The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

The Republic of Thieves

by Scott Lynch

This was the book I was waiting for. The "Sabetha" book. Even though she had no part in the previous two books, her character was built up as being crucially important to Locke, and I was dying to find out why.

The Republic of Thieves takes its name from a fictional play that young Locke, Jean, Calo, Galdi, and Sabetha perform as part of a task they're set to by Chains. Naturally, it's a near-impossible task, which is likely why Chains sent them. Part of the book is told in flashbacks to this time, to their early scams and deeds, and to Locke and Beth's early love.

The main part of the book takes place in the present, after the bondsmagi Patience cures Locke in exchange for him and Jean working for her on what the bondsmagi call their "five year game." Since they are barred from using their powers on each other the bonsdmagi take sides in a local election, often bringing in outsiders to help achieve victory. For Patience's side, those outsiders are Locke and Jean. For the other side, it's Sabetha. And one more thing: If the bondsmagi even think the three of them are conspiring together, they'll all be killed. I don't think it's a spoiler to say the bondsmagi can't be trusted. After all, Locke says that nearly every time he encounters one.

If you think I did not squeal out loud at the thought of Locke and Beth matching wits then you do not know me at all. Sneaking around, setting traps for each other, always trying to outdo one another--it's courtship to them and catnip to me. Beth and Jean's relationship isn't ignored, though; they're as happy to see each other as the family they are, and without all the awkwardness between Beth and Locke.

This book felt like a reunion. It had the Locke from before he was poisoned, the Jean who shed some of his sadness, and lots and lots of memories of the twins and Chains. It was fun to see everyone doing what they do for love of the challenge and the challenger.

I'll be looking forward to the next book in this series. You know, the one that was set up ever so nicely at the very end of this one.

(Provided by publisher) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
This was terrific. We get Locke, Jean, and Sabetha, their backstory (Scott pulls off the old past-present alternating chapters well), and a contest with unfair rules and unfairer outcome. I loved how, again, Scott makes clear that the women in the story (mostly Sabetha, but not only) have agency, and character. No matter if they choose to fuck people or not, their choices are shown to be theirs and valid, and men who don't respect that are shown to be assholes. It's great. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
I will write a longer review later but having finished the book tonight I can only say, "I love the Gentlemen Bastards." This book and this series are great. I know it's going to be a wait for the next one but I thrilled this one wrapped up the main story :) ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
I'm not quite sure what to think of this book. There's a good book hiding in there somewhere, but if so, it's very well hidden.

First off, about half the book consists of flashbacks, which was a terrible decision overall. The flashback story - back to when our protagonists were teenagers in Camorra - is actually good, if a bit too metatextual for my taste. It would have made a perfectly good novella or even its own novel, but as a part of this novel it is an annoying distraction, since it adds almost nothing to the main story.

And as for that main story, it is a huge disappointment. Well, not entirely. The ending was good, but that was only the last fifty pages or so. The rest of the main story completely revolves around the main character's love interest. If you were expecting a novel about Locke and Jean trying to rig an election in the city of the bondsmagi, you'll find some of that in there, but they are thwarted at every opportunity by Sabetha, who is not only hotter but also smarter than the two heroes, and Locke spends most of the book either pining for her or trying to woo her. The bondsmagi are mostly wasted as well.

All in all, I'd say that the basic premise had huge potential. The author simply chose not to use it. ( )
  Rodo | Feb 16, 2018 |
The Gentleman bastard series keeps getting better with this book and I can't wait for book #4 to be released. This book takes you back and forth in Locke's life. It builds/explains the love relationships and much, much more. The end of the books sets up the next book leaving you wanting more. ( )
  egrant5329 | Jan 20, 2018 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carre, BenjaminCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jason McCray,
one man who in his time
has played many parts.
Place ten dozen hungry orphan thieves in a dank burrow of vaults and tunnels beneath what used to be a graveyard, put them under the supervision of one partly crippled old man, and you will soon find that governing them becomes a delicate business.

After their adventures on the high seas, Locke and Jean are brought back to earth with a thump. Jean is mourning the loss of his lover and Locke must live with the fallout of crossing the all-powerful magical assassins the Bonds Magi. It is a fall-out that will pit both men against Locke's own long lost love. Sabetha is Locke's childhood sweetheart, the love of Locke's life and now it is time for them to meet again. Employed on different sides of a vicious dispute between factions of the Bonds Sabetha has just one goal - to destroy Locke for ever. The Gentleman Bastard sequence has become a literary sensation in fantasy circles and now, with the third book, Scott Lynch is set to seal that success.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:40 -0400)

A latest installment in the popular series that includes Red Seas Under Red Skies finds con man Locke Lamora's latest scrapes with fellow Gentleman Bastard Jean Tannen giving way to an increasingly audacious resolve to have an incredibly good time while robbing the world blind. With what should have been the greatest heist of their career gone spectacularly sour, Locke and his trusted partner, Jean, have barely escaped with their lives.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,927,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible