Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

My Name is Yoon by Helen Recorvits

My Name is Yoon

by Helen Recorvits

Other authors: Gabi Swiatkowska

Series: Yoon

My name is Yoon is a great book to share in any classroom. The story follows a first-generation Korean-American who is reluctant to learn English. This book shows the struggles students face with moving to a new county and favors acculturation over assimilation. Even though I have never been in this situation, it is still easy to relate to the character. 5 stars! ( )
  ottmichaelt | Mar 12, 2019 |
A glimmer of friendship from another student, a knowing smile from a teacher, a tempting daydream about cupcakes, and the importance of making her parents proud, all shine as moments in the story when Yoon and her family move from Korea to the US. She must learn new letters and learn how to tell the world who she is when she meets her new class. It's no wonder Yoon has some trouble!

One day she is a cat, yearning to curl up in the corner and after a successful shared snack with a friend...she is a cupcake! The story gradually builds, showing the reader little by little what Yoon is doing and thinking, eventually rising to Yoon's understanding that she is still herself or "Shining Wisdom."

A wonderful lesson for anyone struggling with defining themselves in a new group or contending with a name people around them find challenging. It's a gentle story and the illustrations are lovely. The brushtrokes bring depth and light shines out from the teacher who seems to understand what Yoon is up to by words other than her name. I will be excited to see what Yoon's other adventures bring in later books. ( )
  fsgiamba | Feb 13, 2019 |
Yoon is about a little Korean girl name Yoon. She just came to America and is having a rough time assimilating. She feels so alone and refuses to write her name in English. "All the lines and circles stand alone, which is how Yoon feels in the United States." With a little patience from her teacher and parents, Yoon finally accepts her self, and even makes a friend! This was such a precious story and even more adorable illustrations. ( )
  agreenwald | Feb 12, 2019 |
When Yoon's family moves to America, she longs to go back to Korea. Everything is so different in America. She especially doesn't like the way her name looks in English. Is she even the same person if her name looks so different? As she begins to get accustomed to her new school and make new friends, Yoon begins to feel more secure in her identity and realizes she can embrace her new home without giving up herself. Yoon's struggle with her identity is something many immigrants face when they move to a new country with a language and culture that is unfamiliar. This book demonstrates that struggle in a way that children will be able to understand. ( )
  adrouet | Feb 11, 2019 |
In this book Yoon moves from Korea and is not use to America, she does not like the spelling over her name and thinks it is not as pretty as in her own language. Eventually she begins to except America a little more because she has a very nice teacher and she realizes she can still be a shining star in america. That is what her name in Korea means. ( )
  JennySkvarna | Dec 3, 2018 |

Helen Recorvitsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Swiatkowska, Gabisecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My name is Yoon. I came here from Korea, a country far away.
I did not want to learn the new way. I wanted to go back home to Korea. I did not like America. Everything was different here.

Getting to feel at home in a new country

Yoon’s name means Shining Wisdom, and when she writes it in Korean, it looks happy, like dancing figures. But her father tells her that she must learn to write it in English. In English, all the lines and circles stand alone, which is just how Yoon feels in the United States. Yoon isn’t sure that she wants to be YOON. At her new school, she tries out different names – maybe CAT or BIRD. Maybe CUPCAKE!

Helen Recorvits’s spare and inspiring story about a little girl finding her place in a new country is given luminous pictures filled with surprising vistas and dreamscapes by Gabi Swiatkowska.

My Name Is Yoon is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:42 -0400)

Disliking her name as written in English, Korean-born Yoon, or "shining wisdom," refers to herself as "cat," "bird," and "cupcake," as a way to feel more comfortable in her new school and new country.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,492,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible