Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2001)

by J. K. Rowling, Newt Scamander

Other authors: Albus Dumbledore (Preface)

Series: Harry Potter's Schoolbooks, Fantastic Beasts (companion), Harry Potter (Companion)

11,991139417 (3.67)1 / 158
A description of beasts, believed by Muggles to be mythical, like the Quintaped, the Puffskein, and the Knarl.

English (135)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (140)
The narration by Eddie Redmayne is perfect! It makes the book ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
All the experiences I've had with audio editions of Harry Potter books have been fantastic. This audiobook is no exception. Eddie Redmayne is the narrator - he creates a really engaging atmosphere and narrates with attention to detail. As I was listening, I enjoyed being surprised at the danger level for different creatures. There were only a few moments where I felt like they were breaking the fourth wall, but it was all in good fun.

I wish I'd been able to see the pictures for some of the hybrid creatures or the ones I didn't recognize. I might see if I can get my hands on some of the illustrations. Additionally, after listening to this via the car stereo system, I would recommend using headphones to listen to it. Redmayne says the sidenotes in a slightly quieter voice, almost like an aside, but it was hard to hear what he was saying.

Emma.June.Lyon | Nov 1, 2021 |
Beautiful illustrations really enhance this updated version- my favorite picture was of the Antipodean Opaleye dragon. (I'd frame it even!) ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
This compendium of creatures from the Harry Potter universe is a sadly tedious and shallow affair. "But it's for kids" you might say, and you would be right, but I can't see a child having much interest in it either. It is at times charming, with some inventive links to real-world beasts, but overall it's only a treat for the die-hard Potter enthusiasts.

It does, however, have two redeeming features:
1) All the proceeds go to childrens' charities.
2) This particular edition [bc:Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|36641742|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|Newt Scamander|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1511361422l/36641742._SY75_.jpg|4195128] features the exquisite illustrations of [a:Tomislav Tomić|573749|Tomislav Tomić|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/m_50x66-82093808bca726cb3249a493fbd3bd0f.png]. His style resembles renaissance engraving style, and is the perfect fit for a traditional fantasy book. For some bizarre reason, however, his art wasn't seen as fit for the cover.

Katrana | Oct 13, 2021 |
With the new movies coming out. This little book that once was made for charity Has some updating to do. I got this book as a gift from my boyfriend on Christmas eve. I already own the old little red book, but I guess my boyfriend thought that I wanted the new illustrated one as well.

This book is more of a schoolbook than anything else. There is no story whatsoever. In the Wizarding World there are creatures that are called magical beast. This book have been put together by "Newt Scamander" for research purposes by the Hogwarts students or people who want to know more about magical beast. The first edition of this book was released in the early 2000's. That book was made like an actual schoolbook with little doodles by Harry, Ron and Hermione. Because of the new movies and more and more beasts getting into the universe it needed some updating. This edition is filled with illustrations about the different beasts and their whereabouts, while maintaining the information part about the beasts.

To be completely honest I did not care for this that much. I already read the old version of this and I remember enjoying it way more than I did this. All of the little doodles and little written things that were in that book just made it come alive. After all of the Harry Potter books getting the "illustrated" treatment. I was kinda looking forward seeing all of the beasts come to life. Unfortunately the illustrations were really bad in my opinion. All of the drawings looked more like they were from different artists than one coherent piece. Some of the drawings just didn't make any sense with the corresponding beasts. Some were kinda boring and nothing really new. To top it all of I even found an illustration that didn't even have a beast in it! After all of the things that are happening in the Wizarding World. I don't think we as fan can look at things the same. We are more critical and rightfully so. I think of this as just one more thing I don't agree with.

If you are a massive Harry Potter fan, I recommend you look into the old edition. I'm saying this because I think it has more to offer. ( )
  luclicious | Sep 20, 2021 |

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scamander, Newtmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gill, Olivia LomenechIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dumbledore, AlbusPrefacesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buddingh', WiebeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellepiane Rawson, AliciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newton 'Newt' Artemis Fido Scamander was born in 1897.

AR Level 8.8, 2 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,901,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible