Deep and Dark and Dangerous (2007)

by Mary Downing Hahn

When thirteen-year-old Ali spends the summer with her aunt and cousin at the family's vacation home, she stumbles upon a secret that her mother and aunt have been hiding for over thirty years.

English (67)  Catalan (1)  All languages (68)
Interesting little ghost story book for YA. You don't start out knowing it's a ghost story. Ali goes with her Aunt and young cousin to a beach house in Maine. While there they meet a young girl named Sissy. Sissy takes to the younger cousin but is distant and often times mean to one or both of the girls. Through the course of the book we learn of a long hidden secret about the two girls mother's. Aunt Dulcie and Ali's mother used to go to the cottage every summer, but then something happened and they were to never return, until now. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Aug 9, 2022 |
I was pretty impressed with this book. One of the things that most turns me off a YA story is hit-you-over-the-head main-character development, usually ending in a moral so clearly stated that it insults the reader (A Monster's Call comes to mind). But this book manages to have a 13-year old protagonist who does have a profound experience over the course of a month, but the most important lesson/opportunity for growth is for two of the main *adults* in the protagonist's life. And it's not clear that they DO learn the lesson, the book ends ambiguously in that regard. But I'm pretty sure the 13-year-old learns it.

Overall the ending is satisfying, the tale spooky, and the characters relatable. It's wholesome without being sappy or dull, and I'd recommend it as a good read for any tween (or adult! I passed it on to my 65 year old mother!) ( )
  AlainaZ | Jun 5, 2022 |
Deep and Dark and Dangerous tells the story of Ali, who is a young girl that stays the summer with her aunt and cousin in a cottage. After finding a mysterious picture with an unknown little girl, Ali is ready to investigate who the girl is. The summer takes a wrong turn when another young girl named sissy befriends her cousin and plots and evil plan against Ali and her family. ( )
  mcervantes4 | Apr 8, 2022 |
13 year old Ali has been invited by her aunt to spend the summer with her and her 5 year old daughter Emma at a cottage by a lake in Maine. Although her mother is reluctant to let her go, she eventually agrees. Ali keeps finding evidence of a little girl who was most likely her mom and aunt's friend and the only hint to her name is T from a torn photograph. But when she asks her mom and then her aunt about her. They both claim to have no memory of another girl. But Ali suspects they may not be telling the truth.
Ali's job is to babysit her younger cousin when your aunt is in her studio painting. A job Ali loves and she loves spending time with her cousin. A few days in they run into another little girl about 10 years old and her name is Sissy. Emma immediately wants to be Sissy's friend and starts acting just like her. Problem is Sissy acts like a brat and can be pretty mean at times. Ali tries to get more info out of Sissy about herself so she can find her parents and get Sissy to leave them be. But Sissy is secretive, sneaky, and possibly more than she appears to be. .
It was cute ghost story. Spooky but not super scary. It had a happy ending too. I can see older children and younger teens really enjoying this story. There really is nothing about this book that I think is bad or inappropriate for the age of children capable of reading it. And while I was certainly to old for this particular story, even I found it to be entertaining. This the second book I have read by Mary Downing Hahn, and think she does a great job the audience she target. Books sometimes makes me the Goosebumps, but not in a copycat sense. She has her own originality to her work ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
13-year old Ali finds an old photograph in the attic. The photo is of her mom and Aunt Dulcie when they were little girls. Obviously, at one time, there was a third girl in the photo, but her part of the picture has been torn off. The back of the photo just lists the girl as "T.'' Her mom says she doesn't remember the other girl, but Ali has a feeling there is more to the story.

Ali travels to Maine with her Aunt Dulcie and cousin Emma for the summer. They are staying at the lake-side cottage where the mysterious photo was taken. Emma and Ali meet another girl, Sissy, who seems angry at everyone and everything. Sissy tells the story of a little girl who drowned at the lake many years ago, and whose body was never found. As the summer progresses, Ali begins to discover clues to the mystery and soon finds out why Sissy is so angry.

This is the third middle grade book by Hahn that I have read for review. She is definitely very talented at writing creepy stories for kids! I enjoyed this book! The spooky mystery was fun and interesting to read. I read the story through in one sitting because I really wanted to know exactly what was going on! The story sucked me right in, and I read excitedly until the answers to the mystery were revealed.

There are some scary moments, but nothing was age inappropriate for middle grade students. I loved the cover art -- very pretty & creepy-cool!

My rating: 7/10
Ages 10 ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
Gr 4-7–Thirteen-year-old Ali is excited to be spending the summer with her Aunt Dulcie, an artist, and her four-year-old cousin, Emma, in the Maine lakeside cottage where her aunt and mother spent their childhood summers. But why is Ali's mother so terrified to let her go? Why did the sisters' annual sojourns there stop so abruptly 30 years earlier? And what is the meaning of Ali's recurring dream in which, while walking along the shore of Sycamore Lake, she meets a young girl who points to three girls in a canoe and admonishes, you must do something about this? Ali soon discovers that Teresa, her mother's and aunt's playmate, had disappeared and was presumed drowned when their grandfather's empty canoe washed up on shore. When a strange girl calling herself Sissy shows up at the cottage and lures Emma into defiant and dangerous behavior, Ali finally realizes who she is. Hahn weaves into the story some classic mystery elements such as a torn photograph, a waterlogged doll, dense fog, and an empty grave, all of which add to the suspense and keep the well-plotted story moving along to a satisfying conclusion.–Marie Orlando, Suffolk Cooperative Library System, Bellport, NY
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Marie Orlando

Mary Downing Hahnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spalenka, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To everyone who enjoys ghost stories.
One rainy Sunday in March. I opened a box of books Mom had brought home from Grandmother's house. Although Grandmother had been dead for five years, no one had unpacked any of the boxes.

This book is about a girl named ali who goes to an old camp with her aunt a cousin. While they are their they discover secrets of the lake. It turns out Ali's aunt was 8 years old and they new a girll named sissy and one day sissy drowned in that lake. Sissy later on in the book comes and attacks Ali's little cousin and tries to drown her too. Read the book to find out what happens.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,294,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible