Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

by J. K. Rowling, Jack Thorne (Author), John Tiffany (Author)

Series: Harry Potter (8)

As an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and a father, Harry Potter struggles with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs while his youngest son, Albus, finds the weight of the family legacy difficult to bear.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A non-magical detective investigates a murder at the magical high school where her gifted sister teaches. Smart and fascinating examination of the tropes used in HP, including the Chosen One.
    Quidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies by J. K. Rowling (LiteraryReadaholic)

English (480)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (493)
That was enjoyable! And now I want to re-read all the books.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more it annoys me. Particularly the alternate-universe parts with Hermione and Cedric each turning evil -- it doesn't fit with either of their characters at all. I can't see either of them turning cruel and evil for any reason -- especially not for being embarrassed, like Cedric. And I cannot fathom that Hermione's life would be so completely devastated by not marrying Ron. ( )
  maryellencg | Jan 8, 2022 |
I can't believe the fucking spoilers were real. It's like they trolled through a bunch of ff.net stories from 2004, and plucked out random tropes and plot points, and mashed them all together. I'm ... Laughing, but also crying. Because goddamn, what a wasted potential of essentially a dudefest of OCs, that no homos so hard it's laughable. (Seriously? This was a lot more focus on Albus and Scorpius, hardly any Rose at all, and never enough Hermione, Ginny, or McGonagal for my taste. Though, what we got from those three WAS fantastic.)

I mean, I appreciate the way the trauma these kids went through was actually dealt with out loud. (FINALLY, GINNY WEASLY TALKS ABT HER TRUMA. 7 BOOKS TOO LATE BUT FINALLY). And I LOVED Harry laying into that piece of shit Dumbledore, but of course, they can't stick with it. Or with Snape. Gotta try and redeem at the last second and I'm just.. Whatever, I've known the plot for a while now, so I'm way less angry and mostly laughing. It's not as terrible to read as I thought it would be, so it gets an extra bump of a star. I'm sure actually seeing the actors tackle it is really much better than reading it, but alas, not going to England any time soon. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
My rating for this book is heavily influenced by the actual play, which I saw first the other day and thought was simply amazing. There are major issues I have with the plot and the writing of the characters. But overall I loved the production which is helping me see past the iffy plot and terrible lines (for now). I strongly suggest that if you can, go see the show first ( )
  sianhopper | Dec 6, 2021 |
Part of it might have been the play format, but the story didn't grab me like the other books. Took a while to really get into, and the protagonist's inner conflict wasn't really a big enough deal to me to feel connected to the story. Also didn't at all feel like a natural transition from the last Harry Potter stories. After a while the story got more interesting, and it did at least hold my attention but I wouldn't recommend it. ( )
  britt_joiner | Dec 4, 2021 |
I'm sure it's a great onstage ( )
  JessicaReadsThings | Dec 2, 2021 |

Ménard, Jean-FrançoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Jack Thorne
who entered my world
and did beautiful things there.
--J.K. Rowling
For Joe, Louis, Max, Sonny, and Merle...wizards all...
--John Tiffany
To Elliot
As we rehearsed, he gurgled.
--Jack Thorne
A busy and crowded station, full of people trying to go somewhere. Amongst the hustle and bustle, two large cages rattle on top of two laden trolleys.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,045,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible