Lost in a Good Book (2002)

by Jasper Fforde

Series: Thursday Next (2)

Thursday Next, literary detective and newlywed, is back to embark on an adventure that begins, quite literally on her own doorstep. It seems that Landen, her husband of four weeks, actually drowned in an accident when he was two years old. Someone, somewhere, sometime, is responsible. The sinister Goliath Corporation wants its operative Jack Schitt out of the poem in which Thursday trapped him, and it will do almost anything to achieve this - but bribing the ChronoGuard? Is that possible? Having barely caught her breath after The Eyre Affair, Thursday must battle corrupt politicians, try to save the world from extinction, and help the Neanderthals to species self-determination. Mastadon migrations, journeys into Just William, a chance meeting with the Flopsy Bunnies, and violent life-and-death struggles in the summer sales are all part of a greater plan. But whose? and why?… (more)
    Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (changsbooks)
    changsbooks: If you loved the Wayside School series as a kid, it's time to graduate to Jasper Fforde's own brand of absurdism.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Same kind of quirky humour and style
    Fables, Vol. 01: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)
    Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin (carlym)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Franklyn [2008 film] by Gerald McMorrow (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For washing and washing machine directions.

English (219)  German (3)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (227)
I foolishly thought I had read the first book in the series. So I was a bit lost (no pun intended). This is one of those "must read in order series" to fully appreciate the book. But I did enjoy it. Fforde is very clever with word play, although I felt like some of the jokes went over my head, as he often playfully refers to UK expressions that I am not familiar with. (ie. Chalk and Cheese) ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Even more insane, and even better. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
It was a little more difficult to keep track of what was happening in this sequel to "The Eyre Affair." Thursday's time-jumping father along with a multitude of book-hopping combine together to make for quite the humorous but confusing muddle. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Very enjoyable, more smoothly written than book #1. The plot is satisfying and amusing.

> "…Talking about any of the characters you met within Jane Eyre might cause some viewers to suffer Xplkqul-kiccasia." The condition was unknown before my jump into Eyre. It was so serious that the Medical Council were compelled to make up an especially unpronounceable word to describe it.

> "Fishy," said Bowden. "Very fishy. How could something like Cardenio turn up out of the blue?" "How fishy on the fishiness scale?" I asked him. "Ten is a stickleback and one is a whale shark." "A whale isn't a fish, Thursday." "A whale shark is—sort of." "All right, it's as fishy as a crayfish." "A crayfish isn't a fish," I told him. "A starfish, then." "Still not a fish." "A silverfish?" "Try again."

> What's the opposite of deja vu, when you see something that hasn't happened yet?" "I don't know—avant verrais?" "That's it.

> He picked up a jam jar from one of the many worktops and passed it to me. It seemed the contents were half rice and half lentils. "I'm not hungry, thanks," I told him. "No, no. I call this device an entroposcope. Shake it for me." I shook the jam jar and the rice and lentils settled together in that sort of random clumping way that chance usually dictates. "So?" I asked. "Entirely usual," replied Mycroft. "Standard clumping, entropy levels normal. Shake it every now and then. You'll know when a decrease in entropy occurs as the rice and lentils will separate out into more ordered patterns—and that's the time to watch out for ludicrously unlikely coincidences."

> "Thursday, that's not possible!" "Anything is possible right now. We're in the middle of an isolated high-coincidental localized entropic field decreasement." "We're in a what?" "We're in a pseudoscientific technobabble." ( )
  breic | Sep 6, 2020 |
Starts slow, but the second half is fun and clever. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
In Lost in a Good Book and The Well of Lost Plots, Fforde gets a bit bogged down in all the details of the fictional universe.
added by Katya0133 | editGalef, David, Yale Review (Oct 1, 2008)

There is a certain self-delighted quality to all this cleverness that would probably become annoying if Fforde weren't so resolutely unclever about his own writing. By and large, the story bounds along in one-sentence paragraphs that J. K. Rowling would be proud of.

Fforde, Jasperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koen, ViktorIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perez, JosephCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MaggyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MariPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sastre, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stern, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Book
is dedicated to assistants everywhere.
You make it happen for them.
They couldn't do it without you.
Your contribution is everything.
Sample viewing figures for major TV networks in England, September 1985... I didn't ask to be a celebrity.
I didn't ask to be a celebrity.
I’ve been in law enforcement for most of my life and I will tell you right now there is no such offense as ‘attempted murder by coincidence in an alternative future by person or persons unknown.’
Poor, dear, sweet Jane! I would so hate to be a first-person character! Always on your guard, always having people reading your thoughts! Here we do what we are told but think what we wish. It is a much happier circumstance, believe me! - Marianne Dashwood
Bloophole: Term used to describe a narrative hole by the author that renders his/her work seemingly impossible. An unguarded bloophole may not cause damage for millions of readings, but then, quite suddenly and catastrophically, the book may unravel itself in a very dramatic fashion.
'Things,' Dad used to say, 'are a whole lot weirder than we can know.'
Attention, please. Passengers for the 11:04 DeepDrop to Sydney will be glad to know that the delay was due to too many excuses being created by the Gravitube’s Excuse Manufacturing Facility. Consequently we are happy to announce that since the excess excuses have now been used, the 11:04 DeepDrop to Sydney is ready for boarding at gate six.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,851,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible