Soldiers' Pay by William Faulkner

Soldiers' Pay (1926)

by William Faulkner

Other authors: Joseph Blotner (Editor)

Series: William Faulkner Manuscripts (3.2)

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Personajes muy bien construidos. Diálogos buenísimos ( )
  aliolica | Jun 24, 2016 |
I've never been a big fan of William Faulkner, and this book, SOLDIER'S PAY, didn't change that. It seemed overly pretentious, verbose and pompous to the point of being boring. Faulkner's language has always been dense and ornate, but it simply did not work with this subject - a damaged and scarred veteran returning home to Georgia from the war. I'm always interested in reading books about the World Wars, but this one was just too tedious and did not work at all for me. I gave up on it after about 100 pages. My apologies to the late great Mr. Faulkner, but I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this book. (Although I did like the retro cover of this old paperback version.) P.S. I kept reading SOLDIER'S PAY, but it didn't get any better - too many characters, mostly unbelievable. Just a muddy mess of a novel, really. But it was his first one, and I know he got better, so ... ( )
1 vote TimBazzett | Dec 16, 2014 |
Almost wholly unremarkable maudlin soap opera with a few traces of Faulkner's future impressive style here and there. I give it three stars because I was entertained and there were a couple of vividly drawn characters I could relate to but this is definitely not a classic or anything anyone needs to add to their queue. ( )
1 vote jhudsui | Dec 8, 2013 |
455. Soldiers' Pay, by William Faulkner (read 24 Dec 1952) When I finished this book I said of it: "First published in 1926, it shows little evidence of the later Faulkner style. I thought it dull and boring." ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | May 10, 2013 |
At its best when Faulkner is just himself, but much of the time it tries too hard to resonate. The dialogue is often particularly uncomfortable. Felt more like an old movie screenplay than anything else and it’s more interesting as Faulkner’s first novel than as a novel in itself. 2.75 stars. ( )
1 vote Michael.Xolotl | Mar 5, 2013 |

William Faulknerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blotner, JosephEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This is a post war story of a wounded, helpless and dying officer returning home to his father and his fickle sweetheart in Georgia.

Legacy Library: William Faulkner

William Faulkner has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Faulkner's legacy profile.

See William Faulkner's author page.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0871401665, 0871403102

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible