Come to Grief by Dick Francis

Come to Grief (1995)

by Dick Francis

Series: Sid Halley (3)

The one-handed former jockey, Sid Halley, hunts for the man who mutilates ponies by amputating their hooves, and discovers the suspect is former jockey Ellis Quint. What's more, Quint has powerful interests on his side and they are out to get Halley. By the author of Whip Hand.

English (17)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (20)
[Come to Grief], [[Dick Francis]]
I haven’t reread this title often because I don’t like the idea of someone cutting through the fetlock of a young colt to hear the ‘scrunch’ and feel the power. But the book is really about friendship and the loss of it, the fatal illness of a child, the disbelief of the public that their hero could do this terrible, horrible act. It is about the many faces of grief, for the living and the dead, human and horse.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ ( )
  pmarshall | Dec 24, 2018 |
Ellis Quint cutting off horses hocks ( )
  keithgordonvernon | May 1, 2017 |
Dick Francis was one of my favorite mystery writers and this one, about Sid Halley, is excellent. There was something about the books featuring Sid Halley that really resonated with me. I wouldn't mooch this one out except I have to clear out a lot of books before we move. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Sep 18, 2015 |
Dick Francis is one of my favorite authors. I have found all of his novels to be great stories, suspenseful, and fast reads. There are always characters you love and others not so much. The main character has been developed across multiple novels so he is familiar and interesting. The setting of horse racing and the horse racing industry in England has been very informative and, I assume, very close to the truth given the author's background. ( )
  LCB1016 | Jan 21, 2015 |
This mystery held up pretty well as a reread although I did remember who was maiming the horses. However it had been long enough since i read Come to Grief previously that the why and the details were like reading a new book. Sid Halley is the investigator and while he isn't my favorite Francis hero this is, for me, the best of the books featuring him. The novel begins with the upcoming trial of Ellis Quint and the suicide of Quint's mother. We learn from Halley how he came to believe in Quint's guilt and then we begin to learn along with Sid just what else is going on behind the scenes. Overall, the story follows the standard Francis plot so his fans will enjoy the book, especially those who have read Whip Hand and Odds Against.
  hailelib | Jul 17, 2013 |

Dick Francisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Case, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
kRUTZSCH; mALTETranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrick and Felix, always
I had this friend, you see, that everyone loved.
This is the main work for Come to Grief by Dick Francis. DO NOT combine with any abridgement, adaptation, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

When Halley becomes convinced hat one of his closest friends - and one of the racing world's most beloved figures - is behind a series of shockingly violent act,  one h most troubling case of his career. No one wants to believe that Ellis Quint could be guilty - so the public and the press are turning their wrath against Halley instead.
Now he's facing opposition at every turn - and finding danger lies straight ahead ....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,137,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible