The Farthest-Away Mountain by Lynne Reid…

The Farthest-Away Mountain (1976)

by Lynne Reid Banks

Oh, how I loved this book!

I remembered this book from when I was ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
I probably would have enjoyed this more as a child. Reading it as an adult only made me notice the stiltedness of the prose and the less-than-original plot. It's a conglomeration of better-written fairy tales, and the heroine is rather dull despite her courage. Why, after experiencing such an exciting adventure, would her desire be to marry a prince? This story could have been a lot better than it is.
  kdcdavis | Feb 19, 2010 |
What is a discovery to the reader, is that Dakin not only musters up the courage within herself that she is indeed ready for anything that awaits her, some of it the most petrifying sights her young eyes has ever seen but also some of it forces her to grow up, as she decides which advice is indeed sound to follow. Upon this decision within herself, she realizes she doesn't need other's advice to guide her through life. Dakin pushes onward, finding her own conscience to be more than a sufficient guide. Morally this is a good story because not only does it portray a herorine, instead of a hero in the atypical quest story, but it shows a child that he or she has the ability to trust themself. ( )
  nieva21 | Dec 6, 2009 |
The Farthest-Away Mountain is a fairytale in reverse. The prince doesn't go riding out in fine array for an adventure; it's the commoner — and a girl at that — who embarks on a quest. Dakin has always lived with her family in the shadow of the Farthest-Away Mountain. She's fifteen, pretty, and intelligent, and all the village boys have asked for her hand. But she has sworn that she will only marry a prince. One day as she is looking at the mountain, it "nods" to her. She realizes she must go there, though she does not know why.

Dakin meets many interesting characters on her way to the Farthest-Away Mountain: a little bronze troll who stole a great treasure, his three brothers who have been turned into gargoyles, a great Giant and its horrible bird, old Croak who lives on the bank of the magical Lithy Pool, and an evil Witch who paints the pure-white snow of the mountain in brilliant witchy colors. Later we meet Dakin's prince whose throne she has secured in her quest on the Mountain — and what a sight he is. No spoilers, but it's a good scene.

The Farthest-Away Mountain itself is a wonderful idea, a place you can always see but never quite reach. It's the unattainable beauty whose shadow colors the humble everyday lives of the peasants. When Dakin does reach it, she must outwit the evil Witch to restore the goodness of the Mountain and free its prisoners. For though the Mountain has been 200 years under the Witch's rule, it used to be a place that only called those who were pure in heart to dwell on it. When a good man tried to bring an evil magician's son to the Mountain to teach him goodness there, the Evil Boy used sorcery to enslave the Mountain and bring desolation on its inhabitants. One of the lessons of the story is that it is not enough to merely be good; one must also be wise.

This has long been a favorite fantasy story of mine with its simplicity and well-written prose. I recommend it. ( )
3 vote atimco | Jun 13, 2008 |
This was one of my favorite young reader books, growing up. I love the wonder and the adventure that the pages held. This was one of my first books starring a heroin versus a hero, and it made a lasting impression on me. I would read this book again in a heart beat! ( )
  kjarcand | May 5, 2008 |
For Dee McKenna

who promotes reading

in the farthest-away place

in my world.
Once upon a time, in a little village that lay in a mountain valley, there lived with her family a girl called Dakin.

This is the tale of the young heroine Dakin, who sets out on a terrifying journey through wicked woods and haunted mountain paths to find the farthest-away mountain and break the spell by which it's been bound for two hundred years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:03 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Dakin embarks on a dangerous journey to fulfill her three desires: to visit the farthest-away mountain, to meet a gargoyle, and to find a prince.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,814,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible