The Moon Maid by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Moon Maid (1923)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Series: Moon Maid (1)

They just don't make covers like that any more... it's really a shame. It's a wonder I finished this book so quickly, or even at all, considering how many times I flipped it over to stare at the cover art again. (On a side note, why do artists keep portraying the Va-Gas as centaur-like? That's not how they are described in the story.)

Anyway, this is the story of a man named Julian and his journey to make first direct contact with the civilization on Mars, with which humanity has been communicating; except they don't make it, because one of the crew sabotages the ship, and they land on the moon. Or rather, in it. Our moon is partially hollow, and a world lies within, full of vegetation, strange beasts, and human-like civilization -- primitive by our standards, but advanced enough to have politics. It is here that Julian makes the acquaintance of Nah-ee-lah, the pale princess of the title. And, well, just look at her. I know I'd fall for her at first sight.

This was my first experience with Burroughs' work (not counting Marvel Comics' John Carter series, which is what spurred me to pick up some of his novels) and I enjoyed it very much. High adventure, decent enough characterization, and bite-size... I found it difficult to put down. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |

Burroughs, Edgar Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Engene, GeneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frazetta, FrankCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krenkel, Roy G., 1918-1983.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:

I met him in the Blue Room of the Transoceanic Liner Harding the night of Mars Day—June 10, 1967.

1st edition paperback, fine

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

In this high-seas voyage, the Snow children join a quest to find the Island of Arcanum, where the animals of Wonderwood are imprisoned and the evil shadows of Malus Quidam lurk.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,455,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible