My Name is Yoon

by Helen Recorvits

Other authors: Gabi Swiatkowska

Series: Yoon

Disliking her name as written in English, Korean-born Yoon, or "shining wisdom," refers to herself as "cat," "bird," and "cupcake," as a way to feel more comfortable in her new school and new country.

This story is told from a little Korean girls point of view. She just moved from Korea to the United States and is told she has to have an American name. She struggles with not wanting to be called the name "Yoon". She chooses to call herself other manes. But by the end of the book she ends up calling herself her new American name "Yoon". ( )
  Mikaelie | Feb 22, 2021 |
This book is about a little Korean girl who immigrates with her family to America. She has many trials and tribulations with fitting in and being comfortable with herself. Her name gets changed from her Korean name to her American name which will be called "Yoon" and she does not like that. She struggles with being able to confidently use that and by the end of the book, she decides to keep it. ( )
  AliyaChin | Feb 22, 2021 |
My Name is Yoon is story about a Korean child moving to America and being introduced to a whole new world. Yoon, our protagonist, loves her name which means Shining Wisdom in Korean. However, after being told she has to write it in English, Yoon doesn't know if she wants to be named Yoon anymore. This book has an important lesson for young students. The reader follows Yoon through her journey of accepting herself and accepting new things. She has many moments of uncertainty and many setbacks, but her perseverance is inspiring. This is a great book for teachers who want to teach about different cultures in their classrooms, which is an important thing to do. ( )
  kaylc05 | Nov 20, 2020 |
Yoon and her family moved from Korea to the United States. She had to go to a new school and learn to spell her name in English. While in school her teacher gave her a piece of paper where she would write her name spelled in English but Yoon didn’t seem to feel comfortable with it. As Yoon began to feel comfortable at school with her peers and teacher she felt better about being in America and with her new name. It was hard for Yoon because everything was unfamiliar in the beginning. Yoon had a hard time feeling welcomed until she met a new friend and the acceptance from her teacher. ( )
  Lakieshal | Apr 2, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book. it is about a girl Yoon who is from Korea. Her family came over to America and started a life here. Her name, Yoon, written in Korean looked really happy, is how she described it. Throughout the book, some words and phrases are repeated, which made them stick out more. In addition to her Korean written name, when she came to America she has to write her name as Soon. She felt each letter stood alone and she related it to how she felt in school in America. She comes to find that no matter how her name is written, she is still Yoon. A message throughout this book os being proud of who you are. ( )
  hbuoye1 | Mar 2, 2020 |

Helen Recorvitsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Swiatkowska, Gabisecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My name is Yoon. I came here from Korea, a country far away.
I did not want to learn the new way. I wanted to go back home to Korea. I did not like America. Everything was different here.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,120,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible