HomeGroupsTalkExplore

"Taukiri was born into sorrow. Auē can be heard in the sound of the sea he loves and hates, and in the music he draws out of the guitar that was his father's. It spills out of the gang violence that killed his father and sent his mother into hiding, and the shame he feels about abandoning his eight-year-old brother to another violent home. But Arama is braver than he looks, and he has a friend and his friend has a dog, and the three of them together might just be strong enough to turn back the tide of sorrow. As long as there’s aroha to give and stories to tell and a good supply of plasters"--Back cover.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"I thought one day life would just get back to normal. I was starting to get it. It wouldn't go back."
This is a story of a Maori family, a story of desperation, of survival and redemption. Four generations centering on the youngest Arama, an orphan. Sex and violence as survival adaptations.
In keeping with the setting, many Maori terms are used. The book includes a glossary of the Maori terms, but only includes a portion of the words used. I found this distracting.
Thanks to Library Thing and Scribe US publishing for the opportunity to read this advance copy. ( )
  MM_Jones | Sep 19, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I started this one a couple of times, but I found it too confusing to continue. The premise sounds interesting, but I did not particularly like the style, and I had trouble keeping up with the relationships among the characters. I didn't finish it.
  Jim53 | Jul 25, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
4.5 stars An absolutely amazing debut from New Zealand author Becky Manawatu.  Inspired by a tragedy that hit the author's family, Aue is the story of two Maori brothers and a family split apart by drugs and gang violence.  It's violent, it's heartbreaking, and it may be difficult to read at times, but the trials of these "stronger than they know" characters captured my attention and kept me reading well into the night. I will remember Ari, Beth, and Taukiri for a long time.  Highly recommend.
  glendalea | Jul 24, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Aue is an impressive first novel covering the lives of two Maori boys and the family that surrounds them. Although the writing was excellent I found the violence and domestic disturbances hard to read and it would not be the type of book I would normally choose. ( )
  dallenbaugh | Jul 6, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Aue is the story of brothers trying to survive in a world of violence, tragedy, and disfunctional family in the New Zealand Maori culture. It begins with 18 year old Taukiri dropping off his eight year old brother, Ari, to live with an Aunt and her abusive husband after the accidental deaths of the boys' parents. Ari wants only for his brother to return for him and Taukiri struggles with fear and guilt as he tries to survive, wondering if he should search for the birth mother who abandoned him. Aue is a beautifully written debut novel and I look forward to reading more from Becky Manawatu. ( )
  JGoto | Jul 4, 2022 |
to Mum

and in memory of Glen Bo Duggan

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Becky Manawatu's book Auē was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,860,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible