We Shall Not Sleep by Anne Perry
"It's October 1918 on the Western Front and Chaplain Joseph Reavley can barely bring himself to look at the body lying discarded outside the operating tent. Four years of facing the death and horror of the trenches, yet nothing could have prepared him for the mutilation wrought upon young nurse Sarah Price. Charged with tracking down the man responsible, Joseph will do whatever it takes to bring him to justice." "Meanwhile, Joseph's brother Matthew, of the British S.I.S., is crossing the treacherous British channel, bound for Ypres. Once there he is to meet with a man who claims to know the identity of the Peacemaker - a dangerous figure, determined that a German Empire should rule. If Matthew can track the Peacemaker down and put a stop to his schemes then there is a chance for lasting peace but if he fails then freedom and liberty could cease to exist for generations to come."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

English (9)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
Rather drawn out.

This was the fifth and final book in the series and I was glad that I had listened to at least one of the earlier books. I felt I needed some background to the The Peacemaker, a vital character who had previously been present only as an alias.

The three main characters are the Reavley brothers, Joseph, an army chaplain and Matthew, an intelligence officer, and their sister, Judith, an ambulance driver. Joseph and Judith are serving at the Western front but Matthew has been away from most of the action. He makes his way to the medical post where his siblings are, because he needs to bring a German, von Schenckendorff through the lines to reveal to the authorities in England, the identity of The Peacemaker.
Unfortunately their plans are thwarted by the ugly murder of a nurse at the medical station, which results in a murder trial and Matthew becoming implicated.
While the murder and its solution is unnecessarily drawn out, it is at least believable, but I found the journey home stretched belief,being too full of lucky coincidences.

I had previously listened to an abridged audio book version of Angels in the Gloom, number 3 in Anne Perry's WWI series. Being abridged, it contained all the pertinent facts without the drawn out explanations I found in the unabridged version of We Shall Not Sleep. In particular, the author really laboured the issue of soldiers returning home after the war - how would they readjust, and who would the women back home marry now their men had fallen?
My personal recommendation would be to listen to this series in abridged form, rather than in full. This will give the flavour of the war without the repetitions and drawn out explanations. ( )
1 vote DubaiReader | May 7, 2014 |
Oddly, the great escape had very little urgency. It was sad -- poor little Belgium, indeed -- but not thrilling. ( )
1 vote picardyrose | Mar 7, 2012 |
I was impressed with this book. The end of WW1 had portents for the future of the world that I was not aware of. Perry`s characters were well delineated and her personal views crept into the story. ( )
1 vote kerrlm | Sep 28, 2010 |
The first novel was definitely my favorite, but I have enjoyed all in this series. I love the Ms. Perry does not romanticize war, but shows the constant suffering and horror that these people lived through (I've seen photographs of people with Shell Shock... and I don't even want to imagine what they went through to give them that look in their eyes.)

Touching scene of the war finally coming to an end. Loose ends were tied up, sometimes a bit too neatly, but it was a wonderful series and I really loved the Reeve's siblings--the three main ones, particularly--and was glad things worked out for them. ( )
1 vote wispywillow | May 6, 2009 |
At last! Finished! What a drearily long read. Where was this author's editor? Who in the world thought she should take 5 volumes to tell a tale? Perhaps only in dragging it out to 5 volumes the reader was supposed to suffer the length of the interminable war as did all those punished by its ravages on their society? In any case, PLEASE--if you are tempted to take this series on, know that it really isn't worth your time.
1 vote kaulsu | Sep 28, 2008 |
"Home for Christmas this year, Chaplain?" Barshey Gee said with a wry smile.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,748,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible