service at the Great House, a young, widowed teacher, an acclaimed Hollywood actress, and a Sotheby's auctioneer -- help each other to move on with their lives and share their love of all things Austen. The story is engaging, but the writing bogged down at times in internal monologues in the middle of a conversation that were distracting, a little too much telling rather than showing. Nevertheless, this novel is a tribute to the power of literature and a lovely exploration of the interpersonal relationships in this rural English village in the 1940s. Really about 3 and a half stars for me. ( )
  bschweiger | Feb 4, 2024 |
It was fun trying to see which Austen characters were being used as templates for the characters in this novel about trying to protect the legacy of Austen.
Richard Armitage is a talented reader. I will seek him out again! ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Jan 15, 2024 |
I liked this book ok, in spite of my better judgement.

It started out great---I could imagine beloved Chawton, the Cottage, the Great House, all the things that us Janeites are familiar with and love about Jane's village. Then the characters of Mimi and Jack were introduced and I was immediately turned off by their storyline. It seemed glaringly out of place with its vulgar language and crude scenes.

On top of that, I wasn't sure how I felt about the made up family line and story of the acquisition of the Cottage---until a super fun regarding one of the characters twist made it great---then it fell flat when the group voted in a way I thought was ridiculous.

It all ended well, the bad guys and good guys dispatched accordingly, and I came away feeling overall positive. But I wouldn't read it again.

Warning: includes the obligatory raunchy sex scene and obligatory gay character that many of us are so sick of. I have a hard time believing these appeal to the "general market" when so many people are turned off by them... ( )
  classyhomemaker | Dec 11, 2023 |
Read by Richard Armitage ( )
  Mama56 | Dec 2, 2023 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,442,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible