dismiss

Where's Waldo?

by Martin Handford

Series: Where's Waldo (1)

The reader follows Waldo as he hikes around the world and must try to find him in the illustrations of some of the crowded places he visits.

English (27)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (29)
Perhaps I had always had hope.

Perhaps it had only been washed away temporarily by the waters of time and life.

Perhaps the barbs had never struck me, the teenage yearning been a mere dream, the doubts and thwarted ambitions really echoes of other people's lives and not my own.

For in these moments I knew only that there was a town, a camp site, an airport, a safari park. That these places held the mysteries of the universe. A misbehaving vacuum cleaner. Flight controllers playing badminton. Five men blowing up a balloon.

These were not mere abstractions. These were gifts of the Magi. Peace offerings, or, less charitably, sops to Cerberus.

There were no special editions in those days. We were not yet attuned to such expectations. We weren't quite like the previous generations, apparently happy with a cardboard box or playing outside until nightfall. Still, though, we asked little beyond the joy of finding. The quest was the reward itself.

The hope which had long since subsided reappeared by nightfall. It was dressed in red and white strips, carrying a walking stick. (There was supposed to be a camera and a mallet as well, but they had been dropped along the way and not yet found.)

The hope remained. ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
Where's Waldo? He's hiding on each busy page, along with some friends. Seek and find.
  JennyArch | Dec 14, 2019 |
Banned Book Week 2017. This year I'm reading a few picture books that have been challenged for their content, this one due to its depiction of sideboob in the beach scene.

Alas, the offending breast has been expunged in the edition I have actually read; the woman has been equipped with a securely fastened bikini top by the creator and/or publisher. Once again children have been protected from the scourge of rampaging mammaries.

Having counted Waldo as read, I now wonder does one truly read Waldo? I mean, there are a few words of introduction on each spread, but there is no story here. I diligently found Waldo and most of his friends hidden amongst the dozens of pantomime gags contained in each panorama, but in the end, counting it as read seems akin to counting a bound collection of crossword puzzles as read.

Mostly it made me want find my copy of [b:Aragones Mad Marginals|2363334|Aragones Mad Marginals|Sergio Aragonés|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1314640599s/2363334.jpg|3830324]. Now that guy knows how to do wordless humor. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
I would simply have this in any classroom no matter the grade as a book for them just to have fun with during their free time or after they have finished an assignment. It will help them with following directions.
  tylerschmitt | Mar 20, 2017 |
I would recommend with this book for first and second graders as an independent read because it will allow them to experience how to use their observing skills. With this book, I would have my students write a few descriptions about where and what they found around Waldo. I could also use this book with a kindergarten and first grade class and have them answer questions about what they see. I believe this would be a great introduction to observation skills for students that is introduced in a fun and interactive way. ( )
  Jbrochu | Feb 19, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763603104, 0763619205, 0763634980

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,901,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible