The Short Stories of Saki (1930)

by Saki

Other authors: Christopher Morley (Introduction)

The buttoned-up world of the British upper classes is exploded by the brilliance, wit and audacity of Saki's bomb-like stories. In 'The Open Window' an imaginative teenager gives a visitor the fright of his life. In 'The Unrest Cure' the ordered home of a respectable country gent is rocked to its core. And 'Laura' expresses the hope of revenge via reincarnation. For punchlines, twists, satire and pure mirth, Saki's stories are second-to-none.… (more)

English (25)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
I found that Saki's humor worked better for me when I read his short stories than listening to them in audio. Frederick Davidson & Nadia May did an acceptable job narrating (though Davidson was not as good as May)...

leslie.98 | Jun 27, 2023 |
I've read other collections of Saki, and love his droll wit and surprising twists. ( )
  librisissimo | Feb 16, 2023 |
A few were crude, some were strange, many were clever, most were funny. A very different kind of storytelling than the epic saga, and thus refreshing in a way. I recommend to any who delight in witty social commentary but haven't entire afternoons to devote to leisure. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
Beautiful stories that touch the soul. Filled with Eastern mysticism, each story is a little shining light.

I was given this book by an English professor at a college in Minnesota where I spent a winter.

He and I shared our mutual love of poetry and prose. He gave me an old copy of this book, dedicated to "The one who came to visit and stayed." ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
Nice characterization: Witty horror stories somewhat in the style of Stephen King or Brian Evenson.

Mean characterization: Stories for Sadists.

Defense: "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

Me: Yes, I guess I did.
  cpg | Feb 14, 2022 |

Sakiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morley, ChristopherIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

The Story-Teller by Saki (indirect)
Fur {short story} by Saki (indirect)
Tea {short story} by Saki (indirect)
Fate {short story} by Saki (indirect)

Compiles the collections:
Reginald
Reginald in Russia
The chronicles of Clovis
Beasts and super-beasts
The toys of peace
The square egg

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,987,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible