Four Seasons in Rome: On Twins, Insomnia,…

Four Seasons in Rome: On Twins, Insomnia, and the Biggest Funeral in the… (2007)

by Anthony Doerr

4151937,930 (3.77)11

This is a lovely memoir filled with very evocative portraits of people and places in Rome and often fascinating trivia about the "Eternal City." Writer Doerr with his wife and 2 newborn sons spent a year in Rome from mid-2004 to mid-2005 thanks to the American Academy of Arts.

Doerr worked on the early writing and research for his later Pulitzer Prize winning novel "All the Light We Cannot See" (2014) and completed the short story "Village 113" about the Chinese Three Gorges Dam project (collected in "Memory Wall" (2007) during this time and wrote his notes and journal entries that became the basis of this book.

Thanks to my friend Karan for introducing me to and gifting this book! (less) ( )
  alanteder | Aug 6, 2018 |
Shows that:
if you keep a journal
if you get a fancy prize that lets you live somewhere interesting
if you (and spouse-wife) just had twins
if you just wrote a great book
then you can publish anything
(fun to read, easy to read, life in Rome-speaking no Italian and changing 2000 diapers) ( )
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
A beautiful meditation on writing, Rome, twins, life, architecture, history, learning Italian, light, starlings. Motifs recur and curl back into the storyline. ( )
  devilish2 | Mar 7, 2018 |
I read this author's book "All the Light We Cannot See" and positively loved it so added any books available electronically through the library to my Wish List and this happened to be one. I did not realize it was a true story account of his time in Rome. I'm really glad I read it -- I really enjoyed it. It was an honest and breathtaking account of his time in Rome -- I really enjoyed that :-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Aug 29, 2017 |
The best book I've read in a long time. Doerr writes poetically and his descriptions of Rome are verbal pictures. He goes through his year as a Fellow at the American Academy. We learn about his crreative life, his young family, Rome, and Italy. And we learn about Doerr. ( )
  Roamin1 | Aug 28, 2016 |
Rain falls, clouds rise, rivers dry up, hailstorms sweep down; rays scorch, and impinging from every side of the earth in the middle of the world, then are broken and recoil and carry with them the moisture they have drunk up. Steam falls from on high and again returns on high. Empty winds sweep down, and then go back again with their plunder. So many living creatures draw their breath from the upper air; but the air strives in the opposite direction, and the earth pours back breath to the sky as if to a vacuum. Thus as nature swings to and fro like a kind of sling, discord is kindled by the velocity of the world's motion.

-Pliny the Elder, from the Natural History, AD 77
for Henry and Owen
Italy looms.

"On the day Anthony Doerr and his wife arrive home from the hospital with newborn twins, he learns he will receive the prestigious Rome Prize from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. With the prize comes a stipend and a writing studio in Rome for a year. Exquisitely observed, Four Seasons in Rome describes Doerr's varied adventures in one of the most enchanting cities in the world. He reads Pliny, Dante, and Keats and visits the piazzas, temples, and ancient cisterns they chronicled. He attends the vigil of a dying Pope John Paul II and takes his twins to the Pantheon in December to wait for snow to fall through the oculus. The clamor of stories and idiosyncratic child-rearing advice from the Romans he encounters is as compelling as the city itself. This intimate and revelatory book is a celebration of Rome, a wondrous look at new parenthood, and a fascinating story of a writer's craft."--From back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,556,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible