Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind

Faith of the Fallen (2000)

by Terry Goodkind

Series: Sword of Truth (6)

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Goodkind's inspiration, one assumes.

English (24)  Italian (1)  All languages (25)
Easily one of the best books in the series thus far, Goodkind continues to expertly explore the indomitable human spirit. In this book, Richard reminds the reader of Howard Roarke, from Ayn Rand's classic work, The Fountainhead, as he remains true to himself and his purpose, regardless of daunting circumstances. Richard and Kahlan find themselves once again torn apart, as Richard is kidnapped by a Sister of the Dark, and taken deep into the Old World. He lives in desperate conditions, but draws on the strength of his convictions to allow him to find success and contentment, greatly inspiring those around him. He utilizes one of his many talents to strike at the heart of the Order, bringing something priceless to thousands of suffering citizens: hope. While Richard is busy in the Old World, Kahlan and others are attempting to divert and resist the Order, and they experience several harrowing ordeals before the book's end. Eventually, Kahlan also finds herself in the Old World, where events reach a fevered pitch, as the plot races to its conclusion. The ending of the book is nothing short of incredible. I highly recommend this book, and I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  silva_44 | Jul 18, 2015 |
My absolute favorite out of the Sword of Truth series. Not only is this a fantasy book, it also incorporates politics and warfare strategies, plus romance between the non-main protagonists of Richard and Kahlan. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Finally! The story starts getting better! It is about as good as Wizard's First Rule! I was interested from the very beginning all the way through to the end. It is definitely one of the better books in the series so far.

The beginning is a little slow, but I was still interested because Richard and Kahlan (along with Cara) finally get to be together without any distractions. Then, all of the sudden their time together was ruined! :( They are separated again throughout the majority of this novel; however, I still found it to be extremely entertaining. Kahlan is involved in many battles when she rejoins with the D'Haran army. Believe me when I say that some of these battles are very interesting. Though her story isn't as good as Richard's, I was still excited to read about the battles taking place. Richard was taken to the heart of the Imperial Order by Nicci, a Sister of the Dark. I don't want to say too much about this and give things away. However, I will say that it was fascinating to read about the Old World and why they are so hated. You get to meet people and read about how they live under the rule of the Imperial Order,and the horrible carvings they have to create. It's no wonder why Richard and Kahlan want to destroy the Imperial Order and save these people.

Throughout the story we get to see a different side of Richard. We always see him destroy with his Sword, but this time he is without his Sword, so we get to see him create! He is very talented with the help of his gift. There was a lot of anticipation and excitement in Richard's story to see how he was going to handle the situation he was in. With Kahlan's life on the line Richard will do anything!

I have to admit that I do not like Nicci! As the story went on I just couldn't believe how ignorant she was even when she gets to the Old World with Richard. Goodkind really brought out my feelings (both good and bad) towards Richard and Nicci in this novel.

Goodkind is a little better with his writing in this novel, though there was some repetition. His detail was amazing! I really felt like I was there with both Richard and Kahlan. You just have to get used to how Goodkind writes his novels and you will enjoy them even more.

Overall, this was one of the best stories so far; I give it a well deserved 5 stars! I found it to be very interesting and especially entertaining. I was engrossed in the novel all the way until the end!

AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
This review refers to the SOT series through book 9.

Terry Goodkind’s first book Wizard’s First Rule was great! Except for the actual First Rule ("People are Stupid"), which was...stupid. The story had so many unique and fascinating characters (especially the secondary ones). I was in love with Richard; I wanted to be a Mord-Sith. The next couple of books of The Sword of Truth were pretty good, too.

Then...I don’t know what happened...it just TOTALLY lost it. The writing style became incredibly annoying and Richard was getting WAY too preachy (constant Ayn Rand-ish humanistic ranting). But, I kept going because I was really invested by this time. And each time I bought one of his $25 hardback books, I found myself rolling my eyes at every passive sentence and starting to fall asleep during the sermons (when did Richard hire a speech writer??).

And the plot really got ssslllllloooowwww (just look at the book covers for Chainfire and Phantom — you can tell we're not going anywhere). But the weirdest thing is that I kept buying these 1 star books! I can’t explain my behavior, except to say that Terry Goodkind is (was) a master at plot and characterization (truly, his secondary characters are so well done). So I kept thinking that things would get better, but they did not. How did he pull off that excellent first booK?? I've learned from this experience that I can put down a book if it's not good. There's too much good literature to read.

According to Mr Goodkind, those of us who have bailed out are ignorant and uneducated. Wow. That is something I have never been called before. I should have realized right from the start ("Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid") what kind of fellow Terry Goodkind is. Here is a quote from a chat session conducted with Mr Goodkind (this used to be on his website, but has now been removed. It is well-documented on the internet, however.):

"Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good — much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them." —Terry Goodkind

I say Terry Goodkind is the one acting like a school child having a tantrum. I regret that he got so much of my money. I hope you won't give him any of yours. If you really want to try a Goodkind book, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out the first few, and then trust me that you don't need to read any further. I will not read the last book. I'm not even tempted. What an ass.
Read more Terry Goodkind book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
It has been a number of years since I read Faith of the Fallen on my journey through the Sword of Truth books, but of all of them, this one stands out the most. To this day, I see the image of the statue and I immediately remember Richard's defiance and Kahlan's tenacity. I remember the evocative nature of the story, the emotions it stirred in me, and no other book by Terry Goodkind has touched me in such a way, through the entire SoT series. ( )
  shammynix | Feb 8, 2014 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
Russell Galen,
 my first true fan, for his steadfast faith in me
She didn't remember dying.
"Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

As his beloved Kahlan lies close/ to death, Richard Rahl, who distrusts prophecy more than anyone, is confronted by a compelling vision - one hat bears a terrible price. It would mean taking Kahlan away to safety while abandoning his people to a grim fate.

As savage hordes stand poised to invade their homeland, Richard and Kahlan's devotion, not only to each other but to their cause and their duty, is imperiled in the descending fury of war.

Amid the turmoil, Nicci, a woman from Richard's past, haunted by her memory of him, makes a fateful decision. Despite Nicci's hunger to understand the source of Richard's indomitable will, her burning passion to destroy him commits her to the unthinkable.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 081257639X, Mass Market Paperback)

Fantasy series fans may argue over the relative merits of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth, George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, but in a world of middle books that go nowhere and endless waits between episodes, Goodkind is certainly still serving up some of the best fantasy on today's menu.

The Seeker of Truth and his Mother Confessor sweetie are both looking a little worse for the wear after their chime-hunt in Soul of the Fire. To top that off, Lord Rahl finds himself a reluctant prophet with the vision that their cause, the fight for freedom against the Imperial Order, is essentially sunk. (Chalk that up to part of the Wizard's First Rule: people really are stupid.) The two lovers soon find themselves separated, Richard off to the Old World thanks to treacherous Sister of the Dark Nicci, and Kahlan left behind, forced to betray Richard and his prophecy by raising an army to fend off the approaching armies of Emperor Jagang.

Whether it's fair or not, Goodkind will likely get beaten up a bit for visiting the trough once too often, à la Jordan. But fear not: Faith of the Fallen does progress at a good clip, and its conclusion--while by no means a final payout--should satisfy. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:00 -0400)

Sequel to Soul of Fire. When a Sister of the Dark captures Richard, he makes a desperate sacrifice to ensure that his beloved Kahlan remains free.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,465,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible