Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind

Faith of the Fallen (2000)

by Terry Goodkind

Series: Sword of Truth (6)

3,389None1,589 (3.85)33
(7) adventure (17) audiobook (8) Book 6 (13) ebook (12) epic (21) epic fantasy (31) fantasy (655) fantasy fiction (12) fiction (199) hardcover (21) HC (7) high fantasy (14) magic (54) novel (15) objectivism (11) own (15) paperback (12) read (51) Richard Rahl (8) romance (7) science fiction (23) series (50) sff (26) sword and sorcery (10) Sword of Truth (227) Terry Goodkind (30) to-read (19) unread (12) wizards (31)
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Goodkind's inspiration, one assumes.

English (21)  Italian (1)  All languages (22)
This review refers to the SOT series through book 9.

Terry Goodkind’s first book Wizard’s First Rule was great! Except for the actual First Rule ("People are Stupid"), which was...stupid. The story had so many unique and fascinating characters (especially the secondary ones). I was in love with Richard; I wanted to be a Mord-Sith. The next couple of books of The Sword of Truth were pretty good, too.

Then...I don’t know what happened...it just TOTALLY lost it. The writing style became incredibly annoying and Richard was getting WAY too preachy (constant Ayn Rand-ish humanistic ranting). But, I kept going because I was really invested by this time. And each time I bought one of his $25 hardback books, I found myself rolling my eyes at every passive sentence and starting to fall asleep during the sermons (when did Richard hire a speech writer??).

And the plot really got ssslllllloooowwww (just look at the book covers for Chainfire and Phantom — you can tell we're not going anywhere). But the weirdest thing is that I kept buying these 1 star books! I can’t explain my behavior, except to say that Terry Goodkind is (was) a master at plot and characterization (truly, his secondary characters are so well done). So I kept thinking that things would get better, but they did not. How did he pull off that excellent first booK?? I've learned from this experience that I can put down a book if it's not good. There's too much good literature to read.

According to Mr Goodkind, those of us who have bailed out are ignorant and uneducated. Wow. That is something I have never been called before. I should have realized right from the start ("Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid") what kind of fellow Terry Goodkind is. Here is a quote from a chat session conducted with Mr Goodkind (this used to be on his website, but has now been removed. It is well-documented on the internet, however.):

"Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good — much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them." —Terry Goodkind

I say Terry Goodkind is the one acting like a school child having a tantrum. I regret that he got so much of my money. I hope you won't give him any of yours. If you really want to try a Goodkind book, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out the first few, and then trust me that you don't need to read any further. I will not read the last book. I'm not even tempted. What an ass.
Read more Terry Goodkind book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
It has been a number of years since I read Faith of the Fallen on my journey through the Sword of Truth books, but of all of them, this one stands out the most. To this day, I see the image of the statue and I immediately remember Richard's defiance and Kahlan's tenacity. I remember the evocative nature of the story, the emotions it stirred in me, and no other book by Terry Goodkind has touched me in such a way, through the entire SoT series. ( )
  shammynix | Feb 8, 2014 |
Another great installment of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. You wouldn't want to be reading any of the books from this series as standalone stories, but as a series they are still going strong. ( )
  clstaff | Nov 5, 2013 |
THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING BOOK IN THE WORLD!!!!! I strongly urge anyone who hasn't read it to do so IMMEDIATELY or live an empty, sad life! Read the whole series - book 1 is Wizard's First Rule, but especially look out for this book! You will be blown away... ( )
  Lauren_Kirk-Cohen | Jun 6, 2013 |
Reviewers of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series seem to fall into three camps. There are those who claim he's a rotten writer and right from the beginning. Why they're reading and reviewing this far into the series I'll never understand. There are pleasures in a trainwreck at times, I know. That's why I read the entire Twilight "Saga"- four miserably written books that are mercifully not all that long. But up to six books of doorstopper length? Did they really read all these? Then there are the ones that just lap these up to the end, convinced Goodkind is the greatest, most profound writer of the human condition EVUH. (Goodkind himself given his interviews seems to be one of that number.)

I'm in the third camp. The one that loved this series at one point, then thought it jumped the shark. Some cite the previous book, Soul of the Fire as where the series declined. Most of those readers who found themselves ultimately disappointed with the series cite this book. I'm actually not one of them. (No, for me Pillars of Creation, the next book, is where things became tedious.)

I do get why people are annoyed by this book though. Goodkind makes no bones about being an Ayn Rand devotee on his website. Unsurprising to me when I found that out, since I thought I could detect libertarian themes in the previous books. Something I found more attractive rather than repellant. But this is the book where it becomes overt--for many a reader it seems, far too overt. Yes, at times you can hear the anvils clanging in this parable about the EVILS of socialism.

Although if I were to point to the book's most annoying characteristic, it was the way in this book Richard becomes an overweening Marty-Stu. Yes, he's the hero. The hero of the series. I didn't blink an eye at him being a master tracker. Or a natural leader and general. Or even the greatest magician of his time. But when after all that he becomes a sculptor who makes Michelangelo seem a slacker? That's when I thought, head, meet desk.

So I can see what the detractors are sniping at in this high fantasy Atlas Shrugged. Truly. Yet I still found this book enormously entertaining. And I liked Nicci and her character arc. She's not up in awesomeness with Cara or Ann in my opinion, but she isn't a Jennsen either. For which, much thanks. ( )
2 vote LisaMaria_C | Oct 17, 2012 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
Russell Galen,
 my first true fan, for his steadfast faith in me
She didn't remember dying.
"Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

As his beloved Kahlan lies close/ to death, Richard Rahl, who distrusts prophecy more than anyone, is confronted by a compelling vision - one hat bears a terrible price. It would mean taking Kahlan away to safety while abandoning his people to a grim fate.

As savage hordes stand poised to invade their homeland, Richard and Kahlan's devotion, not only to each other but to their cause and their duty, is imperiled in the descending fury of war.

Amid the turmoil, Nicci, a woman from Richard's past, haunted by her memory of him, makes a fateful decision. Despite Nicci's hunger to understand the source of Richard's indomitable will, her burning passion to destroy him commits her to the unthinkable.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 081257639X, Mass Market Paperback)

Fantasy series fans may argue over the relative merits of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth, George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, but in a world of middle books that go nowhere and endless waits between episodes, Goodkind is certainly still serving up some of the best fantasy on today's menu.

The Seeker of Truth and his Mother Confessor sweetie are both looking a little worse for the wear after their chime-hunt in Soul of the Fire. To top that off, Lord Rahl finds himself a reluctant prophet with the vision that their cause, the fight for freedom against the Imperial Order, is essentially sunk. (Chalk that up to part of the Wizard's First Rule: people really are stupid.) The two lovers soon find themselves separated, Richard off to the Old World thanks to treacherous Sister of the Dark Nicci, and Kahlan left behind, forced to betray Richard and his prophecy by raising an army to fend off the approaching armies of Emperor Jagang.

Whether it's fair or not, Goodkind will likely get beaten up a bit for visiting the trough once too often, à la Jordan. But fear not: Faith of the Fallen does progress at a good clip, and its conclusion--while by no means a final payout--should satisfy. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:28 -0400)

Sequel to Soul of Fire. When a Sister of the Dark captures Richard, he makes a desperate sacrifice to ensure that his beloved Kahlan remains free.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible