Buried Child (1978)

by Sam Shepard

A scene of madness greets Vince and his girlfriend as they arrive at the squalid farmhouse of Vince's hard-drinking grandparents, who seem to have no idea who he is. Nor does his father, Tilden, a hulking former All-American footballer, or his uncle, who has lost one of his legs to a chain saw. Only the memory of an unwanted child, buried in an undisclosed location, can hope to deliver this family from its sin.… (more)

This was a very solid family drama that completely explored the unit that this assemblage of characters were functioning in. I viewed it, essentially, as an in-depth character study and I was rewarded in kind. Overall, there are some parts where it waves, ever so slightly, but the foundations are strong and push this play towards its conclusion.

3.75 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jul 22, 2019 |
One of my favorite plays. A portrait of the archetypal dysfunctional midwestern American family, in all its bizarre barbarity. The part with the corn and carrots works beautifully on stage. ( )
  deckla | Oct 21, 2018 |
A play that deals with the idea of the family and the expectations and frustrations between its members. Dark and sobering. It address familiar issues but turned up to 11. ( )
  ctkjs | Jan 3, 2018 |
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
Can you say dysfunctional? Yet another example of dramatic writing that pounds you in the face. Effective for what it is, but I prefer a degree of subtlety in character and storytelling. All of the characters were incredibly unlikable. I just can't bring myself to care about them or their situation. The buried child was the lucky one to get away from these creeps. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 18, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,012,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible