Fire from Heaven (1969)

by Mary Renault

Series: Alexander Trilogy (Renault) (1)

Alexander's beauty, strength, and defiance were apparent from birth, but his boyhood honed those gifts into the makings of a king. His mother, Olympias, and his father, King Philip of Macedon, fought each other for their son's loyalty, teaching Alexander politics and vengeance from the cradle. His love for the youth Hephaistion taught him trust, while Aristotle's tutoring provoked his mind and Homer's Iliad fueled his aspirations. Killing his first man in battle at the age of twelve, he became regent at sixteen and commander of Macedon's cavalry at eighteen, so that by the time his father was murdered, Alexander's skills had grown to match his fiery ambition.… (more)

English (22)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
Halfway through this masterpiece and nothing of value has happened, I wish the author could've cut the story short but clearly she's got a real gift when it comes to driving her readers to skim her books. To my dismay, dwelling on tiresome jive doesn't make a good novel, and if I wanted to become versed on every nook and cranny in Alexander the Greats's room I'd pick up an encyclopedia. In the trash it goes. ( )
  Vertumnus | Jul 22, 2021 |
[Historical Novel of Alexander's Life, from Childhood to the Age of 20].
  librisissimo | Oct 24, 2020 |
Well this took me a long time to read. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed - I've been hyping this up for myself since I first heard about it circa 2011, and it just didn't deliver what I was expecting. Totally my own fault, though, and overall this was still really interesting to read and my obsession with Ancient Greece is still going strong.

Now, which retelling do I pick up next? Or do I finally go back and actually read the Iliad & the Odyssey? ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
I didn't enjoy this book. Alexander end up being boring. Mary Renault made him untouchable, like the cold statue on the cover of my book. There were so many different characters that I was surprise at the lack of interaction between them all. Mary Renault has open slate to write an interesting and intriguing character, since not much is known of Alexander early childhood or teen year. Even the stories of the Greek Gods had more heart and life in them than this story. ( )
  lemonpop | Nov 22, 2017 |
This novel requires full knowledge of Greek history and mythology to appreciate. Not for me. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |

Petersen, Jens LouisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

rororo (1809)
When Perdikkas asked him at what times he wished divine honours paid to him, he answered that he wished it done when they themselves were happy. These were the last words of the King.

Quintus Curtius
The child was wakened by the knotting of the snake's coils about his waist.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,411,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible