Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie

Cat Among the Pigeons (1959)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (32)

Hickory Dickory Death by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: Just as Cat among the Pigeons is set at a girls' school, Hickory Dickory Dock is set at a hostel for students. Those who have enjoyed the atmosphere of carefree school days of Cat among the Pigeons, will also enjoy the ups and downs in the lives of the young (if slightly older) students living at the hostel in Hickory Dickory Dock.… (more)

English (51)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (60)
First agatha Christie novel I've ever read...surprised by the good writing and the rather contemporary story... will read more Christie books now. ( )
  LadyVivace | Jul 13, 2018 |
Another good Poirot mystery. Another one that I had not read towards the end of the series.

Set in a prestigious private school in England, Poirot is summoned by a student to solve the crimes. Murder is afoot. Not just one murder, but two. Who will be next? Well, besides our good friend Hercule Poirot, no one is safe. But not to worry, because he always gets his man. Or woman, as the case may be.

GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
This was a good one. I definitely didn't figure how the murders played out until it was revealed. This is among the ones where Poirot doesn't show up until near the end to solve the mystery. Recommended to Christie fans. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
Last year I didn't do a very good job of participating in the monthly meme Crime Fiction of the Year Challenge @ Past Offences. I completed reading all the Agatha Christie novels more or less in order of publication in 2014, but last year I found that I was missing my occasional dose of Christie.

So I've decided that this year I will try to read an Agatha Christie novel each month for the appropriate year in the Crime Fiction of the Year Challenge (if one is available).

Having made that decision, I wondered whether a re-reading would bore me. I originally read this novel for the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge in June 2013, and it wasn't new to me then. My review is here. The novel is listed as the 32nd Poirot novel, and my records show it as the 51st Agatha Christie novel.

There were a couple of aspects of particular interest. Firstly the background is a revolution in the Middle East in a fictitious Sheikdom. Prince Ali Yusuf has tried to force change on his kingdom too quickly and has to flee the country. Politics in the Middle East were obviously of great interest to Agatha Christie. Since reading the novel in 2013 I have visited Abu Dhabi a couple of times. Sheik Zayed I modernised his country too, but didn't suffer a revolution.

Second was the character of the principal of Meadowbank School. Miss Bulstrode (and her assistant Miss Chadwick) reminded very strongly of three female school principals that I had met. All were principals of girl's schools. The first school was a metropolitan high school where I was doing my final year of secondary schooling, the second was an elite girls college where I was a junior housemistress, and the third a metropolitan high school at which I was a young teacher. All were women of vision, very strong, very charismatic. Agatha Christie drew Honoria Bulstrode so well, as she did the faithful Chaddy who helped Bulstrode carry out her dream.

Another issue that was of interest was Miss Bulstrode's intention to retire but to groom her successor to eventually take over. In each of the cases I mentioned earlier the issue of succession was a problem, and I well remember, in the first school, the resentment of the students when the principal retired abruptly at the end of the first term. Her successor had a very rough time of it indeed.

So no, I wasn't bored with the re-reading, although I could actually remember most of the plot strands. Poirot doesn't make an appearance until nearly half way through the novel, but it was interesting to see how he related to Miss Bulstrode too.
I think I appreciated Christie's insight a little more than I did three years ago: I have given it a slightly higher rating. ( )
  smik | Jan 7, 2017 |
As expected, a very nice read. Just beware that—unlike in the movie—Poirot only shows up in the last two chapters of this book. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |

Mendivil, J. LuisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toming, RalfTÕlkija.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tylden-Wright, JennyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stella and Larry Kirwan
It was the opening day of the summer term at Meadowbank school.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425205967, Mass Market Paperback)

The new-look series of Hercule Poirot books for the 21st century. Late one night, two teachers investigate a mysterious flashing light in the sports pavilion, while the rest of the school sleeps. There, among the lacrosse sticks, they stumble upon the body of the unpopular games mistress - shot through the heart from point blank range. The school is thrown into chaos when the 'cat' strikes again. Unfortunately, schoolgirl Julia Upjohn knows too much. In particular, she knows that without Hercule Poirot's help, she will be the next victim -

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

The very exclusive Meadowbank School has never been more assured of success when the summer term begins--until their gym mistress is found murdered.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,003,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible