Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Upanishads by Anonymous

The Upanishads (1947)

by Anonymous

Series: Upanishads (1-2), Upanishads (1), Upanishads (2)

English (12)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
"Thou are that". The Upanishads is not only enlightening but also refreshing. Highly recommended for any spiritual seeker. ( )
  C_Hawke | Jan 9, 2019 |
It pays to stick with it.

The first edition of the Upanishads that I tried to read was published by a Western university press in the 1920s. From my readings of modern books and extract-books I knew some of the ideas of the Upanishads, at least from being told, but I also wanted to read it for myself, to go on the journey for myself. But I found that to be difficult, and the whole thing seemed like a linguistic joke and very strange. I knew that part of this is the difficulty of reading an ancient book from a different culture, and part of it, indeed, is the difficulty of reading any ancient book: it’s not really easy (although sometimes we assume that it is) to figure out where in the Bible to find the core of the gospel.

Still, eventually I did find that there are parts of the Upanishads which are profound and true and deserve to find their way into modern books and extract-books, and now in this new edition by Eknath Easwaran, the old wisdom really comes to light, and I see now just much more is here than a linguistic joke.
  smallself | Jul 23, 2018 |
The Upanishands are contain some of the most influential texts I've been studying the past three decades. They're also among the most important esoteric texts in the Hindu pantheon of revealed yogic texts. I find this translation dry. Reading the Upanishads should naturally engage up or Heart Center as well as your mind (they should take you beyond the mind into Union with your Self ). After years of studying the Upanishads, this translation suffices. However, I believe
readers new to Vedanta would be better served starting with Eknath Easwaren's translations and commentary on these ecstatic texts. ( )
1 vote BhaktiB | Mar 3, 2017 |
In this translation the author blends accuracy and readability. Contains an introduction discussing the social, philosophical and religious background of the texts and explains key concepts.
1 vote PendleHillLibrary | Sep 17, 2014 |
Having never studied Hinduism, I found this book somewhat difficult to understand. I feel that I would have understood it much better if I were reading it for a class, or had someone who understands it around to explain it to me. Some of the concepts are very strange to me, and yet thought provoking. I think that I need to do some research into the Indian history and culture before I can understand some of the ideas presented. Also, I found some of it very repetitive. ( )
2 vote gcamp | Nov 4, 2010 |

1861-1941

And in Memory of
PROFESSOR MILLICENT MACKENZIE
1862-1942
"Maitreyi," Yajnavalkya said to his wife one day, "the time has come for me to go forth from the worldly life."
Life in the world and life in the spirit are not incompatible.
[INTRODUCTION to the 1965 Penguin edition:]
The Sanskrit word Upanishad, Upa-ni-shad, comes from the verb sad, to sit, with upa, connected with Latin s-ub, under; and ni, found in English be-neath and ne-ther.
Behold the universe in the glory of God: and all that lives and moves on earth.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140441638, Paperback)

The poetic backbone of Hinduism, the millennia-old Upanishads transcend time. The selections offered here illuminate a path that is as "narrow as the edge of a razor" but pregnant with freedom and bliss. Through vivid metaphors and timeless prose, learn how the path of yoga leads beyond the treacherous web of karma to the final, blissful union of the personal soul, atman, with the universal soul, Brahman.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

A selection from twelve Upanishads.

Nilgiri Press

An edition of this book was published by Nilgiri Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,467,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible