When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chödrön

When Things Fall Apart (1996)

by Pema Chödrön

English (36)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (38)
What a wonderful book. I don't know as it contains any new ideas but Pema disseminates Buddhist teaching is a very digestible relatable way and I think anyone's life could be improved by reading this book. ( )
  ZephyrusW | Feb 17, 2019 |
I found this book to be full of ideas and theories that I was not familiar with. It is a collection of talks and teachings that Chodron had given throughout her life as a Buddhist Nun. I am not as familiar with this style, so I found them slightly difficult to read and very redundant. Maybe her style is just to talk in circles, but it feels a lot like a transcript for a TED talk, and I think ultimately i would get more out of an audiobook than I did this. It will take a few re-reads go let it all sink in. ( )
  Karen.Helfrick | Jan 16, 2019 |
A must-read for those interested in or practicing Buddhism. I know I'll be reading this many more times throughout my life. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
Pema Chodron's sage wisdom can be applied to so many situations. I picked up this book because it sort of feels like we're at war in this country. Every one is so angry and there is a strong us vs. them mentality that is shouted at us, whether it's reading the news or browsing the web. Even so many of the hot titles this year have been polarizing. So the title of this book seemed like this would be a perfect choice to read right now.

What I discovered wasn't advice on dealing with the election and red vs. blue, but wisdom on handling conflict, whether it's external or from within. This book is pretty short, but there is a lot packed into it. I found myself really slowing down as I read this. Rather then going from one chapter to the next, I would pause and spend a few days of reflection thinking about her words. This is a book that you can (and should) read repeatedly. Excellent for anyone on their own personal growth journey. ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 19, 2018 |
"Life is a good teacher and a good friend. Things are always in transition, if we could only realize it. Nothing ever sums itself up in the way that we like to dream about. The off-center, in-between state is an ideal situation, a situation in which we don't get caught, and in which we can open our hearts and minds beyond limit."
  PendleHillLibrary | Oct 16, 2018 |

How can we go on living when things fall apart—when we are overcome by pain, fear, and anxiety? Pema Chödrön’s answer to that question contains some spectacularly good news: there is a fundamental happiness readily available to each one of us, no matter how difficult things seem to be. To find it, according to traditional Buddhist teaching, we must learn to stop running from suffering and instead actually learn to approach it—fearlessly, compassionately, and with curiosity. This radical practice enables us to use all situations, even very painful ones, as means for discovering the truth and love that are utterly indestructible.

A collection of essays by the American Buddhist nun in which she offers advice on how to find happiness by moving toward painful situations and learning to remain peaceful in the midst of chaos.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,226,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible