Tatsinda by Elizabeth Enright

Tatsinda (1963)

by Elizabeth Enright

77None155,246 (4.21)1 / 3

In the isolated mountain kingdom of Tatrajan, cut off from the rest of the world by a seemingly impenetrable mist, the people lived in peace and harmony, wanting for nothing. With their glittering white hair and cool greenish blue eyes, all the Tatrajanni were similar in appearance - all, that is, except Tatsinda, whose deep golden hair and brown eyes bespoke her "foreign" birth. Deeply in love with handsome, bold Prince Tackatan, Tatsinda worried that the kingdom's most popular prince would never look at such an unusual girl... But then the terrible giant Johrgong invaded the kingdom, and carried Tatsinda off...

Originally published in 1963, and illustrated by Irene Haas, Tatsinda was reissued in this edition in 1991, with new illustrations by Katie Thamer Treherne. A wonderful, involving fantasy for the chapter-book set, Enright's story of a magical kingdom, a beautiful heroine, and an evil giant, will appeal to any young reader with a sense of enchantment. The author's world-building is admirable, and I imagine that, had I read this as a girl, I would have longed to ride a timtik, or drink the milk of a tiptod. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 9, 2013 |
This book (with Irene Haas illustrations) has stuck with me since childhood! ( )
  LynnMK | Aug 30, 2009 |
Re-reading the book as an adult, sadly, I found Tatsinda to be a bit thin, but as a seven-year-old, the awe I felt at the magical land beyond the ice at the world's end was deep and lasting. I rediscovered it only a few years ago, after longing for it for most of my life, and just seeing the cover still causes me to gasp with joy. ( )
2 vote muumi | Mar 7, 2007 |

Elizabeth Enrightprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Haas, IreneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Treherne, Katie ThamerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A fairy tale set in a magical kingdom about a beautiful, golden haired outsider kidnapped by an angry ogre.

Tatsinda is considered an outsider by the people of the Tatrajanni kingdom. Her talent as a weaver has ensured that she can support herself--and perhaps win the love of the handsome Prince. But when an evil giant takes Tatsinda prisoner and plans to destroy the kingdom, it will take all the magic, skill, and love that Tatsinda and the Prince can muster to foil the giant and restore peace and beauty to the mountain. “This timeless story will make an absorbing read-aloud.”--School Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:34 -0400)

When a giant invades the peaceful kingdom of the Tatrajanni and takes the different-looking girl prisoner, it takes the combined efforts of the wise woman of the mountain, the Prince, and the girl herself to rid the kingdom of the intruder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible