Quidditch Through the Ages (2001)

by Kennilworthy Whisp

Series: Harry Potter's Schoolbooks, Harry Potter (Companion)

9,93790561 (3.59)1 / 103
A history of the sport Quidditch, answering such questions such as where the Golden Snitch came from, or why the Wigtown Wanderers have meat cleavers on their robes.

I avoided this one for quite a while because...well, frankly, it sounded boring.

I was wrong. It was a fun little book, filled with how the game of Quidditch came to be the game that was played throughout the Potter books. The little letters and anecdotes are what make it. I found myself giggling aloud a couple of times throughout the story.

Of course, you've got to be a Potter fan to even consider it, but hell, who's not a Potter fan? ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Spring 2021 (May);
-- Illustrated Edition

My mother picked me up for my birthday a copy of the Hogwarts Library Illustrated Collection (all three [b:Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|41899|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)|Newt Scamander|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1303738520l/41899._SX50_.jpg|4195128], [b:Quidditch Through the Ages|111450|Quidditch Through the Ages (Hogwarts Library)|Kennilworthy Whisp|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1369689506l/111450._SX50_.jpg|6247751], and [b:The Tales of Beedle the Bard|3950967|The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)|J.K. Rowling|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1373467575l/3950967._SY75_.jpg|3007490]). While these have all been read more than once by me, it was an utterly delight to get to settle down into them for my birthday and see how they were illustrated.

~

This illustrated edition is amazing. From being such a tiny slim volume, everything about how this one is expanded blew the rough off my expectations. It's full of endless photos, journal entries, ticket stubs, diagrams, fold out pages, medieval tapestries, articles/magazine/album covers, hand written letters, and advertisements. This is the perfect and only version of this in my world now.

(Even though no, I'll never let go of my original copy still.) ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
Better than Fantastic Beasts - it is a much easier read. Makes me yearn for Rowling to publish Bathilda Bagshot's "A History of Magic" ( )
  thoroughlyme | Apr 23, 2021 |
I enjoyed this short read. Funny, it made some of the Quidditch scenes in the film invalid. Possibly a scene in the book too? I need to reread HP to confirm this. I wish i could look up some of the references and citations in the footnotes. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Two days in a row, and we’re done two JKR books - whoops - so much for seeing less of her! Quidditch Through the Ages gives me a lot less hesitation, though, since all of her royalties go towards supporting two very worthwhile charities. I wasn’t a huge fan of the original version of this book when it first came out, because it was a simple little book, that, while interesting in its history of the most popular wizarding sport, didn’t have a lot else to offer. Now fully illustrated by Emily Gravett the book is a far more enjoyable read! Gravett has styled the book like a museum exhibition catalogue, with artwork that mimics various historical styles, reproduces “artifacts”, and includes some lovely modernized line and woodcut style drawings to tie the whole narrative together. While those of us who aren’t mad know that the materials in the book are totally fictitious, Gravett’s art styles blend so well together and the artifacts are so realistic that we can suspend disbelief. With a handful of photographs the fantasy would be totally complete! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Mar 22, 2021 |

Kennilworthy Whispprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buddingh', WiebeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With thanks to J.K. Rowling for creating this book and so generously giving all her royalties to Comic Relief.
Kennilworthy Whisp is a renowned Quidditch expert (and, he says, fanatic).

AR Level 8.2, 2 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,458,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible