How to Read a Film: The World of Movies, Media, Multimedia: Language, History, Theory

by James Monaco

James Monaco discusses the elements necessary to understand how a film conveys its meaning, and, more importantly, how the audience can best discern all that a film is attempting to communicate.

Informative. ( )
  dstephenc759 | Jan 20, 2021 |
I have read all of the fairly thick How to Read a Film by James Monaco. I don't believe that one can learn to read a film from this volume. I believe that its only merit is to introduce a few buzzwords or important names and to list a few hundred books that one might read to further the cinematic experience. For those buzzwords and the bibliography I have given the work one star instead of half a one. ( )
  Mr.Durick | Dec 16, 2013 |
a contribution to transforming the naive consumer to an active "critic" knowing a bit more why that film or scene worked and the other didn’t ( )
  ablueidol | Nov 24, 2006 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,856,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible