Finding the Vein: A Mystery by

by Jennifer Hanlon Wilde

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't read very many Murder Mystery's, This one was good, i always like a book that has a variety of Characters in it, this one did,. The story starts off with a group of Adopted kids at a a 6 week Summer Camp, Isaac like most, was excited to finally be there, where he could be himself, shortly after the Camp gets started a Councilor dies, at first I'ts thought to be an allergy reaction, later on they are not so sure. I like that the kids are a big part of the Investigation, and the secrets the come out about the camp are shocking. I liked the fact that although there we're a lot of different Characters to read about, the Author did a great job at keeping the reader on track, and I loved the emotion that was talked about through different families, I work in a middle School Library, I really would like this book on our shelf. I Received this book, I agreed to write a review after reading, It was well worth it. ( )
  LisaRhine | Sep 14, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Finding the Vein was a wonderful mystery that felt easy but captivating to read. The variety of characters included (LGBTQ+, adoptees, Asians, differently abled, immigrants, neuroatypical) are well balanced, and written about with clear understanding of a truly diverse community. Jennifer Hanlon Wilde creates naturally complex characters in a people-first manner - their differences are not what drive their character development, but are facts that enhance the depths of their back stories in who they are as people. As a camp person who lives in OR, I was particularly drawn to the setting, which I think is well portrayed, and lends itself to a creative backdrop for some of the twists that occur.
All in all I greatly enjoyed this book, and would be eager to read more from this author. ( )
  WellspringsFriends | Aug 26, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This one ticks all the boxes: murder mystery, diverse characters, quirky best friend (seriously, Hal is my new fave), and a fun twist.

I love the representation (adoptees, Asians, LGBTQ+, differently abled) and the setting (I'm a sucker for summer camp stories). The author has done a great job of capturing the spirit of the PNW as well as creating round, interesting characters. The hints and clues are plunked in just the right places to keep you reading and guessing until the end.

Many thanks to the publisher and LibraryThing for the ARC. ( )
  amandamreads | Aug 23, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Was it murder or suicide? Great summer read about summer camp, summer love, an murder!! The cops get some help from a sleuthing teenager. Mystery is solved in a satisfying way, with a nice twist at the end. ( )
  cwells3 | Aug 19, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a murder mystery in which the solution is arrived at through the efforts of both the police and a couple of teenagers at a camp where the murder occurred.

I found it a pleasant read - with a reasonably constructed plot and denouement, even though the final collaboration between the police and the teenagers does not seem probable. The characters were fairly well rounded and interesting, although, for me, further exploration of the characters would have been welcomed.

The book has a focus on issues facing asian children adopted by American families, which I found interesting, and, there is a pleasing diversity and inclusivity with regards to sexuality and gender.

I would class the book as young adult with some elements of coming of age - a pleasant summer holiday read.
  Caesia | Aug 6, 2021 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jennifer Hanlon Wilde's book Finding the Vein is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,463,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible