Chronicle of a Death Foretold (1981)

by Gabriel García Márquez

A man returns to the town where a baffling murder took place 27 years earlier, determined to get to the bottom of the story. Just hours after marrying the beautiful Angela Vicario, everyone agrees, Bayardo San Roman returned his bride in disgrace to her parents. Her distraught family forced her to name her first lover; and her twin brothers announced their intention to murder Santiago Nasar for dishonoring their sister. Yet if everyone knew the murder was going to happen, why did no one intervene to stop it? The more that is learned, the less is understood, and as the story races to its inexplicable conclusion, an entire society--not just a pair of murderersis put on trial… (more)
    The Driver's Seat by Muriel Spark (AaronPt)
    AaronPt: Both are odd, short novels that mess around with the conventions of crime fiction.

English (111)  Spanish (30)  Italian (4)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (160)
My current rating is from ignorance. I have always wanted to read One Hundred Years of Solitude by the same author but was given this instead by a Colombian-American friend of mine. He thought it was a good introduction to Marquez and loaned it to me more than a few months ago. I picked it up, finally, and decided it would be a quick read, which it was, and perhaps give me some insight into why I should read more from Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

There is much about the culture and story that I would like to ask my friend about, which I will get an opportunity to do soon. Once my questions are satisfied, I will come back to my review and my rating and make some changes. ( )
  DarrinLett | Aug 14, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
I used to love Marquez. I think I read him now because I used to love him. He is brilliant but too dark for me at present. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I want to liken this to Dürrenmatt's "Der Besuch der alten Dame." A story revealed piece by piece. We'll see at the end if the whole story changes from the beginning. I haven't read analyses yet, but I will right after I write this.

It *looks* like the whole town was to blame. Guzman and the mayor and all of those people who knew about it and did nothing. Santiago's fiancee? She certainly believed it at the time. All of those people who were complicit, and so few who did nothing.

Maybe it's just a comment on society and herd thinking. I'm not sure, and maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. ( )
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |
In short, one expects from ''Chronicle of a Death Foretold'' another powerful dose of the fabulous and surreal. But behold! While in no way resembling conventional social realism, ''Chronicle'' is not nearly so fantastic as Garcia Marquez's earlier novels. It contains a powerfully plausible plot - a dream-like detective story, really, that pursues the questions of why and how two young men have undertaken a brutal murder that they actually had not wanted to commit.

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
文昭, 野谷Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

the hunt for love
is haughty falconry
Gil Vicente

the pursuit or love
is like falconry
(first American edition)
On the day they were going to kill him, Santiago Nasar got up at five-thirty in the morning to wait for the boat the bishop was coming on.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,780,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible