A Gilded Lady

by Elizabeth Camden

Series: Hope and Glory (2)

Caroline Delacroix is at the pinnacle of Washington high society in her role as secretary to the first lady of the United States. But beneath the facade of her beauty, glamorous wardrobe, and dazzling personality, she's hiding a terrible secret. If she cannot untangle a web of foreign espionage, her brother will face execution for treason. Nathaniel Trask is the newly appointed head of the president's Secret Service team. He is immediately suspicious of Caroline despite his overwhelming attraction to her quick wit and undeniable charm. Desperate to keep the president protected, Nathaniel must battle to keep his focus fully on his job as the threat to the president rises. Amid the glamorous pageantry of Gilded Age Washington, DC, Caroline and Nathaniel will face adventure, danger, and heartbreak in a race against time that will span the continent and the depth of human emotion.… (more)

The Spice King, kicks off the Hope and Glory series. Readers meet Gray Delacroix and learn about his passion for spices especially vanilla. It is also about Annabelle Larkin and her love of plants, and Mr. Delacroix. I was fascinated with the spice adventure, I learned so much. Readers also get a peek at Gray’s siblings, Caroline and her twin brother Luke.

I love how the author gives readers a personal tour of the White House and what it looked like before the West Wing was built. I was surprised by the lack of security and how Congress would only pray for the President to be protected, not his family. I did not realize that the staff lived at the White House and what their living quarters looked like either. Crazy!

Mrs. McKinley is most difficult to work with, but Caroline knows how to calm her.The White House Staff is grateful for how Caroline handles President McKinley’s wife’s. I enjoyed getting to know Caroline up-close and personal. You could not judge Caroline Delacroix by her outward appearance nor from the role she played in the White House and not from her past shenanigans her twin brother Luke was involved in. No Caroline was a special complex, no-nonsense kind of gal.

Caroline had compassion on Mrs. McKinley’s health issues and insecurities, but she would not tolerate Mrs. McKinley treating the staff or herself badly. Caroline was a strong, opinionated, independent woman who was admired by all and made things look easier than they were. She set up parties, special events and carried herself with confidence and ease. I enjoyed the sweet love story brewing between Caroline Delacroix and Nathanial Trask as they are working on the campaign train with the President seeking reelection, facing danger, heartbreak and a crazy adventure that included Luke Delacroix.

After there had been a Prime Minister assassinated Nathaniel Trask is hired to set up security for the White House. The author shares, in notes, “John Wilkie was a journalist who became the unconventional choice to head the Secret Service from 1898-1911….Wilkie and George Cortelyou worked to revamp presidential security, including protection for the president’s family…The Secret Service’s budget, staffing, and procedures were increased, and they kept the president safe until the assassination of John F. Kennedy sixty-two-years later.”

Readers also see Gray Delacroix in this novel as he works with Caroline to help Luke. The author shares why Luke was in a Cuban prison, but it is not mentioned until near the end of the story. The author does make you want to know ALL the details of how Luke got in the mess he was in. Have no fear book three in this Hope and Glory series is Luke’s story. The name of the book is The Prince of Spies slated to release in February 2021. I’m looking forward to learning about Luke the charming man-about-town who was more than his reputation.

I knew nothing about President McKinley before I read this book. I enjoyed the author notes in the back that tells you what is true to history.. This book would work wonderful for your next book club pick. The author includes 9 Questions for Discussion that are insightful and will help with your book club discussions.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!
The Book Club Network www.bookfun.org ( )
  norastlaurent | Aug 12, 2020 |
Title: A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory #2)
Author: Elizabeth Camden
Pages: eBook
Year: 2020
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
My rating is 3 out of 5 stars.
Nathaniel Trask has been asked to oversee security for President McKinley during a campaign train trip with many stops and public appearances. Nathan takes his job very seriously and very personally. He institutes many new rules and regulations regarding who and when people can come in contact with the President. In some circles, he isn’t very popular. He also feels it comes under his responsibilities to keep Mrs. McKinley safe. As Caroline Delacroix is her personal secretary/assistant, Nathan interacts with her frequently to arrange security measures.
Caroline is a wealthy woman with a secret. Her twin brother has been arrested for treason and is being held in jail in a foreign country. If anyone finds out, her job that she loves will be history and many people in high places will be asking the authorities to bring him to trial in the U.S. where traitors are sentenced to a life in prison or worse. Caroline find’s Nathan attractive but very reserved. She and he trade witty remarks and some barbed comments, but will a romance develop? Nathan is very focused on his job and after the train trip has been promised a return to his former job. Caroline loves her job, but if President McKinley isn’t re-elected, she will be out of a job and face an uncertain future.
I am a big fan of Elizabeth Camden and have read most of her books. This one, however, fell flat in the romance portion of the story. There was very little romance. Nathan is too wrapped up in his job to pay much attention to Caroline, and she seemed to wait around for him to notice her attraction to him. They just didn’t seem like much of a couple and not meant for a romantic future in my opinion. Also, Caroline’s faith made sporadic appearances and seemed a bit shallow. I did enjoy the historical aspect of the story. The inside look at how the McKinleys and their staff lived while he was President was so interesting. I also liked the character development of Caroline’s brother, Luke, and his storyline. I can’t wait to read about him in book three of the series, The Prince of Spies!
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. ( )
  lamb521 | Aug 6, 2020 |
I am so in awe of Elizabeth Camden's ability to keep readers completely immersed in historical fiction and A Gilded Lady is the perfect example of her talent. It's very apparent that the author extensively researched these facts and I assure you...fans of historical fiction will absolutely relish this book! This story, however, offers so much more than just history. Family secrets, divided loyalties, treason, and conspiracy are all featured in this fictional story, and then, there are the very human feelings of Caroline Delacroix and Secret Service agent Nathaniel Trask. Will Nathaniel overcome his feelings of guilt and failure in his protection of President McKinley? Can two people as different as Caroline and Nathaniel find a common meeting ground and perhaps, discover love? Does Nathaniel's evident faith encourage Caroline to seek her own walk with God?

This is the second book in the Hope and Glory series and I am eagerly looking forward to the series conclusion that is scheduled to release in 2021. I highly recommend A Gilded Lady for all who enjoy historical Christian fiction.

I received a copy of this book from the author. I was in no way influenced to write a favorable review. These are my honest thoughts. ( )
  fcplcataloger | Jul 18, 2020 |
With a stunning cover and a cast of colorful, multi-layered characters, this book swept me away to Washington, D.C. in 1900 and right into President McKinley’s administration. Caroline Delacroix is a courageous, independent, assertive heroine who also happens to be the secretary to First Lady Ida McKinley. When the new head of the president’s Secret Service team arrives, sparks fly. Nathaniel Trask is dedicated, job-oriented, and straight-forward as he devotes himself to making sure President McKinley is safe at all times. Can a relationship develop between these two?

Elizabeth Camden’s attention to historical detail and masterful character creation, as well as her intricate plot development, make this an intriguing, powerful look at this slice of American history. I love learning more about history while reading an absorbing story.

This is the second book in Camden’s Hope and Glory series and can be read alone, but do yourself a favor and read book one, The Spice King, first. I’m enjoying this series so much, and I’m anxiously awaiting the next book about Caroline’s twin brother, Luke. Bound for my keeper shelf, this will easily be on my list of favorite books for the year.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy from the author and Bethany House Publishing. All opinions are my own. ( )
  swissgranny | Jul 2, 2020 |
In A Gilded Lady, Elizabeth Camden takes readers inside the White House through the eyes of the staff.

Caroline Delacroix is secretary to the first lady, and Nathaniel Trask has been tasked with the President’s security. And despite every effort to resist the draw to each other, these two are brought together repeatedly.

Camden has a unique way of presenting history to her readers, and A Gilded Lady is no exception. There’s another plus in this book. Caroline is not the most likable character in the previous book and her socialite status didn’t endear her to me in this one, I saw the compassion and intelligence behind the façade.

I am looking forward to Luke’s story and learning more about the relationship between Caroline and her twin brother.

Disclosure statement: I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  Suzie27 | Jun 12, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,123,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible