HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Pet Sematary

by Stephen King

12,826213418 (3.76)1 / 260
""Sometimes dead is better...."" When the Creeds move into a beautiful old house in rural Maine, it all seems too good to be true: physician father, beautiful wife, charming little daughter, adorable infant son -- and now an idyllic home. As a family, they've got it all...right down to the friendly cat. But the nearby woods hide a blood-chilling truth -- more terrifying than death itself...and hideously more powerful.… (more)

English (194)  French (4)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (213)
It's weird how you can watch versions of a book then read the book and still be mystified by it's contents even though you know the story.

Overall, I wouldn't claim this book is scary, as it deals with the idea of life and death. Thoughts we've all pondered over before. (I would assume.) This book did have way more sex than i was expecting, but it added to the life aspects of the story.

In King fashion, the terrifying aspect of the story are amplified by the way he constructs a story. Through the introspective thoughts of the characters, the way that the reader knows how it will end before it happens, and leaves you yelling at the cast. And the ambiguous endings to threads opened throughout the book.

As always I'm left with a creepy fear of what goes bump in the night and the idea of "are we really alone". ( )
  SabethaDanes | Jan 30, 2023 |
You think you are screaming, but it´s only the sound of loons, dow south, in Prospect. The sound carries. It´s funny.

Different from It, this book does not contain a wide set of plotlines. Instead, it follows a simple narrative of a family leading a new life in New England´s countryside, of course, full of Stephen King´s charm (which I love). There isn´t such a detailed backstory of the Pet Sematary, except that its hidden power was long believed by the Micmac tribe. The thinner plot made it possible for the book to explore complex themes, such as grief, insanity, terminal illnesses and thanatophobia, plus the Sematary´s descriptions were enough to imagine its spookiness, although sometimes it lacked further explanations. But where this book really shines, is that there is no happy ending and evil just keeps rising to insane proportions. ( )
  Rodrigo-Ruscheinski | Jan 26, 2023 |
First Stephen King book.

I didn't think it was scary, but I did like it because it made me think of an unpleasant topic that people my age don't like to think about, and made me uncomfortable.

My only complaint I have is all the descriptions... I didn't care much for reading 2 or 3 pages about Louis breaking into a cemetery, or his weird love for Disney World. ( )
  Summer345456 | Jan 25, 2023 |
Most terrifying book I've ever reed ( )
  FatihAydgn | Jan 23, 2023 |
Not one of my favorite books, but oh, Michael C. Hall's narration is pure brilliance. ( )
  Bookmarque | Jan 11, 2023 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hall, Michael C.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olofsson, LennartTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvio-Jaatinen, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiemken, ChristelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jesus said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go, that I may awake him out of his sleep."

Then the disciples looked at each other, and some smiled because they did not know Jesus had spoken in a figure. "Lord, if he sleeps, he shall do well."

So then Jesus spoke to them more plainly, "Lazarus is dead, yes...nevertheless let us go to him."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
When Jesus came to Bethany, he found that Lazarus had lain in the grave four days already. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she hurried to meet him.

"Lord," she said, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But now you are here, and I know that whatever you ask of God, God will grant."

Jesus answered her: "Your brother shall rise again."

"Hey-ho, let's go."
—THE RAMONES
Jesus therefore, groaning inside of himself and full of trouble, came to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone had been raised against the mouth. "Roll away the stone," Jesus said.

Martha said, "Lord, by this time he will have begun to rot. He has been dead four days."...

And when he had prayed awhile, Jesus raised his voice and cried, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes; and his face was bound about with a napkin.

Jesus said to them, "Loose him and let him go."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
   "I only just thought of it," she said hysterically. "Why didn't I think of it before? Why didn't you think of it?"
   "Think of what?" he questioned.
   "The other two wishes," she replied rapidly. "We've only had one."
   "Was that not enough?" he demanded fiercely.
   "No," she cried triumphantly: "we'll have one more. Go down and get it quickly, and wish our boy alive again."

—W.W. JACOBS ("The Monkey's Paw")
For Kirby McCauley
Louis Creed, who had lost his father at three and who had never known a grandfather, never expected to find a father as he entered his middle age, but that was exactly what happened...although he called this man a friend, as a grown man must do when he finds the man who should have been his father relatively late in life.
"It's probably wrong to believe there can be any limit to the horror which the human mind can experience. On the contrary, it sees that some exponential effect begins to obtain as deeper and deeper darkness falls-as little as one may like to admit it, human experience tends, in a good many ways, to support the idea that when the nightmare grows black enough, horror spawns horror, one coincidental evil begets other, often more deliberate evils, until finally blackness seems to cover everything. And the most terrifying question of all may be just how much horror the human mind can stand and still maintain a wakeful, staring, unrelenting sanity. That such events have their own Rube Goldberg absurdity goes almost without saying. At some point, it all starts to become rather funny. That may be the point at which saity begins either to save itself or to buckle and break down; that point at which one's sense of humor begins to reassert itself."

AR Level 6.2, 23 Points.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,924,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible