The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert A.…

The Cat Who Walks Through Walls (1985)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Series: Lazarus Long (4), World As Myth (3)

20th century (13) adventure (9) American (19) cats (15) ebook (11) fantasy (23) fiction (321) future history (24) hardcover (21) Heinlein (66) Lazarus Long (45) mmpb (11) multiverse (9) novel (32) own (27) owned (9) paperback (38) parallel worlds (9) pb (9) read (80) science fiction (864) series (9) sf (146) sff (71) space (10) space travel (13) speculative fiction (18) time travel (49) to-read (21) unread (24)

I enjoyed many parts of the book but there were some racist points that I thought were not needed. As well I did not really know if the main characters were bantering in a satirical way or if Heinlein was expressing his true views. Some parts were confusing and were written as (Spoiler) changing timelines would have been and therefore expressed how the protagonist, Richard, would have felt. ( )
  Noonecanstop | Mar 2, 2014 |
A murder happens in the first chapter and then takes off from there. It leads them to the moon and other places. I like his writing but I can see his politics too clearly in it - which is off putting - as Heinlein is some kind of rabid Libertarian. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |
A fun read, though there was a little too much deus ex machina toward the end... or should I say Lazarus Long ex machina?

Edit: or perhaps Alien space bats. LOL. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
One of Heinlein's last books, and not one of his best. It represents yet another installment in the "World As Myth" theme that he used so often later in life, and therefore includes many characters from his older, better works - including, inevitably, Lazarus Long, who continues his long (pun intended) degeneration from the original interesting protagonist of "Methuselah's Children" into an annoying incest-freak, Heinlein surrogate, self-parody (I suspect), and all-around jerk-who-must-be-worshiped-due-to-his-natural-moral-superiority.

Still, Heinlein retained his great gift as a storyteller even at this late date in his career. And the first two-thirds of the book are basically a well-told, straightforward science fiction adventure story, albeit a chatty one. The main protagonist is yet another Heinlein surrogate, even more thinly-disguised than usual; Richard Ames (apparently born Colin Campbell), a writer, combat veteran, and general man of action and competence.

For the first two-thirds of the book, Ames has near-future adventures in space, told with the usual Heinlein flair - albeit with a greater-than-usual helping of Heinlein smarm and the usual badly dated romantic banter (the older I get, the more obvious it becomes that Heinlein all too often used the language and idioms of his youth in Kansas City - which makes his one exception to that habit, [b:The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress|16690|The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress|Robert A. Heinlein|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166740333s/16690.jpg|1048525], all the more surprising and impressive).

I don't want to get too detailed, so let me wrap this up quickly. Once Lazarus Long enters the picture, the book rapidly degenerates into the usual confused World-Is-Myth mishmash, with the obligatory long expository party scenes in which far too much is explained. Including (of course!) lots of sex, homophobia overcome, and incest. Please don't get the idea that I'm a prude! Actually, I am a prude in many ways, but not when it comes to reading. It's just that Heinlein is so one-sided, and such a one-note author when it comes to sex and incest, that it really becomes tiring and annoying. It's a waste of his incredible talent.

One odd thing: toward the end, a large, black, rage-filled character named Samuel Beaux is suddenly introduced as yet another two-dimensional foil. The pun (if that's what it is) is obvious - Samuel Beaux, "Sam Beaux", "Sambo" - but Heinlein spells it out just to make it clear for the idiots in the crowd. He apparently felt that he nullified the implied racism by suddenly having Ames/Campbell turn out to be black himself, although there were absolutely no clues to indicate that anywhere prior to that point. In fact, Ames calls Beaux "Boy" in the process, which strikes a very false note indeed!

I'm not one of those people who subscribes to the concept of political correctness. Nor do I practice it - I'm a fanatic when it comes to free speech, and believe that the notion of political correctness was either created or adopted as a form of characterizing criticism of racism (and sexism, etc.) as reverse racism. That is, accusations of "political correctness" are usually just an attempt to defend racism and other outdated behaviors; either that, or they're just idiotic attempts to "protect the children" or similar nonsense. I hate racism, but I also strongly object to censorship of [b:Huckleberry Finn|2956|The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn|Mark Twain|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1161831948s/2956.jpg|1835605] and [b:The Story of Doctor Dolittle|325421|The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Books of Wonder)|Hugh Lofting|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173762816s/325421.jpg|803204] on racial grounds.

So I'm not criticising Heinlein for racism per se; as far as I know, he didn't practice racism, and his language is probably just a reflection of the language and concepts that were commonly accepted in the time and place of Heinlein's childhood. But "Sambo" is rather egregious, doesn't really bring anything to the story, and Heinlein's sudden revelation of Ames/Campbell as black strikes me as very phony and dishonest. I disapprove of bullshit, and given that Heinlein always presented himself as tough and plainspoken, that whole passage strikes me as very hypocritical - the literary equivalent of "some of my best friends are gay/black/Jewish/whatever".

Sorry to have gotten so tangled up in the issue of race; it was unplanned.

And now, the ending: I don't like it. No, let me make that stronger: I really don't like the ending. It leaves the plot hanging, badly. What's more, there's a large hole in the plot - we've been told repeatedly that there are only two possible outcomes, and while the outcome isn't necessarily final at the close of the book, it seems to be as close to it as possible - and it doesn't match either of the two scenarios that were presented.

And dammit, it's a sad ending. I don't like that, particularly when kittens are involved. Call it a personal quirk.

Heinlein only wrote one more book after this; I've read it, but don't remember much of it (which is not very high praise, I must say). Unfortunately, that means that I don't remember if there was any mention of the outcome in that book. I suppose I'll have to re-read it to find out.

If it weren't for Heinlein's great skill as a storyteller, I'd have given this two stars at best. It's certainly among his weakest novels. ( )
3 vote PMaranci | Apr 3, 2013 |
It is like J. Peterman is reading this book!

I never finished this, but I enjoyed what i ehard. I think the narrator was true dramatic and I just couldn't keep up with his voice.
  purlewe | Apr 1, 2013 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) prequel

Ah Love!
could you and I with Him conspire
To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire, Would we not shatter it to bits - and then
Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!

RUBAIYAT OF OMAR KHAYYAM
Quatrain XCIX, Fifth Edition
(as rendered by Edward FitzGerlad)
'Whatever you do, you'll regret it.' Allan McLeod Gray 1905-1975
To
Jerry and Larry and Harry Dean and Dan and Jim Poul and Buz and Sarge
(Men to have at your back)

R.A.H.
'We need you to kill a man.'
From Publishers Weekly
As the old guard of SF ages, we are getting more novels of nostalgia. Heinlein is less sentimental than many of his generation but his new book resembles both the latest Bradbury, in making the author the protagonist, and the latest Asimov, in returning to a popular series from early in his career (Future History). Like Heinlein, Richard Ames is an ex-military man turned writer who fancies himself a pundit. An assassination attempt precipitates his marriage to Gwen Novak and sends the newlyweds scurrying to the Moon and then to the planet Tertius, headquarters of the Time Corps. The action, though, is largely beside the point in a novel that is predominantly a dialogue between the protagonists. Their foredoomed attempt to become the Nick and Nora Charles of space (with a bonsai standing in for Asta) is sabotaged less by Heinlein's endless elbow-in-the-ribs wisecracks and more by his inability to convincingly portray a sexual relationship. Given the increasing popularity of his recent, similar work, it is unlikely that the book's short-comings will limit its potentially large audience. November 11
Copyright 1985 Reed Business Information, Inc.
---------

From the back:
IN The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, he creates his most compelling character ever: Dr Richard Ames, ex-military man, sometime writer and unfortunate victim of mistaken identity.
When a stranger attempting to deliver a cryptic message is shot dead at his dinner table, Ames is thrown head first into danger, intrigue, and other dimensions where Lazarus long still thrives, where Jubal Harshaw lives surrounded by beautiful women, and where a daring plot to rescue the sentient computer called Mike can change the direction of all human history.

Dr. Richard Ames and Gwen Novak witness a murder and have to run for their lives. Luckily nothing slows them down as they make their escape from a planned community turned sour.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,541,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible