Sylvester, or the Wicked Uncle by Georgette…

Sylvester, or the Wicked Uncle (1957)

by Georgette Heyer

English (57)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (60)
Great Heyer book

This is one of her best, in my opinion with great characters and a glimpse into a world long gone. The best part about a Heyer book is that it has that touch of reality. The scrapes the characters get themselves into are just as salient today as they were a hundred or so years ago. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
I decided to read Sylvester to take a break from all the non-fiction I'd been slogging through, and I am glad I did. The author has a light touch with the typical breathless romantic ups and downs of most Regency writings, but a deft and stronger handle on characters and situations. I thoroughly enjoyed romping through the trials of the protagonists in Sylvester, and have made a mental note to indulge myself with more Georgette Heyer's works in the future. ( )
  fuzzi | Nov 18, 2017 |
Things are busy at the moment and I don’t have much brain space to spare, so I turned gratefully to the next novel on my Georgette Heyer pile. This was Sylvester, which several people have picked out as one of their favourites. And it’s no wonder: it’s vintage Heyer, the literary equivalent of crumpets by a roaring fire on a winter’s night. From the moment our arrogant but misunderstood hero meets our stubborn, bookish heroine, there’s no doubt what’s going to happen, but that’s not the point. As they lock horns over the course of a book stuffed with warmth, wit and adventure, the question isn’t ‘what?’ but ‘how on earth?’. In my current state, it was exactly what I needed and I might even go so far as to name this my favourite Heyer after the nonpareil These Old Shades...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2017/10/19/sylvester-georgette-heyer/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Oct 19, 2017 |
One of my less favourite of Heyer's Regency romances. The fix that Phoebe, the heroine, gets into is rather implausible. (spoiler alert) She is frightened to confess that her book was accepted for publication and is now seen to have many real life parallels. Although there's a bit over-the-top unrealistic kidnapping of Sylvester's young nephew, the story is entertaining and worth reading if you love Heyer's oeuvre. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Sep 24, 2017 |
This is my second Georgette Heyer book, and it was awesome! There were a few moments where the feminist in me raised her eyebrows, but I was able to quieten her for the most part. Sylvester, I think, was my favorite - he was the first in my experience to be a regency hero who made jokes, teased the heroine mercilessly and showed good humor to those he liked. He was very reserved, yes, but once you got past the "thin sheen of ice," as Heyer puts it, he was kind and humorous. The portrayal of his fault, arrogance, too, is somewhat uncommon, in that he simply doesn't understand what it means to be truly humble or thankful! My favorite thing is his endearing term for Phoebe - Sparrow, which is both teasing and sweet at the same time!

Phoebe, too, I liked, but she was a bit of an acquired taste. Like Sylvester, I was a little disappointed at how mouse-ish she was, and wasn't sure how Heyer could save her character from being bullied horribly all her life. And in fact, at first it did seem a trifle strange that Phoebe was able to come about and stand up to Sylvester a bare few days after she had escaped from her oppressive stepmother. I would think that having been squashed down by the one person who was supposed to take care of you almost all your life would have more...lasting effects. On the other hand, it is clear as you get to know Phoebe that she is still afraid of being bullied, and is indeed easily swayed by others to one course of action or another, and yet learns more and more to stand up for herself. I really enjoyed watching her character grow from a frightened mouse to a woman who isn't afraid to ask for what she wants. ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |
Thanks to the antics of Sir Nugent Fotherby and the histrionics of Lady Ianthe, the flight to France is hands down the most amusing section of the novel. (An adorable dog helps add to the fun.) But Sylvester has several other delights as well: the thoroughly platonic relationship between Phoebe and Tom (watched with slight suspicion by some, even if the mere thought of romance there causes both of them to laugh); a series of increasingly ludicrous characters; and one of the richer romances Heyer had written for some time.
added by lquilter | editTor.com, Mari Ness (Aug 27, 2013)

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Armitage, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowe, NicholasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, JoanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sylvester stood in the wondow of his breakfast parlour, leaning his hands on the ledge, and gazing out upon a fair prospect.
"You are the cause of every ill that has befallen me! You say I ill used you: if I did you are wonderfuly revenged, for you have ruined me!"

-- chapter 26
“I was feeling miserably shy before I quarreled with him, and there is nothing like quarrelling with a person to set one at one’s ease!” -- chapter 9
As for Sylvester, however much it might seem to the casual observer that he was hardly to be blamed for possessing a nephew who was also his ward, anyone with the smallest knowledge of his character must recognize at a glance that it was conduct entirely typical of him. -- chapter 15
Original title: "Sylvester or the Wicked Uncle" reedited only as "Sylvester".

Endowed with rank, wealth and elegance, Sylvester, Duke of Salford posts into Wiltshire to discover if the Hon Phoebe Marlow will meet his exacting requirements for a bride. If he does not expect to meet a tongue-tied stripling wanting both manners and conduct, then he is intrigued indeed when his visit causes Phoebe to flee her home. They meet again on the road to london, where her carriage has come to grief in the snow. Yet Phoebe, already caught in one imbroglio, now knows she soon could well be deep in another...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836082, Mass Market Paperback)

He was every woman's dream but hers . . .

Sylvester, the Duke of Salford, is a polished bachelor who has stringent requirements for his future wife -- she must be well-born, intelligent, elegant and attractive. And of course she must be able to present herself well in high society. But when he is encouraged to consider Phoebe Marlow as a bride, Sylvester is taken aback by the coltish woman who seems to resent him . . .

When Phoebe runs away, circumstances find the two striking up an unusual friendship. Phoebe discovers that the duke isn't the villian she first thought. And Sylvester stumbles upon something he never dared hope for . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

The arrogant duke in Regency England does not realize that the girl he pursues is the author of a novel in which he is the villain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,094,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible