Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel…

Chronicle of a Death Foretold (1981)

by Gabriel García Márquez

Recently added byamanomanaba, antoniomm67, bkaer, ghsmediacenter, private library, albertomm98, Jrijnsburger
    The Driver's Seat by Muriel Spark (AaronPt)
    AaronPt: Both are odd, short novels that mess around with the conventions of crime fiction.

English (86)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (116)
Çok güzel ve akıcıydı. ( )
  beyzx | Dec 11, 2018 |
One of my favourite books ever!! I read it first in Spanish and then in English - beautifully translated. The film's great too. ( )
  SuziBaker | Nov 27, 2018 |
All the masterful storytelling of Marquez in a short form. We see into the lives and morals of a Columbian village that is torn apart by a murder that everyone knew will happen but failed to prevent. Some think the threat is not real, some approve the honor killing, and those trying to do something are stopped by trivial accidents. The story unfolds in memories, re-tellings, jumping back and forth in time, and we feel drawn into the time and place, and a certain code of honor and morality. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
‘’There had never been a death more foretold.’’

Santiago is murdered in the market of a Colombian town. The perpetrators are two brothers. His crime? The supposed defilement of their sister, whose marriage to a young man was broken because she wasn’t a virgin. Márquez does something extraordinary here. He creates one of his finest works, a crime mystery where the question isn’t who or what but why. Why did everything happen in such a way? Why do people have to resort to such actions? Why are we worse than the wildest animals? Márquez is concerned with human nature and the origin of truth and lies, In nonlinear narrative, written in first-person account, based on real-life events, Márquez creates a masterpiece whose title entered our everyday speech, whose inevitable violence still shocks us.

‘’Lowlifes’’ {..} shitty animals that can’t do anything that isn’t something awful.’’

When I first read this novella, some 10-odd years ago, I was studying in university and a colleague asked me why on Earth would I ever read a book whose outcome is known beforehand. There is an idiot in every corner and Márquez seemed to know that well. The portraits of the town residents couldn’t have been darker. They condemn Santiago because his origins aren’t the same as their own. He is an Other, therefore he is guilty without the benefit of doubt. Does this ring a bell? Everybody knows what is to come but no one warns him. The police do nothing, the priest forgets the most fundamental of Christ’s teaching and does nothing. When the mob condemns you, you don’t stand a chance. Márquez’s contempt and disgust are evident throughout the novella.

Márquez also touches on the themes of gender equality and ‘’purity’’. Santiago isn’t painted in favourable colours, his contempt and violence towards women are often mentioned. Angela is a rather controversial character too. You cannot take a solemn vow whether she speaks the truth or not, she is fickle and empty-headed and as much of a tragic character like Santiago. Was she raped? Was she in love with an other man? These are the actual mysteries of the story.

‘’I saw the knives in the light from the street lamps and it looked to me that they were dripping blood.’’

Márquez is the writer who paved the way for Magical Realism, incorporating its elements to each story in a subtle, poetic way, making the narration flow without turning into Fantasy. This became a common feature in Latin American Literature and quite a few writers tried to mimic him with poor results. In Chronicle of a Death Foretold, the omens acquire an almost Biblical significance. The weather, the animals- primarily dogs- the prophetic dreams bring to mind the fables of the signs that precede a catastrophe. Think of the omens described in Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, in the night before the vile murder took place.

Every book by Márquez requires patience, dedication and a close attention to the story in order to fully understand the wealth and magic of his writing. Márquez is a Latin American Dostoevsky, a writer that should be required reading if we want teenagers to ever become accomplished readers.

‘’Give me a prejudice and I will move the world.’’

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com ( )
1 vote AmaliaGavea | Aug 9, 2018 |
I am not a fan of the writing style in this one. It seemed sparse and repetitive. Maybe something got lost in translation? The large cast of primarily one-dimensional characters made it hard for me to keep track of everyone. Although important to the narrative, unanswered questions in the story also annoyed me. Still, I appreciate the value of the literature and its authenticity. ( )
  Kylalala | Jun 24, 2018 |
In short, one expects from ''Chronicle of a Death Foretold'' another powerful dose of the fabulous and surreal. But behold! While in no way resembling conventional social realism, ''Chronicle'' is not nearly so fantastic as Garcia Marquez's earlier novels. It contains a powerfully plausible plot - a dream-like detective story, really, that pursues the questions of why and how two young men have undertaken a brutal murder that they actually had not wanted to commit.

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
文昭, 野谷Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
the hunt for love
is haughty falconry
Gil Vicente
On the day they were going to kill him, Santiago Nasar got up at five-thirty in the morning to wait for the boat the bishop was coming on.
Translation of: Crónica de una muerte anunciada

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140003471X, Paperback)

A man returns to the town where a baffling murder took place 27 years earlier, determined to get to the bottom of the story. Just hours after marrying the beautiful Angela Vicario, everyone agrees, Bayardo San Roman returned his bride in disgrace to her parents. Her distraught family forced her to name her first lover; and her twin brothers announced their intention to murder Santiago Nasar for dishonoring their sister.
Yet if everyone knew the murder was going to happen, why did no one intervene to stop it? The more that is learned, the less is understood, and as the story races to its inexplicable conclusion, an entire society--not just a pair of murderers—is put on trial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:04 -0400)

A young man tries to uncover the truth behind a shocking murder that took place nearly thirty years ealier, looking to the town's residents to rebuild the events of the crime and try to determine why no one stopped the killer when everyone seemed to know his intentions.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible