Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List (2007)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

Although they have been friends and neighbors all their lives, straight Naomi and gay Ely find their relationship severely strained during their freshman year at New York University.

I really liked Ely's story a lot. I'd read a sequel about him. I found it difficult to read Naomi's chapters because of the images/emojis, but it created an immersive mood too. I'm surprised by so many negative reviews since this is just a light read with flawed characters and didn't set out to be anything else. ( )
  amybear | May 8, 2021 |
This book is a mess. Too many POVs - including some from otherwise irrelevant characters - and rambling, confusing accounts in about 50% of the chapters, letting you know exactly which author wrote what ;) The windings-esque elements of Naomi's chapters are particularly irritating.

There is a plot here, but it's hidden beneath a self-indulgent, unappealing tangle of words. Cut to half the size and it may have been bearable. Although... perhaps not. The characters would still be unlikeable.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
We should all have our own damn souls. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Just read John's review and thought: Gee, thanks for using such wonderful terms as "retarded" and "moron", you must be such a caring person to use such derogatory terms. ( )
  The-Social-Hermit | May 8, 2018 |
[review written 2011]

Naomi and Ely’s No Kiss List was the second David Levithan and Rachel Cohn novel I have ever read, and I must say, it was quite as good as Dash and Lily. I loved it. Naomi’s writing with the symbols was great, Gabriel the Hot Doorman (I pictured Aaron Tveit) writing with songs narrating it … it was quite easy to tell their writing styles from each other, which marks talent, because usually first-person viewpoints that switch between two characters is hard enough for me. To be able to tell viewpoints between five, six characters, that was amazing.

It was also really funny, and I had a giggle fit at Ely showing the bouncer his dick in the middle of class, which lead to awkwardness. All in all, it was a great book. If you are a fan of either Rachel Cohn or David Levithan’s work, it would be a good idea to read this book (and Dash and Lily, and Nick and Norah) because they’re just so amazing. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |

17) Stevie Wonder, As
18) Merle Haggard, Blue Yodel
19) The Ramones, I wanna be your boyfriend
19a) Prince, If I was your girlfriend
Selections from second music mix
----------------------------------------
1) Bon Jovi, livin' on a prayer
4) Britney Spears, you drive me crazy
5) Dixie Chicks, don't waste your heart
7) Green Day, poprocks and coke
8) Destiny's child, bootylicious
11) Belle & Sebastian, asleep on a sunbeam

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,243,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible