The Four Winds (2021)

by Kristin Hannah

English (95)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (97)
I listened to the audiobook while simultaneously reading the hardcover. It really brought the novel to life hearing the excellent narration.
This is a story set in Texas at the start of the Great Depression. Elsa, married to Rafe and living at her in-laws’s home with her 2 children, struggles to express her love. However, Tony and Rose show her how much she is loved as they care for her and teach her how to cook, clean, and farm.
When the dust storms destroy their livelihood, Elsa and the children head to CA to find work. They are treated terribly by the Californians who look down on those who were displaced. They become migrant workers.
Many say this is a depressing story, and yes, it is sad, but I saw hope and determination in Elsa as she navigates the trials of her life, rising to meet each difficulty, finding strength, and showing kindness along the way. Another beautiful story from Kristin Hannah! ( )
  rmarcin | Nov 26, 2021 |
The Four Winds is about the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. It's about immigration, westward movement for a better life, horrendous hardships, and survival. It's about courage, family and the search for a better life. The characters were inspiring. The story dealt with American history that is skipped over in the western states. It clearly was a researched historical novel that is highly recommended. The book earned four stars in this review. ( )
  lbswiener | Nov 11, 2021 |

I am the crying emoji thanks to the book and Julia Whelan’s narration, so if there were issues I was too busy sobbing to see them ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
A great one. ( )
  oobiec | Nov 2, 2021 |
Elsa Wolcott grew up believing that she would never marry. She had been sick as a young child and was always treated as being sickly. She was a quiet young woman, spending her time at home and reading or sewing.
She decides one night to go out and meets Rafe Martinelli, who is a bit younger than her. They spend a couple of nights together and Elsa becomes pregnant. She is banned from her family and Rafe's parents force him to marry her.
She falls in love with him and his family on their farm in the Great Plains. Rafe has always been a dreamer and that makes him leave his wife and his two children with his parents. The Great Plains has been going through a rough drought and living is becoming harder and harder.

A strong woman has been created by Kristin Hannah. I wish that all women would remember how strong they actually are. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Oct 24, 2021 |

Kristin Hannahprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To damage the earth is to damage your children.
                                             --WENDELL BERRY,
                                            FARMER AND POET
I see one-third of a nation ill-housed, ill-clad, ill-nourished. . . .  The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
                                          --FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
We draw our strength from the very despair in which we have been forced to live. We shall endure.
                                            --CÉSAR CHÁVEZ
One thing was left, as clear and perfect as a drop of rain---the desperate need to stand together . . . They would rise and fall and, in their falling, rise again.
                                  --SANORA BABB,
              WHOSE NAMES ARE UNKNOWN
Dad, this one's for you.
Hope is a coin I carry: an American penny, given to me by a man I came to love.
Be brave, or pretend to be.  It's all the same.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,555,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible