"It is 997 CE, the end of the Dark Ages. England is facing attacks from the Welsh in the west and the Vikings in the east. Those in power bend justice according to their will, regardless of ordinary people and often in conflict with the king. Without a clear rule of law, chaos reigns. In these turbulent times, three characters find their lives intertwined: A young boatbuilder's life is turned upside down when the only home he's ever known is raided by Vikings, forcing him and his family to move and start their lives anew in a small hamlet where he does not fit in. . . . A Norman noblewoman marries for love, following her husband across the sea to a new land. But the customs of her husband's homeland are shockingly different, and as she begins to realize that everyone around her is engaged in a constant, brutal battle for power, it becomes clear that a single misstep could be catastrophic. . . . A monk dreams of transforming his humble abbey into a center of learning that will be admired throughout Europe. And each in turn comes into dangerous conflict with a clever and ruthless bishop who will do anything to increase his wealth and power. Thirty years ago, Ken Follett published his most popular novel, The Pillars of the Earth. Now, Follett's masterful new prequel The Evening and the Morning takes us on an epic journey into a historical past rich with ambition and rivalry, death and birth, love and hate, that will end where The Pillars of the Earth begins"--… (more)

English (36)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (46)
The history has been stained by an everpresent sophomoric twist of sexual inuendo and a spicy dash of TMI romance. Mr. Follet I enjoyed your past delves into historic timelines of town life and architecture. I now think less of you. ( )
  WiserWisegirl | Dec 2, 2022 |
  WiserWisegirl | Dec 2, 2022 |
ONE OF THE BEST STORY'S I HAVE READ IN A LONG TIME. HISTORY,ADVENTURE AND A LOVE STORY ALL IN ONE. BRAVO TO KEN FOLLETT FOR A TOTALLY WONDERFUL TALE THAT I WILL READ OVER AND OVER AGAIN ( )
  TrishLittle | Sep 20, 2022 |
I can't believe I let this sit on my TBR shelf for such a long time before picking it up - and then finished it much, much too quickly.

This long-awaited prequel to The Pillars Of The Earth series is set in Shiring England just as the Middle Ages begin and Kingsbridge is in its infancy. It follows four intertwined lives: Edgar, a young but skillful boatbuilder; Ragna, a Norman noblewoman who travels across the sea to marry a powerful man in a strange new country; Aldred, a monk who dreams of having an abbey which is the greatest learning centre in Europe; and Wynstan, a ruthless bishop who will stop at nothing to increase his wealth and power.

It is simply unputdownable. ( )
  Jawin | Aug 11, 2022 |
Not a bookclub book, I like the era and Follets writing. ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
In memoriam,
E.F.
Het viel niet mee om de hele nacht wakker te blijven, vond Edgar, zelfs in de belangrijkste nacht van je leven.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,246,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible