The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert A.…

The Cat Who Walks Through Walls (1985)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Series: Lazarus Long (4), World As Myth (3)

English (40)  All (1)  All (41)
boring-extreme immorality ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Though I am calling this a reread, I don't think I actually finished it the first time I read it.

I love Heinlein, his books may blow your mind. Some of his ideas are definitely a little out there, but he does make you think, which is a good thing.

The story itself almost reminds me of a Simpsons episode - you start off thinking it's about one thing, and by the end it's totally different.

Part of my 2015 reading challenge was to try to read more of Heinleins' books ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
I enjoyed a majority of this book, the good pace and quirky dialogue was enjoyable at the beginning. However towards the end of the book it gets bogged down with too many characters and themes being jammed into the back end of the story, it also slows up with tons of dialogue that instead being a nice distraction almost becomes irritating and boring. The very end is also a extreme let down, given the time invested in the lead character. ( )
  TheBishop34 | May 31, 2016 |
I liked this book, though not sure exactly why. For the most part it is light reading. The relationship between Richard & Gwen is interesting, part sexist and part feminist. Richard, macho. Gwen, seeming helpless female who carries her own weight and more. I enjoyed the multiverse plot line and the discussions. ( )
  kewaynco | Apr 10, 2016 |
This book started out interesting, but the longer I read, the more it dragged. I remember now why I don't like later Heinlein. Too much boring sexist talk, too many in-jokes. The first time a character's nipples crinkled when she heard something she liked, I thought it was strange but minor. After women's nipples started crinkling right and left, I still thought it was strange but I also found it irritating. And that's just one example in the midst of women needing a good cry, women needing their bottoms spanked and turning ink, women kissing people thoroughly as a greeting, etc. Finally, when the entire plot took a left turn from Luna City into the multiverse and characters from previous Heinlein novels, things became just too weird and the dialogue too preachy for me to continue. I don't have enough time to read everything I want to read, and wish I hadn't spent as much time as I did on this. ( )
  iBeth | Feb 10, 2016 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) prequel

Ah Love!
could you and I with Him conspire
To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire, Would we not shatter it to bits - and then
Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!

RUBAIYAT OF OMAR KHAYYAM
Quatrain XCIX, Fifth Edition
(as rendered by Edward FitzGerlad)
'Whatever you do, you'll regret it.' Allan McLeod Gray 1905-1975
To
Jerry and Larry and Harry Dean and Dan and Jim Poul and Buz and Sarge
(Men to have at your back)

R.A.H.
'We need you to kill a man.'

From Publishers Weekly
As the old guard of SF ages, we are getting more novels of nostalgia. Heinlein is less sentimental than many of his generation but his new book resembles both the latest Bradbury, in making the author the protagonist, and the latest Asimov, in returning to a popular series from early in his career (Future History). Like Heinlein, Richard Ames is an ex-military man turned writer who fancies himself a pundit. An assassination attempt precipitates his marriage to Gwen Novak and sends the newlyweds scurrying to the Moon and then to the planet Tertius, headquarters of the Time Corps. The action, though, is largely beside the point in a novel that is predominantly a dialogue between the protagonists. Their foredoomed attempt to become the Nick and Nora Charles of space (with a bonsai standing in for Asta) is sabotaged less by Heinlein's endless elbow-in-the-ribs wisecracks and more by his inability to convincingly portray a sexual relationship. Given the increasing popularity of his recent, similar work, it is unlikely that the book's short-comings will limit its potentially large audience. November 11
Copyright 1985 Reed Business Information, Inc.
---------

From the back:
IN The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, he creates his most compelling character ever: Dr Richard Ames, ex-military man, sometime writer and unfortunate victim of mistaken identity.
When a stranger attempting to deliver a cryptic message is shot dead at his dinner table, Ames is thrown head first into danger, intrigue, and other dimensions where Lazarus long still thrives, where Jubal Harshaw lives surrounded by beautiful women, and where a daring plot to rescue the sentient computer called Mike can change the direction of all human history.

Join forces with a swashbuckling duo of inter-galactic space rogues struggling to save the future and history of civilization.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,807,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible