The Goshawk by T. H. White

The Goshawk (1951)

by T. H. White

Even though it lacks that extra layer of symbolism and grief as an explanation for the primal need for connection and blood-lust in H is for Hawk, this book is still a fascinating book on falconry and the inevitable struggle between one man's inexplicable obsession (although this can be supplied by the reader after reading H is for Hawk for some background knowledge of White himself) and the untameable wildness of nature.

Best served as supplementary reading for MacDonald's H is for Hawk.

Aside: if I ever decide to arrange my books with the idea that they would have interesting conversations with their neighbours, I'd put The Goshawk between H is for Hawk and Shakespeare, particularly The Taming of the Shrew for reasons listed in The Goshawk itself. ( )
  kitzyl | Jun 30, 2017 |
Well worth a read, but it's an uncomfortable one. Like a cross between The Old Man and the Sea and The Go-between! I found myself sympathising with White's stubbornness, admiring his perseverance and loving his account of fox-hunting. I was fascinated by the hawk himself, and his first bath is absolutely charming, beautifully - and I hope faithfully - described by White. The observations seem pretty sincere, even where they're in ignorance, so you learn with White. Gos' detestation of meat after all the early over-feeding is captivating, and his own human observations - including his reflections on 'The Taming of the Shrew' are illuminating too. I the end though, I wanted him to feel punished, humiliated, broken, wretched, not drinking champagne. Did "God" who made the lamb also make these clumsy, callous, victorious men? Well yes, he did. [I read "H s for Hawk" immediately after reading this.] ( )
  emmakendon | Apr 17, 2017 |
Very fun book. Autobiographical bit about the author training a Goshawk, probably for his own experience to aid in writing The Once and Future King with it's falconry and such. ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
Power over. But who really holds the power? An amble through the forest of falconry by a master, this book is also an exploration of control and self control. "It is a tonic for the less forthright savagery of the human heart." ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

T. H. Whiteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van der Klis, JolandeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Attilae Hunnorum Regi hominum

trucelentissimo, qui flagellum Dei

dictus fuit, ita placuit Astur, ut in

insigni, galea, & pileo eum coron-

atum gestaret.

Aldrovandus
When I first saw him he was a round thing like a clothes basket covered with sacking.
It has never been easy to learn life from books.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140019316, Paperback)

The Goshawk chronicles a concentrated duel between the author and a great hawk. It is the journal of an intense clash of wills - during the bird's training - in which the pride and endurance of the wild raptor are worn down by the insistent willpower of the falconer. The story is by turns comic and tragic - and it is all-absorbing. (5 1/2 X 8 1/4, 222 pages, diagrams)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:24 -0400)

With a foreword by Helen Macdonald, author of the multi-award-winning H IS FOR HAWK.'No hawk can be a pet. There is no sentimentality. In a way, it is the psychiatrist's art. One is matching one's mind against another mind with deadly reason and interest. One desires no transference of affection, demands no ignoble homage or gratitude.… (more)

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,408,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible