Rex Libris Volume 1: I, Librarian by James…

Rex Libris Volume 1: I, Librarian (2007)

by James Turner

Very text heavy for a graphic novel, but well worth reading. Great fun. Even if you are an alien warlord or supernatural entity, that's no excuse for not returning your library book on time. ( )
  Archmage | Apr 5, 2016 |
This graphic novel collects the first five issues of the comic. Rex, a “two-fisted librarian”, will stop at nothing to maintain order in the library and get people to return overdue books. Along the way he must deal with fictional characters that come to life, old ladies lost in the aisles, and a Larry King-like publisher who likes to put his two-cents in at the beginning of every chapter.

When I first heard of REX LIBRIS being a book about a librarian who traveled to other galaxies to retrieve overdue books, I knew I had to have it.

I love the fact that Rex is single-minded in his mission, with a bit of a superhero attitude. Although Rex sometimes speaks like a good ol’ boy, his knowledge is unceasing, so his voice every so often contradicts his intelligence.

Rex is a fabulous, fearless enforcer of library rules, but my favorite character is Rex’s sidekick Simon. He’s a talking bird bent on world domination. He’s funny and a perfect foil in response to Rex’s quibbles.

“Your own librarian commando training has surely informed you of the merits of armed back-up!”
Well, damn, you’re right, I shoulda brought Hypatia.”
HYPATIA?! Forget about Hypatia! What about me? I’m here, after all. What about my right to bear arms?”
“Dat doesn’t apply to BIRDS.”
That’s just outright anti-bird prejudice!”

Who would have thought that a librarian would have such outrageous adventures and be so entertaining?

Don’t pass over “The Ordo Bibliotheca” near the end of the book. It’s an amusing history of the secret International Order of Librarians, of which Rex has been a member since at least the Dark Ages.

What I didn’t like was the really small print of this edition. They should have gone for better readability instead of cutting costs with a smaller book. Also, the addition in the back of other artists’ interpretations of Rex didn’t thrill me.

I’ve not read any other works by James Turner, such as NIL, but this volume will definitely get me to buy the next volume of REX LIBRIS. Ok, here’s the thing, even though I personally love the book, I don’t know that I would recommend it to more than a very select group of people. If you like libraries, sci-fi, cute birds, humor, intergalactic travel, and warriors that look like snowmen, then this is categorically the right book for you. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

Well, damn, you’re right, I shoulda brought Hypatia.”
“Dat doesn’t apply to BIRDS.”
That’s just outright anti-bird prejudice!”

BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
The over use of da for the and dis for this almost made me hate this graphic novel. But the story line is rediculously funny and don't we all want to turn the annoying patrons into a pig sometimes.... Includes everything from space monsters to Circe, the original witch (of Odyssey fame), now working as a librarian. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Welcome, adventurous reader, to the first issue of Rex Libris, public librarian. Here you will find, for the first time in print ever, the tumultous tales of the public library system and its unending battle against the forces of evil.
Thoth shall have a muffin and it shall be blueberry! So Thoth commands!
You boys are welcome to stay and read quietly until you dissipate. But no trying to burn down the library after I leave!
Oh, thank St. Laurence! A librarian!

The astonishing story of the incomparable Rex Libris, Head Librarian at Middleton Public Library. From ancient Egypt, where his beloved Hypatia was murdered, to the farthest reaches of the galaxy in search of overdue books, Rex upholds his vow to fight the forces of ignorance and darkness. Wearing his super thick bottle glasses and armed with an arsenal of high technology weapons, he strikes fear into recalcitrant borrowers, and can take on virtually any foe from zombies to renegade literary characters.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,922,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible