Skin (2007)

by Ted Dekker

A freak storm has spawned three tornadoes that are bearing down on the town of Summerville. Yet under the cover of the storm looms a much more ominous threat: A vindictive killer known as Red who's left a string of victims in his wake and is now bent on exacting his final revenge on the unsuspecting town. But there is an enigma surrounding Red that the FBI is unwilling to admit-closely guarded secrets of something gone terribly wrong beneath the skin of Summerville. Secrets that will destroy far more than one small town. Wendy Davidson is caught in the middle. She's a recovering cult survivor who takes refuge in Summerville on her way to visit her estranged mother. And with her, four strangers, any of whom could be the next victim . . . or the killer.… (more)

English (21)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
The 4 rating is mostly for the life message that comes near the end.

Which world is real?: the town of Summerville or the desert or is it something else. An unlikely group ends up together in the midst of a serial killer spree--a serial killer who seems focused on "who is the ugliest?"

The book was a bit too creepy for my taste at times. I've read Ted Dekker previously and with some of his books, I'm left feeling that there was a meaning behind it that I'd missed. Thus, I enjoyed the message that came near the end that summed up the idea behind the story: a take on Lucifer's life before and after the fall, that even the best of us are sinners, that even the best of us are not good enough to approach God without Jesus's intercession. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Nov 20, 2020 |
Somewhat disappointed after all the glowing recommendations. Seemed to have minimal suspense. I'm open to reading another of his novels, this one was just not enjoyable to me. ( )
  gac53 | Jan 27, 2018 |
A killer is on the loose in a smalltown and seems hellbent on having 5 specific people kill each other, based on who is most ugly. It is just weird. Turns out it is all in a game" that is testing new tech on epileptic people. But the badguy is one of the players turned bad.

This was a thriller through and through. Some very vague references to universal truths, but without Christ, so it seemed like they were just kind of thrown in. I enjoyed this, knowing that things were NOT as they seemed, but having no idea how they were not :-) Dekker likes colors in regards to his villians names-Marsuvees Black, Barsidious White, Sterling Red in this one. Two things I didn't care for;
1: Tied it to the Circle Trilogy world, probably in reference to his new Lost Books quaddrilogy, just too blatant.
2: It ends with them still in the game, and you never know when or if they'll get out.

Other than those 2 things, this was a fantastic page turner that just entertained the darkside of me :-)" ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This book is about a few people who get money by using themselves to do crazy game projects.This time they had to beat the game to be able to go back to the real world. The game makes everything seem so real like you are actually living in it. You pretty much have to solve the mystery of who is the killer to escape the game which was really hard.There are about 5 different people who meet up and decide to beat the game to enter back into the real world. There are about 2 girls and the rest are boys. I am not going to put anything else about trhe story because it is a really good book and you should read it for yourself. ( )
  aisosae.g3 | Mar 18, 2014 |
Another creepy and bizarre offering from Dekker. Five strangers find themselves trapped in a small town, at the mercy of a serial killer who seems to be playing some sort of strange game with them. He wants them to kill the ugliest among them, or he will continue to kill the residents of the town. Its a curious premise, but plot holes abound as well as some disburbing scenes of violence. If you liked House by Dekker and Perretti, you will enjoy this one as it is somewhat similar. ( )
  debs4jc | Mar 15, 2012 |
When the rain isn't so much falling--be it in bucket loads or like cats and dogs--but rather slamming into the car like an avalanche of stone, you know it's time to pull over.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,613,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible