Eva Luna (1987)

by Isabel Allende

An exotic dance that beguiles and entices... The enchanted and enchanting account of a contemporary Scheherazade, a wide-eyed American teller-of-tales who triumphs over harsh reality through the creative power of her own imagination...From the Paperback edition.

English (42)  Spanish (9)  Italian (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (60)
Audible audiobook performed by Cynthia Farrell & Timothy Andrés Pabon.

From the book jacket: Meet Eva Luna – a lover, writer, revolutionary, and storyteller. Eva is born poor, orphaned at an early age, and works as a servant. Eva is a naturally gifted and imaginative storyteller who meets people from all stations and walks of life. Though she has no wealth, she trades her stories like currency with people who are kind to her.

My reactions
I’m already a huge fan of Allende’s magical realism, and this book did not disappoint. I loved the many characters – from the Lebanese merchant to the petty criminal/guerrilla leader to the transexual entertainer. As Eva tells the story of her life, she tells the story of this South American nation – of corruption, class struggle, peace, war, feast and famine. The story comes alive with saints and ghosts, servants and political leaders equally profile, skewered and cherished.

Both Allende and Eva Luna are great storytellers, and this a marvelous escape.

The audiobook was performed by Cynthia Farrell and Timothy Andrés Pabon. These are two talented voice artists, and having them both narrating, makes it easy to follow the shifts in perspective. ( )
  BookConcierge | Apr 30, 2021 |
I keep trying to like Isabel Allende but I think maybe I just don’t ( )
  Amzzz | Mar 19, 2021 |
A gorgeous, devastating book that makes Marquez's *One Hundred Years of Solitude* feel lacking, somehow. I am falling deeply for Isabel Allende. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
This was my Book Club's January pick, and I was delighted. I had read two other Isabel Allende novels before this, and I have been hoping to work my way through her canon. And this is an excellent choice. Eva Luna is a storyteller, though she won't realize this for many years. Her mother's origins are murky, and her own are seemingly impossible. But Eva uses her years of servitude as fodder for her fantasies and tales. And amidst civil unrest, she searches for love, only to find it in a remarkable man whose abilities mirror her own.

This novel is peopled by extraordinary characters. And there is a trans woman's storyline which is deftly handled, showing how ahead of the times Allende was when she wrote this in the 1980s. If you are an Allende fan, read this lovely book. And if you have never read her, this is a great place to start. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
As I read this book, I continued to marvel at the beautiful, lyrical quality of the writing. The story is captivating and full of characters that enrich the story.. This book is a testament to my opinion that Isabel Allende is one of the best author's of our times. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |

Isabel Allendeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Angelo MorinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mora, ElsaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then he said to Scheherazade: 'Sister, for the sake of Allah, tell us a story that will help pass the night ...'

--A Thousand and One Tales of the Arabian Nights
TO MY MOTHER,
who gave me a lot of stories
My name is Eva, which means 'life', according to a book of names my mother consulted.
La muerte no existe, la gente sólo muere cuando la olvidan; si puedes recordarme, siempre estaré contigo

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141045558, 0241951658

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,251,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible