King Arthur and His Knights of the Round…

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table: Newly Re-Told Out Of The… (1953)

by Roger Lancelyn Green

Recently added byksamuel, superboy, payton.ouber, private library, HopeAcademy1930, kyoy, Avemariaga, tracyeast, TirzaMarie
Legacy LibrariesArthur Ransome
    Taliessin through Logres, The Region of the Summer Stars, and Arthurian Torso by Charles Williams (SherryThompson)
    SherryThompson: If you enjoyed reading Roger Lancelyn Green's account of the Arthurian legends, and are ready for a challenge in reading 20th century verse written about the same time, I suggest Charles Williams' 2 small books of verse, combined here with Lewis' patient explanation of each poem in the cycle. (I always read these together, Green first. See also my review of Green.)… (more)

English (20)  Spanish (1)  All languages (21)
This was one of the books that I read aloud to Jefferson. But then someone else read him the last chapter and put it away, so I needed to go grab it and read the last chapter before I counted it. That actually happened months ago, but I didn't get around to that last chapter until just now.

Jefferson likes stories and games with knights and wizards, so I thought I should read him one of the originals. But when I started this with Jefferson, I thought I'd picked another miss, because it seemed so dry, and I thought I was going to have to put it away until he was older. But then he would ask some question that would prove he was paying careful attention, or he would leap up for a dramatic reenactment to prove that he was definitely captivated by the story.

So these stories weren't exactly what I was expecting, but Jefferson loved them. And I enjoyed becoming more familiar with the Arthurian legends. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Josh
  LoBiancoBuzzard | Apr 4, 2017 |
Really liked it. Had never read in its entirety. Glad I did. Very gallant and full of imperfect heroes constantly sparring, saving ladies and seeking adventures. ( )
  beetlebub2000 | Dec 10, 2015 |
  angiestahl | Nov 26, 2015 |
I really loved this book - it was such a different writing style than what I normally read. Rather than telling it like an actual story, it was more like a telling of events.
My favorite character was definitely Arthur, though I did think that as King he should have been a little bit more active instead of watching all his knights do all the work.
The end was very sad, but interesting...
WARNING! SPOILERS!
I didn't understand why Lancelot and Guinevere didn't end up together. After fighting so much to be together, at the end they just give it all up, even when they've won, and go and become monk/nuns. Even if they are ashamed of such tragedy resulting in their love - they should have stayed together.
I was fascinated by the writing style at first but as the book wore on the reading got harder. It took me a while to finish it, because at the last few chapters I got very bored of the writing style and didn't pick up the book for another week or two.
Still, despite the writing style getting a little dry, this book is definitely recommended - the best account of King Arthur I've ever come across.
  BrynnV | Nov 25, 2014 |

Green, Roger LancelynAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beardsley, AubreyIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiniger, LotteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wormell, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Byng Husband
After wicked King Vortigern had first invited the Saxons to settle in Britain and help him to fight the Picts and Scots, the land was never long at peace.
This is Roger Lancelyn Green's retelling of Malory's Morte Darthur, published in several editions. Do not combine with any other books of the same title or any other Malory adaptations. Do not combine with "King Arthur's Court" by the same author, which is an abridgement.

A legend is born when young Arthur meets Merlin and draws the mighty sword from its stone. This spellbinding retelling brings to life King Arthur and the adventures of his Knights, from the quest for the Holy Grail to the final tragedy of the Last Battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:47 -0400)

This classic version of the Arthurian tales gives a new insight to the golden age of Logres. From the birth of Arthur and the sword in the stone to the quest for the Holy Grail and the last battle at Camlann, the clash between good and evil is rich in mystery and excitement.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,370,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible