The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert A.…

The Cat Who Walks Through Walls (1985)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Series: Lazarus Long (4), World As Myth (3)

Recently added byDL_Orton, LuxWhite, TedBond, private library, MaireG, jdmorgan, grownsync, nmele, JimPivarski

About a hundred pages into this "late Heinlein" novel, I stopped to wonder where all the nonstop action and escapes were going. When I found out, I almost stopped reading. I am rapidly becoming a convert to the school which says RAH's later work is junk. I find the "meta-verse" device--the idea that all characters and stories are true in alternate universes--potentially interesting but not so much in Heinlein's treatment here. I am also kind of tired of polyamorous inest, etc. Heinlein is not a sexy writer, he is a writer who writes tediously of sex. Reading this has put me off RAH's later work for the time being. I shall have to find a copy of "The Star Beast" or "Have Sapcesuit, Will Travel". ( )
  nmele | Jun 15, 2015 |
This was one of those rollicking adventures with lots of ideas to impress a teen - I'm sure I read it a few times. I'm not sure I'd like it so much now. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I probably would have liked this more if I had read his past work more (such as The Number of the Beast, which is about many of the events this book refers to). The only Heinlein I have read is Stranger in a Strange Land (which has characters from that novel appearing in this one) and Have Spacesuit Will Travel. I liked the World is Myth concept, but I felt lost because I didn't know all the backstories. Will read those, and then revisit this book and see what I think. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
I enjoyed many parts of the book but there were some racist points that I thought were not needed. As well I did not really know if the main characters were bantering in a satirical way or if Heinlein was expressing his true views. Some parts were confusing and were written as (Spoiler) changing timelines would have been and therefore expressed how the protagonist, Richard, would have felt. ( )
  Noonecanstop | Mar 2, 2014 |
A murder happens in the first chapter and then takes off from there. It leads them to the moon and other places. I like his writing but I can see his politics too clearly in it - which is off putting - as Heinlein is some kind of rabid Libertarian. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) prequel

Ah Love!
could you and I with Him conspire
To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire, Would we not shatter it to bits - and then
Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!

RUBAIYAT OF OMAR KHAYYAM
Quatrain XCIX, Fifth Edition
(as rendered by Edward FitzGerlad)
'Whatever you do, you'll regret it.' Allan McLeod Gray 1905-1975
To
Jerry and Larry and Harry Dean and Dan and Jim Poul and Buz and Sarge
(Men to have at your back)

R.A.H.
'We need you to kill a man.'
From Publishers Weekly
As the old guard of SF ages, we are getting more novels of nostalgia. Heinlein is less sentimental than many of his generation but his new book resembles both the latest Bradbury, in making the author the protagonist, and the latest Asimov, in returning to a popular series from early in his career (Future History). Like Heinlein, Richard Ames is an ex-military man turned writer who fancies himself a pundit. An assassination attempt precipitates his marriage to Gwen Novak and sends the newlyweds scurrying to the Moon and then to the planet Tertius, headquarters of the Time Corps. The action, though, is largely beside the point in a novel that is predominantly a dialogue between the protagonists. Their foredoomed attempt to become the Nick and Nora Charles of space (with a bonsai standing in for Asta) is sabotaged less by Heinlein's endless elbow-in-the-ribs wisecracks and more by his inability to convincingly portray a sexual relationship. Given the increasing popularity of his recent, similar work, it is unlikely that the book's short-comings will limit its potentially large audience. November 11
Copyright 1985 Reed Business Information, Inc.
---------

From the back:
IN The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, he creates his most compelling character ever: Dr Richard Ames, ex-military man, sometime writer and unfortunate victim of mistaken identity.
When a stranger attempting to deliver a cryptic message is shot dead at his dinner table, Ames is thrown head first into danger, intrigue, and other dimensions where Lazarus long still thrives, where Jubal Harshaw lives surrounded by beautiful women, and where a daring plot to rescue the sentient computer called Mike can change the direction of all human history.

Join forces with a swashbuckling duo of inter-galactic space rogues struggling to save the future and history of civilization.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,887,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible