The Moon Is Down (1942)

by John Steinbeck

2,873933,626 (3.83)1 / 319
Originally published at the zenith of Nazi Germany's power, The Moon Is Down explores the effects of invasion on both the conquered and the conquerors. Occupied by enemy troops, a small, peaceable town comes face-to-face with evil imposed from the outside and betrayal from within the close-knit community. As he delves into the motivations and emotions of the enemy, Steinbeck uncovers profound and often unsettling truths both about war and human nature.… (more)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (pdebolt)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (chrisharpe)
    The Fall of the Stone City by Ismail Kadare (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Involving the reactions of communities under German occupation
    The Silence of the Sea and Other Stories by Vercors (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Publiés la même année (1942) et en français par le même éditeur (les Editions de Minuit), ces courts récits portent tous deux un regard original sur la relation entre l’occupant et l’occupé, redonnent un visage humain aux protagonistes du conflit et délivrent, quoique de façon différente, un message de dignité et de fidélité aux principes humanistes.… (more)
    Arslan, or A Wind from Bukhara by M. J. Engh (infiniteletters)

English (86)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (93)
The flies have conquered the flypaper... a great explanation of the interactions between the conquerors and the conquered ... and what is known to some as the fight for freedom and to others as rebellion ... ( )
  volfy | Jun 26, 2021 |
This was written seventy-six years ago and it is still relevant today! "Flies conquer flypaper" ( )
  BillGour | Mar 24, 2021 |
1942 wartime novel where the unnamed enemy invade a British island (I'm thinking Germans on Channel Islands?)
We get to know the Germans- the indoctrinated rule follower, the depressed one, struggling with the silent hatred of the locals.
And, too, the locals- the traitor, the quietly courageous..
And the overarching message that whatever the invaders do to individuals, they can't stop the uprising:
"They know that ten heads lopped off will destroy them, but we have people, and in a time of need leaders pop up among us like mushrooms."
In a time of gov control and censorship...and with more enlightened folk every day refusing to comply with covid lies, this felt a really relevant book... ( )
2 vote starbox | Mar 13, 2021 |
this was recommended to me a while ago, and just got to reading it now. it's a quick read, and not a depressing war story like you might think. ( )
  pedstrom | Dec 22, 2020 |
As always I love the writing style and descriptions that give such a great picture into the world that Steinbeck is showing the reader. I had to skip the forward because it was giving away to much, but it's worth going back and getting the context for the book and why he wrote it. ( )
  morgan.goose | Dec 14, 2020 |

To
PAT CONVICI
A Great Editor and
a Great Friend
By ten-forty-five it was all over.
... one of the tendencies of the military mind and pattern is an inability to learn, an inability to see beyond the killing which is its job.
We trained our young men for victory and you've got to admit they're glorious in victory, but they don't quite know how to act in defeat.
They think that just because they have only one leader and one head, we are all like that. They know that ten heads lopped off will destroy them, but we are a free people; we have as many heads as we have people, and in a time of need leaders pop up among us like mushrooms.

"Free men cannot start a war, but once it is started, they can fight on in defeat." This compelling, dignified and moving novel was inspired by and based upon the Nazi invasion of neutral Norway. Set in an imaginary European mining town, it shows what happens when a ruthless totalitarian power is up against an occupied democracy with an overwhelming desire to be free.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,378,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible