King Arthur and His Knights (1953)

by Roger Lancelyn Green

A retelling of the story of the boy fated to be the "true-born King of Britain," covering his glorious reign and his tragic, yet triumphant, passing.
    Taliessin through Logres, The Region of the Summer Stars, and Arthurian Torso by Charles Williams (SherryThompson)
    SherryThompson: If you enjoyed reading Roger Lancelyn Green's account of the Arthurian legends, and are ready for a challenge in reading 20th century verse written about the same time, I suggest Charles Williams' 2 small books of verse, combined here with Lewis' patient explanation of each poem in the cycle. (I always read these together, Green first. See also my review of Green.)… (more)

English (22)  Spanish (2)  All languages (24)
Il ciclo della Tavola Rotonda rielaborato dall'autore, con illustrazioni in bianco e nero ( )
  Drusetta | Jan 1, 2021 |
This is a very readable account of the story of King Arthur. Years ago, I wasn't able to get into T.H. White, but this was very enjoyable. ( )
  datrappert | Sep 19, 2020 |
This was one of the books that I read aloud to Jefferson. But then someone else read him the last chapter and put it away, so I needed to go grab it and read the last chapter before I counted it. That actually happened months ago, but I didn't get around to that last chapter until just now.

Jefferson likes stories and games with knights and wizards, so I thought I should read him one of the originals. But when I started this with Jefferson, I thought I'd picked another miss, because it seemed so dry, and I thought I was going to have to put it away until he was older. But then he would ask some question that would prove he was paying careful attention, or he would leap up for a dramatic reenactment to prove that he was definitely captivated by the story.

So these stories weren't exactly what I was expecting, but Jefferson loved them. And I enjoyed becoming more familiar with the Arthurian legends. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Josh
  LoBiancoBuzzard | Apr 4, 2017 |
Really liked it. Had never read in its entirety. Glad I did. Very gallant and full of imperfect heroes constantly sparring, saving ladies and seeking adventures. ( )
  beetlebub2000 | Dec 10, 2015 |

Green, Roger Lancelynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beardsley, AubreyIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiniger, LotteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DEDICATED
TO
BYNG HUSBAND
After wicked King Vortigern had first invited the Saxons to settle in Britain and help him to fight the Picts and Scots, the land was never long at peace.
[Author's Note] The story of King Arthur and the adventures of his knights have been told so very many times that there seems at first sight little excuse for retelling them yet again.
[Epilogue] Sir Launcelot landed at Dover and asked of the townspeople where King Arthur was.
This is Roger Lancelyn Green's retelling of Malory's Morte Darthur, published in several editions. Do not combine with any other books of the same title or any other Malory adaptations. Do not combine with "King Arthur's Court" by the same author, which is an abridgement.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,338,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible