Eva Luna by Isabel Allende

Eva Luna (1987)

by Isabel Allende

English (31)  Spanish (4)  Italian (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (43)
Was assigned this for the Feminist Ethics course where I composed the paper on this[b:Kafka: Toward a Minor Literature|22913|Kafka Toward a Minor Literature|Gilles Deleuze|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1386922156s/22913.jpg|526610]. Enjoyed Eva Luna immensely on the political level, but, then, there's the melodrama. This is a telenovela, a Fassbinder for those in the cult of the (Latin American) Boom. There is a fascinating positioning of common tropes to allegedly higher ends.

Despite is exaggeration, the model Allende employs lends itself well to theory, for those inclined. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Allende is always a favorite. In this one storytelling plays a major role. She weaves so many extraordinary tales into the narration of Eva's life while incorporating social and political commentary focused on the inequities of a typical? South American country. ( )
  amaraki | Aug 8, 2018 |
I have always been a huge fan of Isabel Allende Her writing style is beautiful and her characters are memorable. This novel certainly included the things I love about her books, but it was not one of my favorites. I enjoyed the writing as always, but the plot for this story never really took off for me. The story alternated between the back story of the main character and other characters in a way that let the read know the stories would all meet at some point. I was good with that, but there was no real suspense for me in the build up to those meetings. The narrative also alternated between first and third person and that threw me off a bit.

Overall I enjoyed the style, but do not think this was up to the high standard I see in other novels of Allende. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Again, it's crossed off my list. I'm pretty sure I read this one. Can't remember anything about it, though. I read too many of her novels in a row. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |

Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mora, ElsaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then he said to Scheherazade: 'Sister, for the sake of Allah, tell us a story that will help pass the night ...'

--A Thousand and One Tales of the Arabian Nights
TO MY MOTHER,
who gave me a lot of stories
My name is Eva, which means 'life', according to a book of names my mother consulted.
La muerte no existe, la gente sólo muere cuando la olvidan; si puedes recordarme, siempre estaré contigo

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553280589, Mass Market Paperback)

An exotic dance that beguiles and entices... The enchanted and enchanting account of a  contemporary Scheherazade, a wide-eyed American  teller-of-tales who triumphs over harsh reality  through the creative power of her own imagination...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:11 -0400)

Born in the back room of the mansion where her mother toils, and herself in service from an early age, the enchanting and ever-enchanted Eva Luna escapes oppression through story telling. Rolf Carle flees Germany for South America, and ultimately works as a documentary film maker, to escape childhood memories of burying the concentration camp dead.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141045558, 0241951658

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible