HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Assassin's Quest (1997)

by Robin Hobb

Series: Realm of the Elderlings (3), The Farseer Trilogy (3)

7,4871241,061 (4.09)1 / 170
Fitz Chivalry confronts his destiny as the catalyst who holds the fate of the kingdom of the Six Duchies ... and the world itself. King Shrewd is dead at the hands of his son Regal. As is Fitz--or so his enemies and friends believe. But with the help of his allies and his beast magic, he emerges from the grave, deeply scarred in body and soul. The kingdom also teeters toward ruin: Regal has plundered and abandoned the capital, while the rightful heir, Prince Verity, is lost to his mad quest--perhaps to death. Only Verity's return--or the heir his princess carries--can save the Six Duchies. But Fitz will not wait. Driven by loss and bitter memories, he undertakes a quest: to kill Regal. The journey casts him into deep waters, as he discovers wild currents of magic within him--currents that will either drown him or make him something more than he was.… (more)
Recently added bymj.debeer, private library, kosta0909, ArwenEvenstar91, AlyceVerey, macky-z, phoebef, ArcOnyx
    Shapechangers by Jennifer Roberson (humouress)
    humouress: People who are able to bond with a wild animal. A dynasty trying to unite diverse lands.
    Melforger (Volume 1) by David Lundgren (penga_librarian)
    penga_librarian: Both books explore the use of magic that requires effort on the part of the practitioner, and have young main characters who find themselves with unexpected abilities.

English (119)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (124)
The best book of the series, but overall such a heart wrenching story. Though that probably makes it more realistic--an imperfect, frequently depressed hero. I love Nighteyes. Best animal character ever. :) ( )
  bangerlm | Jan 17, 2023 |
Does it have boring parts? Yes. Do I care? No. The good parts are so good that the slow pacing and the few complains I have about the book don't even matter. There are so many things I love about this book and there are new characters that I enjoy (especially Kettle).
I am a fan of this series and this is a review of my reread so take my rating with a grain of salt. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
A thrilling conclusion to the Farseer Trilogy! You'll laugh. You'll rage. And quite possibly cry (I did...). If this is Hobb's weakest segment of the Elderling series, like I've heard, I can't wait to continue onto the rest of the books. ( )
  JumpyDr4gon | Aug 10, 2022 |
If I could rate this half a star less than I rated the first two in the series, I would. Despite the action, the ending made it clear this was supposed to be a series about the development of a character (rather than, say, the plot directly). While the main character definitely developed during the three books, it didn't feel like I really saw the process. I saw things happening to the main character, and as a result he changed, but only now and then did I feel like the character or reader understood the change process.

That said, it was still a fun read and a good use of my time. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
-rushed ending, last -50 pages
the second book is still the best out of the Farseer trilogy ( )
  Mandalor | Jun 21, 2022 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the very real Kat Ogden Who threatened at an early age, to grow up and be a tap dancing, fencing, jodoka, movie star, archaeologist, and president of the United States. And is getting frigheningly close to the end of her list. Never mistake the movie for the book.
I awake every morning with ink on my hands.
The French versions of the Farseer trilogies splits the original books in various ways. Please be careful while combining and check the listing on Wikipedia.

The gripping finale to Robin Hobb's classic Farseer trilogy.
Keystone. Gate. Crossroads. Catalyst.Fitz is about to discover the truth about the Fool's prophecy. Having been resurrected from his fatal tortures in Regal's dungeons, Fitz has once more foiled Regal's attempts to be rid of him.Now, back in his own body, and after months of rehabilitation, Fitz begins the painful and slow process of learning the ways of a man again. Under the watchful eye of Burrich, old King Shrewd's Stablemaster, Fitz must learn to cast off the wild but carefree ways of the wolf and enter once more the human world: a world beset ever more viciously by the relentless Red Ship Raiders who are now left free to plunder any coastal town they please. But more immediately, a world in which he finds he is utterly alone.Regal has stripped the kingdom of its riches and retired to the inland city of Tradeford. Of Verity, on his quest to find the legendary Elderings, there has been no word; Molly, Kettricken and the Fool have all vanished.Unless Fitz can find Verity and help him in his quest, the Six Duchies will perish and there will be no safe place to live.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,939,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible